Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jun 20, 2017 at 3:45 AM Post #1,291 of 10,023
Well, fact is that granddad Tyll and friends advices are changing and I had promoted on my own WOF the LCD4 far before :o2smile:

And the worst part in this story, to go back to the products Kennerton and the Tyll's WoF, are the French sales statistics of the Odin compared to the LCD4, make by my friend Pierre Paya, a French multi-brand seller (Kennerton, Audeze, JPS, Hifiman, Focal, Stax, Fostex, Enigma acoustic etc ...).

Only 1 LCD4 headphone sold by Pierre Paya (yours) for 94 Odins sold by the same French seller (statistics carried out in March 2017).
http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179160805.html#p179160805

The price factor probably counts and played against the LCD4 (2450 Euros for the Odin versus 5000 Euros for the LCD4: Price in France with 20% tax).

In short, a popular Russian product in France that does not appear on the Tyll's controversial WoF (unlike now the LCD4, placed late "in extremis" on the WoF, it must be said :dt880smile:), but the Odin has always figured at the top of my own WoF (and yet I also owned like other headphones a STAX SR 009, Stax SR 007 mk2, Audeze LCD3F, Sennheiser HD600 and HD 800). I still love it so much!

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #1,292 of 10,023
Hello everyone,

@cladane

If the LCD4 (4,950 € in France, 20 % tax included) is an improvement of the LCD3F (2,490 €) and the LCD-X (2,190 €), well the Odin (2,450 €) is an improvement of the LCD2 (1,290 €), and is equal to the quality of the sound with a well-amplified HE-6 (which is no longer produced), but with a sensitivity (ease of amplification), aesthetics (?) and finish (look the Zebrano version of the Kennerton Odin), much better, and, also, with a little less high-midrange and low-treble in the frequency range curve.

Quote (earfonia and its very good review of the Kennerton Odin entitled "Balance Restored", at the end of the page of the link below):
https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/kennerton-odin.21886/reviews#review-17444

"Audeze LCD-2 Vs Kennerton Odin
Kennerton Odin is pretty much an LCD-2 with improvement in detail retrieval, instrument separation, clarity, transparency, and dynamic. Tonal balance is pretty close between the two, obviously not exactly the same but pretty close. For those who love LCD-2 tonality, and wish to have some improvement in detail, clarity, and dynamic, Odin is a must try. It is almost that simple, that I think that I don’t have to write more about the comparison between the two."

"Audeze LCD-4 Vs Kennerton Odin
I had 3 different sessions for LCD-4 auditions. Twice with the 200 ohm version paired with Woo Audio WA5-LE amplifier at AV One Singapore, and once with the 100 ohm version paired with around 7 watts discrete DIY amplifier that belong to a friend. Odin was compared side by side with the LCD-4 using the same setup. I tend to like the 100 ohm LCD-4 setup slightly better for sounding a tad more lively, but the difference is not much. Both LCD-4 that I tried are generally warmer sounding than Odin. Odin has flatter and more balanced tonality in comparison. LCD-4 has more midrange and midbass emphasize, while Odin has more treble sparkle and extension. LCD-4 has slightly better dynamic and punch. Mid-bass punch is better on LCD-4, while Odin has slightly better sub-bass to mid-bass balance. Perceived detail, clarity, and instrument separation is slightly better on Odin, but not by much. Probably the more sparkling treble helps in the perceived detail and clarity. LCD-4 sounds a tad smoother and has a kind of cohesiveness to the sound that somehow makes the instrument separation less clear than Odin. Perceived size of soundstage is more or less similar, with Odin sounds slightly more spacious and holographic and the LCD-4 sounds closer and more intimate."

"Hifiman HE-6 Vs Kennerton Odin
I’m glad to say that my old Hifiman HE-6 still competes very well with the newer Kennerton Odin. Being older and cheaper than Odin, I don’t feel that HE-6 is inferior in this comparison. At least from the perspective of musical enjoyment, I would say they give me more or less a similar level of musical enjoyment. In comparison to Odin, HE-6 tonality is mildly V shape, with slightly more emphasis on the treble and level of transparency, and slightly more potent bass. When properly driven, HE-6 has slightly better dynamic than Odin. But HE-6 is well known for being one of the most difficult headphones in the world to be properly driven, while on the other hand, Odin is much easier to drive and doesn’t require high power amplifier to produce lifelike and enjoyable dynamic. Currently, I use Matrix HPA-3B with around 3.8 Watt output power at 33 ohms to drive HE-6. Definitely, not the most powerful amp for HE-6, but for now I feel it is quite sufficient for HE-6. I tend to hear both Odin and HE-6 as two different headphones with more similarities than differences. They have rather similar ‘planar’ tonal density, quite similar in dynamic and perceived soundstage imaging. The main difference is in tonality as mentioned earlier. I do prefer the Odin tonality for a fuller and more engaging midrange, with the more intimate vocal presentation. While HE-6 can be more fun with large scale complex orchestra. In my book, they are almost equally good. If I have to choose between the two, I slightly prefer the Odin, but not by much. They are both among the most musical headphones I’ve ever tried."

Note: About the tone of these 3 headphones above (and others), the author of this review of headphones (in link above) also says:

Quote : " If I could generalize those headphones into 3 groups based only by their perceived tonality, it would be something like the following:

Group 1: Natural with some emphasis on clarity & transparency:
Beyerdynamic T1
Focal Utopia
Hifiman HE-6
Hifiman HE-1000 v2
Sennheiser HD800

Group 2: Natural with a slight touch of warmness:
Audeze LCD-2
Audio-Technica ATH-R70x
Kennerton Odin

Group 3: Natural warm:
Audeze LCD-4 "

Note: And I will add, personally, for owning them both, and also having the same ear sensitivity as earfonia:

The Stax SR-009, in the group 1 (very transparent headphone, but a little clear and brillant).

The Audeze LCD3F, in the group 3 (warm tone headphone, with a luxuriant mid-range, very pleasant).

Note, the Audeze LCD2 tested by earfonia is probably a model F (Fazor) (LCD2F) of 2016, clearer and more balanced for the tone than older models LCD2.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2017 at 4:18 AM Post #1,293 of 10,023
Hello Ken fans,

You will notice @eric65 that @cleriensis of the HCFR forum has put in sell his Utopia to buy a less expensive LCD2F saying that he doesn't find too much difference.
I have understood that his goal is to buy a new amp.
Strange behavior for a company manager to downsize, perhaps lack of funds?

I agree with the LCD4 earphonia report. Those headphones are very good at choirs reproduction; intimate sounding which brings the singers closer.
Like I wrote I think that e-stats fans should listen to Susvara...

Odin are really euphonic and that's what makes them appealing among audiophiles.

Jun 22, 2017 at 4:38 AM Post #1,294 of 10,023
Hello Ken fans,

You will notice @eric65 that @cleriensis of the HCFR forum has put in sell his Utopia to buy a less expensive LCD2F saying that he doesn't find too much difference.
I have understood that his goal is to buy a new amp.

Strange behavior for a company manager to downsize, perhaps lack of funds?

I agree with the LCD4 earphonia report. Those headphones are very good at choirs reproduction; intimate sounding which brings the singers closer.
Like I wrote I think that e-stats fans should listen to Susvara...

Odin are really euphonic and that's what makes them appealing among audiophiles.

Yes, I saw.
He (Cleriensis, a french sound engineer) says the greatest good of the Audeze LCD2F headphone (version 2016); It became his main headphones of his studio since he sold his Utopia.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #1,295 of 10,023
driver.jpg
looks promising!

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:26 AM Post #1,297 of 10,023
Indeed, we got first samples of reworked Odin drivers. There will be multiple different variants we will test before release, it is just the first of them. The release will be, most likely, in the fall of this year. We aim for further stabililty and repeatability of production without changing sound signature much.

Jun 23, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #1,298 of 10,023
Indeed, we got first samples of reworked Odin drivers. There will be multiple different variants we will test before release, it is just the first of them. The release will be, most likely, in the fall of this year. We aim for further stabililty and repeatability of production without changing sound signature much.

Good, a more light version of the Kennerton Odin ; excellent idea !
Good job ! :)

Jun 23, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #1,300 of 10,023
We aim to bring those samples to CanJam London so anybody can compare them to stock. We think there is also some improvement to the sound as well.

Less good news (for me), however: a more light version of the Kennerton Odin (with lightweight planar "carbon" drivers) with, in addition, an improved sound, is a bad news for @ithilienrp, @Arcamera and me, because it would force us to upgrade our system with this new improved Odin. :dt880smile:
Happy future owners of this upgraded version of the Odin, lighter, and even better for the sound!
To see (and listen) at the CanJam London, absolutely ...
Good job, anyway! Well done! :)

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #1,301 of 10,023
9963032.jpg

@cladane, the honeycomb design (hexagonal alveolar) external conductive traces on the 10 or 8 um (?) Kepton membrane of these newly improved drivers of the Odin (light "carbon" version above), with, I imagine, below the frame in carbon, several powerful semi-circular neodymium magnets, is particularly suitable for listening to the symphonic work of Rimsky Korsakov, "the Flight of the Bumblebee"! :dt880smile:

Here with two Youtube version (animated and symphonic) of "the Flight of the Bumblebee" :

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #1,305 of 10,023
I'll see well, for the beginning of the year 2018, an Odin "mk3?" with the new planar "carbon" drivers, lighter (and also better ?), with the new Litz wire Kennerton cable, cotton sheath, also in Zebrano finish wood, in addition to my current Odin "mk2" in Karelian birch wood :) (Note: I recently lent to my brother, with the LCD3-F, my first Odin mk1 (first series) in Sapele wood); So I have currently only one headphone at home (the one in Karelian birch), but what a headphone! (I love it !)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back