Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Oct 7, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #8,416 of 10,035
This is going to be kind a hodgepodge of a comparison. I have been in an out of the Hospital for the last 2 months due to my health. Still not quite all here. So forgive me if I babble incoherently about something that doesn't make sense. I will also try to upload the Fequency Response charts of my headphones once I get a chance. I personally don't care about them but I know they are important to some.

Rognir: ECL-03 pads. Thror: ECL-02 pads. Final: Stock pads. Listened to all on my R8MK2 connected to my Master-9 which is then connected to a 3 way switcher for rapid headphone swapping.

The Rognir, Thror, and d8k Pro are pretty similar in overall performance. which is to be expected once you get into the Flagship market of headphones. The main differences will more-or-less come down to tuning.

I will do my best to explain the difference between them to the best of my ability. Though, I'm not great at this once the price of headphones gets this high. I figured, since bass seems to be the main thing people want to know about, and it is easy enough to compare, I would do a quick direct comparison between the Rognir, Thror, and D8000 Pro

Bass- Rognir>D8000 Pro>Thror

Rognir:
This is still the king of bass to me. It has more quantity than the other 2 with out it being over barring. It has incredible speed and control with out taking any of the life out of it. It reaches deep into the lows with excellent sub rumble.

D8000 Pro:
Reaches just as deep as the Rognir but lacks the quantity and presence of the Rognir. It has a great sub bass rumble but seems lacking compared to the Rognir. Bass is just as fast and controlled as the Rognir.

Thror:
Least amount of bass of the 3. It's bass so tight and controlled with such a hard and tight snap that it tends to lose a little of its life. Doesn't reach quite as far in to the sub bas as the other 2. Lacking in sub Bass rumble compared to the other 2.

Now on to the rambling.

Basically all I learned from doing this is that all 3 headphones are incredible. They all have there strengths and weaknesses. Though due to how velvety the D8000 Pro is the Thror and Rognir end up sounding hollow when you swap to them after listening to the Final.

The D8k Pro is a Velvety smooth listening experience that is incredibly hard to beat when it comes to kicking back, putting your feet up and just listing for pure enjoyment. Though I did find that micro details and and very quite instruments tend to get pushed to the back can can be lost in the sea of velvet that is these headphones. Of the 3 the sound stage is the smallest on these but only by a very small amount. They are also the most comfortable and least fatiguing of the 3. You can, and I have, listen to them all day with out any problem.

Example of quieter instruments being pushed back on the Final. In the beginning of the song, City in Florida by DeadMau5, there is a pretty quite "squishy" noise that plays along with the beat. On the Final it is about half as loud and much further pushed out of focuses compared to the other 2. It is still there just much less noticeable when compared to the Rognir and especially when compared to the Thror.

The Rognir is all about speed and attack with an in your face sound signature that is super engaging and energetic. They have a fantastic airy quality to them that give a boost to the overall sound stage that surpasses the Final and is on par with the Thror. Which is incredible for a closed back headphone. They are perfect for high energy songs and listening. They have pretty similar detail level to the Final, maybe, ever so slightly, a little bit less. They are the best when it comes to bass and are going to be hard to de-throne. Due to how energetic they are. They can be pretty fautiuging for long listening sessions. They demand to be listened to at high volume and you will find it hard to disagree with them. So I can really only listen for 2-3 hours at a time before my ears need a break. They are also probably the least comfortable of the 3. Not say they are bad just not a big fan of self adjusting headphone since I can't set the fit to be perfect for me.

The Thror is the most neutral of the 3. They kinda fall between the Final and Rognir as far as signature goes. Not nearly as lush as the Final and no where near as violent and in you face as the Rognir. When it comes to micro details the Thror is so accurate it is frighting. While listening to Spokey Dokey by the Seatbelts I was able to hear the lips of the harmonica player make the slightes "smack" has they would come off the harmonica when he would go to breath a detail that doesn't even exist when listeing to the song on the either the Rognir or the Final. I thought there was something wrong with the Thror when first listening to the song since the sound didn't exist in the other 2 headphones. Of the 3 headphones the Thror is the best when it comes to instrument separation, presence, micro details. It as has the largest sound stage just beating out the Rognir. They have the least bass of the 3 and have almost on sub bass rumble. So you are trading Sub bass and bass quantity for absolutely insane levels of detail.

In summary. If you want maximum detail get the Thror. If you want the most enjoyable all day listening with excellent bass get the Final. If you want energy, bass, and excitment get the Rognir.

P.S. Was to lazy to pad swap on the comparisons. So just used what I considered to be the "best" pads on the headphones.
Thank you for taking the time to type this despite your health, I wish you all the best.

Your post really make me want to jump on Duranxv's rognir , but for $3.1k it's very steep, especially considering other options .. I seen ridiculous price headphones like Susvara go for $3.3k. This is a decision I will dwell on some more.
I own the D9200. It is kinda hard to compared the D9200 to the Rognir. Since it is comparing Dynamic to Planar. How would you compared the D9200 to the D8000 Pro?

If you love the the Final D8000 Pro the Rognir is on par with it performance wise but more energetic with some more bass quantity.
Yes I agree D9200 is not comparable sound-wise, I only meant it as fulfilling a role in my collection, as the definitive "all-rounder" with closed back isolation capability. With your in-depth comparison I think Rognir could be up to the task, being an energetic headphone with a robust low-end I think this could actually be an accurate description for D9200 as well, although of course with very different presentations.

Oct 7, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #8,417 of 10,035
Hello, I want to buy headphones. I'm thinking about wodan or thekk, but I wonder what the difference is .And do you have any recommendations for headphones? Rognir didn't fit me.
I can only speak about the Thekk (although some others here are familiar with both). The Thekk to me is like a HiFiMan house sound-- detailed and airy, good stage. But the Thekk is a little smoother on top, and richer in tonality/a little more bass. (I'm comparing to my HE1000v2 and HE1000SE for instance). I think it's a very fine headphone.

And yeah, to a previous point (about the Thror)-- Kennerton headphones should definitely get more attention in the mainstream headphone community. For instance, I asked before in the HiFiMan Susvara thread if anyone compared them to the Kennerton Thror (or any other Kennerton)-- zero response. ZMF makes some fine headphones, but people seem to think they're the only headphone company doing great woodwork in personal audio. Oh well. Makes it still feel like an exclusive club :)

Oct 7, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #8,418 of 10,035
ZMF makes some fine headphones, but people seem to think they're the only headphone company doing great woodwork in personal audio. Oh well. Makes it still feel like an exclusive club :)
Although ZMF does make quality products, I just don't like how they finish their wood in compared to Kennerton. ZMF's wood finish feels/looks more like a sturdy plastic in real life to me, and is what I would described as "sterilized". I do not feel that the wood finish justifies their high prices. Kennerton's wood has way more grain, and texture in comparison which makes the headphones feel more raw/natural. Small imperfections in the wood also give Kennerton headphones more charm, and make them feel a little bit more personal. ZMF headphones also look more like art pieces than actual headphones where if you see a Kennerton headphone for the first time you'll be able to tell that it is in fact a headphone, and you also won't look nearly as goofy wearing a pair.

Of course I can still totally see the appeal of how ZMF headphones look, but they are not for me (at least aesthetically)

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 2:38 PM Post #8,419 of 10,035
This is going to be kind a hodgepodge of a comparison. I have been in an out of the Hospital for the last 2 months due to my health. Still not quite all here. So forgive me if I babble incoherently about something that doesn't make sense. I will also try to upload the Fequency Response charts of my headphones once I get a chance. I personally don't care about them but I know they are important to some.

Rognir: ECL-03 pads. Thror: ECL-02 pads. Final: Stock pads. Listened to all on my R8MK2 connected to my Master-9 which is then connected to a 3 way switcher for rapid headphone swapping.

The Rognir, Thror, and d8k Pro are pretty similar in overall performance. which is to be expected once you get into the Flagship market of headphones. The main differences will more-or-less come down to tuning.

I will do my best to explain the difference between them to the best of my ability. Though, I'm not great at this once the price of headphones gets this high. I figured, since bass seems to be the main thing people want to know about, and it is easy enough to compare, I would do a quick direct comparison between the Rognir, Thror, and D8000 Pro

Rognir:
This is still the king of bass to me. It has more quantity than the other 2 with out it being over barring. It has incredible speed and control with out taking any of the life out of it. It reaches deep into the lows with excellent sub rumble.

D8000 Pro:
Reaches just as deep as the Rognir but lacks the quantity and presence of the Rognir. It has a great sub bass rumble but seems lacking compared to the Rognir. Bass is just as fast and controlled as the Rognir.

Thror:
Least amount of bass of the 3. It's bass so tight and controlled with such a hard and tight snap that it tends to lose a little of its life. Doesn't reach quite as far in to the sub bas as the other 2. Lacking in sub Bass rumble compared to the other 2.

Now on to the rambling.

Basically all I learned from doing this is that all 3 headphones are incredible. They all have there strengths and weaknesses. Though due to how velvety the D8000 Pro is the Thror and Rognir end up sounding hollow when you swap to them after listening to the Final.

The D8k Pro is a Velvety smooth listening experience that is incredibly hard to beat when it comes to kicking back, putting your feet up and just listing for pure enjoyment. Though I did find that micro details and and very quite instruments tend to get pushed to the back can can be lost in the sea of velvet that is these headphones. Of the 3 the sound stage is the smallest on these but only by a very small amount. They are also the most comfortable and least fatiguing of the 3. You can, and I have, listen to them all day with out any problem.

Example of quieter instruments being pushed back on the Final. In the beginning of the song, City in Florida by DeadMau5, there is a pretty quite "squishy" noise that plays along with the beat. On the Final it is about half as loud and much further pushed out of focuses compared to the other 2. It is still there just much less noticeable when compared to the Rognir and especially when compared to the Thror.

The Rognir is all about speed and attack with an in your face sound signature that is super engaging and energetic. They have a fantastic airy quality to them that give a boost to the overall sound stage that surpasses the Final and is on par with the Thror. Which is incredible for a closed back headphone. They are perfect for high energy songs and listening. They have pretty similar detail level to the Final, maybe, ever so slightly, a little bit less. They are the best when it comes to bass and are going to be hard to de-throne. Due to how energetic they are. They can be pretty fautiuging for long listening sessions. They demand to be listened to at high volume and you will find it hard to disagree with them. So I can really only listen for 2-3 hours at a time before my ears need a break. They are also probably the least comfortable of the 3. Not say they are bad just not a big fan of self adjusting headphone since I can't set the fit to be perfect for me.

The Thror is the most neutral of the 3. They kinda fall between the Final and Rognir as far as signature goes. Not nearly as lush as the Final and no where near as violent and in you face as the Rognir. When it comes to micro details the Thror is so accurate it is frighting. While listening to Spokey Dokey by the Seatbelts I was able to hear the lips of the harmonica player make the slightes "smack" has they would come off the harmonica when he would go to breath a detail that doesn't even exist when listeing to the song on the either the Rognir or the Final. I thought there was something wrong with the Thror when first listening to the song since the sound didn't exist in the other 2 headphones. Of the 3 headphones the Thror is the best when it comes to instrument separation, presence, micro details. It as has the largest sound stage just beating out the Rognir. They have the least bass of the 3 and have almost on sub bass rumble. So you are trading Sub bass and bass quantity for absolutely insane levels of detail.

In summary. If you want maximum detail get the Thror. If you want the most enjoyable all day listening with excellent bass get the Final. If you want energy, bass, and excitment get the Rognir.

P.S. Was to lazy to pad swap on the comparisons. So just used what I considered to be the "best" pads on the headphones.

Rognir:

D8000 Pro:

Thror:

Now on to the rambling.

I hope you recover asap and can leave the hospital behind...

I get a pretty good gut feeling thanks to your impressions. RP seems to be a good option, next step to audio nirvana.
I hope I can get rid of my Clear OG and replace it with a Rognir.
Am I wrong in thinking that the RP is kind of related to the OG? Having the "advantage" of planar (sub)bass plus being technically advanced ie deeper, wider soundstage more detailed...
Have you ever had/listened a Clear?

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #8,420 of 10,035

I get a pretty good gut feeling thanks to your impressions. RP seems to be a good option, next step to audio nirvana.
Am I wrong in thinking that the RP is kind of related to the OG? Having the "advantage" of planar (sub)bass plus being technically advanced ie deeper, wider soundstage more detailed...
I've never heard the Clear before. As far as I know the og rognir and bass tuned perform the same just the one had more bass. In fact I belive Kenwood now only offers 1 tuning on the Rognir and changed it so the pads are what affect the sound now.

Oct 7, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #8,421 of 10,035

I had the OG Clear at one point. Theres really not that much overlap with the RP. From memory, Clear OG was somewhat flat with poor dynamics. I couldn't really discern anything special about it. In terms of timbre, Clear is closer to Final D8000 Pro, obviously latter better in every respect especially on a technical level. RP has more air in the top end, smoother mids, and much much more punch in the low end compared to Clear.

Oct 7, 2022 at 4:06 PM Post #8,422 of 10,035
I've never heard the Clear before. As far as I know the og rognir and bass tuned perform the same just the one had more bass. In fact I belive Kenwood now only offers 1 tuning on the Rognir and changed it so the pads are what affect the sound now.
Bass tuned isn't only the bass that changed. I'm pretty sure there are many impressions about it in here. If they did make it only 1 I hope it was the bass tuned version as default.

Oct 8, 2022 at 4:43 AM Post #8,423 of 10,035
I can only speak about the Thekk (although some others here are familiar with both). The Thekk to me is like a HiFiMan house sound-- detailed and airy, good stage. But the Thekk is a little smoother on top, and richer in tonality/a little more bass. (I'm comparing to my HE1000v2 and HE1000SE for instance). I think it's a very fine headphone.

And yeah, to a previous point (about the Thror)-- Kennerton headphones should definitely get more attention in the mainstream headphone community. For instance, I asked before in the HiFiMan Susvara thread if anyone compared them to the Kennerton Thror (or any other Kennerton)-- zero response. ZMF makes some fine headphones, but people seem to think they're the only headphone company doing great woodwork in personal audio. Oh well. Makes it still feel like an exclusive club :)
Korea's Kenerton dealers are almost out of stock. There's a stabilized version of thekk, but it's almost $3,000.

Oct 8, 2022 at 9:58 AM Post #8,424 of 10,035
Bass tuned isn't only the bass that changed. I'm pretty sure there are many impressions about it in here. If they did make it only 1 I hope it was the bass tuned version as default.
Alright, interesting, so've been comparing both? What else is different about bass tuned vs standard RP versions according to your impressions?

Oct 8, 2022 at 9:28 PM Post #8,425 of 10,035
I also did a direct A/B with DCA Stealth and found the Stealth lacking in almost every respect. Sorry to DCA fans. I was a big fan of the Noire, but the Stealth were a total dud for me. In addition, if you're in in any sense a "bass head" or concerned with bass, then you need to give the Stealth a hard pass. They're more like studio monitors - totally neutral. I also found them incredibly congested and intimate sounding. Try the Rognir to hear how a closed back can actually sound open.
I was able to audition the Rognir Planar. Leading up to that audition I was most curious about whether or not I'd like them because they are closed back. I was surprised how much I liked them. I hope to be able to hear a pair of bass-tuned Rognir some day. Bass was the only part of the Rognir sound which left me feeling luke-warm. So you have an idea about my preferences, my current favorite head phones are HiFiMAN HE-6 six-screw, though when I auditioned Rognir, I was using HE-500. Rognir is faster and more detailed than HE-500.

Oct 8, 2022 at 10:20 PM Post #8,426 of 10,035
Your post really make me want to jump on Duranxv's rognir , but for $3.1k it's very steep, especially considering other options .. I seen ridiculous price headphones like Susvara go for $3.3k. This is a decision I will dwell on some more.

Don't forget mine is stabilized wood, plus has 4 sets of pads and modded by @John Massaria to enhance it even further :)

Oct 9, 2022 at 1:31 AM Post #8,427 of 10,035
Oct 9, 2022 at 4:45 AM Post #8,428 of 10,035
wodan or thekk
I would wait until you can buy Kennerton HeartLand
HL >> Thekk > Wodan

Wodan are also great headphones, and if you want to save money, then you can safely buy Wodan - they are beautiful. If you don't listen to heavy genres, Wodan is perfect. But if you listen to metal in the same way, you need drive, bass, speed, then HeartLand (not Thekk)

Oct 9, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #8,429 of 10,035
I'm not familiar with this modification, what does it to exactly?

To my ears, I felt the mods gave the Rognir a bit more airiness and clarity in the treble while tightening up the bass a bit more. There was also a bit greater sense of space and depth. I saw it as an overall enhancement to the Rognir rather than it focusing on one aspect only.

@John Massaria can add a few more details here too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back