Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jun 5, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #1,276 of 10,023
hey guys, is there any audio experience difference between varnished wood and natural wood? Would one be more durable than the other? Or is it simply a matter of aesthetics?

Thanks

I assume it is about the Vali, yes? Anyhow, as @eric65 said, both wood options are aesthetics only for both Odin and Vali. I have no comment on durability and longevity between the two finish options, but having own both, I can say that both finishings seem to be very durable. From Kennerton's documentation, they seem to treat the wood very very well while finishing them.

Jun 6, 2017 at 3:51 AM Post #1,277 of 10,023
I assume it is about the Vali, yes? Anyhow, as @eric65 said, both wood options are aesthetics only for both Odin and Vali. I have no comment on durability and longevity between the two finish options, but having own both, I can say that both finishings seem to be very durable. From Kennerton's documentation, they seem to treat the wood very very well while finishing them.

Note: For a world-class collector, the quality of wood preservation is very important.

For example: here are (below) two examples of collections of wooden objects that should pass millennia without problems (for the wood conservation); I would not say so much for the happy owner of the objects in question; Though ... :dt880smile:.

First example:
9944643.jpeg

The world's largest collection of wooden headphones (from the 21st century) :)
(Note: only a small part of the Ithilienrp's collection is represented here (the most beautiful models, in order of ranking)).

Second example:
699670museeturin55.jpg

Sarcophagus in painted and decorated wood. The goddess of the West is painted on the bottom of the vat. (Museum of Turin, Italy).

and:
840004bbbbb.jpg

Tomb of Tutankhamun
In the first wooden sarcophagus with gold leaf (in the 2nd plan) was a second wooden sarcophagus also painted in different colors (in the foreground).

What is common between these Egyptian objects of antiquity and Kennerton headphones (Odin and Vali)?
Easy to response at this question: it's their weight, quality of construction and their durability.

About that: an Odin, gold-plated? why not.

Gold is unalterable and the diamonds, uh ... the Odins are eternal ... (smile)

PS: Sorry Ithilienrp, I've virtualy borrowed your wooden Odin from Sapele to bring it into an Egyptian museum (see the picture above); For posterity ... :dt880smile:

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2017 at 5:20 AM Post #1,278 of 10,023
@cladane

Your system has evolved well over time:

Old system
3530778689211bb.jpg

From left to right: Kennerton Odin (mk1 version); Audeze LCD4 (200 Ohm version); JPS Abyss (standard version) (not Phi)
+ Viva Egoista 845 amp.

New system
141865eJp9bb.jpg

From left to right: Focal Utopia (standard version) (not the upgraded version of Tyll) (smile); Audeze LCD4 (200 Ohm version); JPS Abyss (Phi version); Hifiman Susvara.
In the background: amplifier Viva Egoista 2A3 re-tubed with KR audio tubes.

Finally, what are the strengths and weaknesses of all these headphones, both on classical music but also on more vigorous "modern" music?

Currently; Which one (s) do you prefer?

PS: your avatar picture (below) should be updated ... (smile)

5831599647985lbb.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #1,280 of 10,023
Hello.
A corner of the veil rises about the future affordable closed headphone Kennerton.

4353431851405015271153939965529218626235431649280n002.jpg

Source: max_audiomasterAffordable Hi-End 4 all. Bio-cell, aluminium, titanium, leather & wood... #fischeraudio #Kennerton
Can you give us any updates on this yet Eric65?

Jun 14, 2017 at 6:04 PM Post #1,281 of 10,023
Can you give us any updates on this yet Eric65?

Hi.

Not now.

Maybe the Kennerton Team could if they think the product (and the headband) are finalized?

Otherwise, according with the french forum, I know that the commercialization of the new Kennerton Magister Pro took a little behind due to a problem of reliability of a mechanical piece in the headband; This headphone is not expected until September 2017 (instead of June); Otherwise it would be an improved version of the Magister with a more consistent frequency response.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #1,282 of 10,023
Hi.

Not now.

Maybe the Kennerton Team could if they think the product (and the headband) are finalized?

Otherwise, according with the french forum, I know that the commercialization of the new Kennerton Magister Pro took a little behind due to a problem of reliability of a mechanical piece in the headband; This headphone is not expected until September 2017 (instead of June); Otherwise it would be an improved version of the Magister with a more consistent frequency response.
Nice, sounds interesting. Will be looking forward to it in the future then, thank you for responding.

Jun 16, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #1,283 of 10,023
Hi all.

The Odin "master of the bass" according Cleriensis, a French sound engineer (on the French forum HCFR), surprising ... no?
Even if the bass of the Odin are less deep and less powerful (in sound level) than those of the master Abyss (first generation), they would be more qualitative (than quantitative) than the Abyss because they would be better defined, more subtle and better textured.
According to this sound engineer, the Odin (and the Vali) offer a very coherent image, a good mix between width and depth and a deep vivacity without excess of sibilance.
Read more at http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post179241442.html#p179241442
Cleriensis reproaches at the Odin a transition for the mids with the high mids (upper medium) which would be perfectible, with a certain lack of level in the high mids (2 KHz) giving the sound a somewhat dull character in this frequency range; Which is not false and renders more acceptable certain female voices which would otherwise be too loud or nasal; Which can be found, for example, with the HE-6, the Stax SR-009 and the Utopia, which on the contrary of the Kennerton Odin can have a small coquetry in the high mids (1-2 KHz) or in the low treble (4 KHz) with respect to the mid (500 Hz).

Jun 16, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #1,284 of 10,023
Hello Ken fans,
@cladane

Your system has evolved well over time:

Finally, what are the strengths and weaknesses of all these headphones, both on classical music but also on more vigorous "modern" music?

Currently; Which one (s) do you prefer?

Actually my updated headphones family:

D44mZ.jpg

Waiting for the VIVA 845 mk2 which place is at the right where actually the Abyss Phi (Superconductor cable) seats gently.
Just noticed that the LCD4 entered the WOF. Very well since those headphones are high quality choirs capable.
A new member which will make speak of is the Susvara. Incredible openness, beautiful trebles, a great contender for the Orchestra.

Jun 16, 2017 at 2:25 PM Post #1,285 of 10,023
Hello Claude.

Very impressive headphone system!

124969829805D44mZbccddd.jpg

I see that the headphones Kennerton Odin and Vali are still part of the family. (smile)

It still misses these electrostatic headphones: Hifiman Shangri La, Senneisher Orpheus HE1060, Stax SR-009 and 007, to be complete! :dt880smile:

PS: I have allowed myself to improve the quality of your photograph above.

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 1:17 AM Post #1,286 of 10,023
Hi all.

Soon a new evaluation of the Kennerton Odin and its improved cable (in Litz wire), but this time by Lieven, Headfonia.com Manager - Audio Consultant.

19120567_223488548160700_594886265082478592_n.jpg

"The Kennerton Odin is this week's office headphone. Awesome cable as well."

In addition, here is a close-up picture of the Kennerton Vali in Natural Wood.

19122071_299918543801102_699205076467580928_n.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2017 at 3:50 PM Post #1,287 of 10,023
Ah yes @eric65, the picture now is clearer.
About e-stats, I'm not really convinced generally by their trebles presentation. I find it a bit thin. And you should now listen to Susvara with a capable amp to hear how trebles can be reproduced so nicely. Higher top-class than e-stats.

Jun 17, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #1,288 of 10,023
Ah yes @eric65, the picture now is clearer.
About e-stats, I'm not really convinced generally by their trebles presentation. I find it a bit thin. And you should now listen to Susvara with a capable amp to hear how trebles can be reproduced so nicely. Higher top-class than e-stats.

Good evening, Claude.

Me too regarding the Stax SR-009; I find this electrostatic headphone very aerial, but with somewhat thin timbres and artificial, see "Supernatural" ... in any case wich lacking in natural, and in the long run a little boring (for me) (especialy in comparison to the Odin)
See also my first comparison of the Odin with the Stax SR-009 and the LCD3F, on HCFR.
Read more at http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...nside-t30059943-1980.html#2aD6A3u1YfY4AeS1.99

Regarding the headphone Hifiman Susvara that you seem to appreciate better than your LCD4, in particular for it openness and it beautiful treble; well, let's wait for a (future) review of this headphone by Tyll Hertsens ... (smile).

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 4:02 AM Post #1,289 of 10,023
Hi all.

I have a question to ask @dub, this time on head-fi (and not on HCFR because I will not participate in this French forum, at least until the end of the summer 2017, see definitively ..., to protest against the intolerance of some of its members when I talk about Kennerton products).

As you know, I have owned as a headphone amplifier, an Audiovalve RKV2 amp, then the Audiovalve Luminare amp. I liked them a lot with the headphone Audeze LCD3F, the Sennheiser HD-600 and lastly the Kennerton Odin Mk1, before switching to other amplifiers until it is currently the Viva Egoista 2A3 amp + Kennerton Odin mk1 and mk2 wired in Litz wire, for me the top of my quest in the field of amplifiers.

I heard that you bought recently an Audiovalve RKV3 amplifier, an ivory white color version! :dt880smile:

(Note: warning "Mode Humor" for the following ...).

Why a white version of the RKV3? While it also exists in black, and that it was even discussed, a moment, by the friend Helmut, a red version?

I may have an early response; This may be a deliberate political choice; I explain: The Odin, a Russian headphone par excellence, was tested by a French magazine (one-mag.fr) and qualified by the French (and obviously also Russophile) editor of this review of "Tzar (Tsar) audiophile of Russia". https://www.on-mag.fr/index.php/top...r-kennerton-odin-le-tsar-audiophile-de-russie
So yes, a white color amplifier "Pro Tsar color", for a Russian headphone, "Tsar audiophile of (all) Russia (s)", fits him better than a red color amplifier "Soviet color", see a black color amplifier "Anarchist color".

More seriously, the "tube sound" of the Audiovalve amps "more full" and warm is also well suited to this "Tsar audiophile of Russia" (ie the Odin), just like that of my Viva 2A3 amp; But differently with an another tube amplifier, also of white color, the Auris HA2 SE amp, which may also suit the Odin, but with, it seems, a sound less full, less warm and clearer. A question of taste, above all.

Finally, who would have thought that you, dub, could trade with the whites and convert old Russian monetary shares actions of your grandmother (shares from the tsar's Russian railroad) into a 6K (if unused) amp (for the white Ivory version of the RKV3)! :dt880smile:
Though, like me, you buy this amp in second-hand.
(Note: buy in second-hand, like me for the very nice and excelent Italian amp Viva 2A3, orange color "apolitical" (for me), although for others, the white "pro-Russian" is sometimes in political opposition with the orange "pro Western of the Ukrainian Orange Revolution", but it is another story...).

In short, without further talking about politics (except, perhaps, the price policy of some headphones sold in France: Stax SR-009 (5.5 K€), Audeze LCD4 (5 K€), Hifiman Susvara (6 K€) for example), are you always happy with your Odin, this time on the RKV3 amp?

Eric

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017 at 6:24 AM Post #1,290 of 10,023
Regarding the headphone Hifiman Susvara that you seem to appreciate better than your LCD4, in particular for it openness and it beautiful treble; well, let's wait for a (future) review of this headphone by Tyll Hertsens ... (smile).
Definitely Susvara, LCD4 and Odin don't give the same sound presentation, Odin being closer but Susvara offers an unseen openness. LCD4 sounds comparatively 'closed' with its trebles very monitored.

Well, fact is that granddad Tyll and friends advices are changing and I had promoted on my own WOF the LCD4 far before :o2smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back