Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Oct 11, 2021 at 4:22 PM Post #6,151 of 10,015
My 4th week waiting for my newly ordered Rognir Beech Dark Coffee. Such sweet anticipation. I guess it goes like fine wine... :smile_phones:
I've been away travelling and recently returned to my Rogni (also Dark Coffee) and they just continue to impress/satisfy me on every level. These are the only headphones I've had or heard that I wouldn't change anything about. The timbre and technical performance are right on the target.

///

Incidentally, if anyone recalls (or cares) I was waiting to pair the Rognir (and ZMF VC) with an LTA MZ3. Alas, for numerous reasons, it didn't pan out and this pairing won't happen now. LTA themselves are a very good company, but I cannot in good faith recommend LTA EU without some caution....definitely one of more gruelling experiences of my audiophile adventures.

In any case, I plan on now using a TT2 as my main source/amp and thus keeping life simple.

Oct 15, 2021 at 8:37 AM Post #6,153 of 10,015
Almost too late to the party, but my Rögnir finally arrived!
They look even more gorgeous in real life, much better than I expected (shush VC :sunglasses: )!
Rognir.02.png
Rognir.01.png

Rognir.03.png

Now they should sound as good as they look ... from the first minutes of unqualified listening, yes!

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #6,157 of 10,015
Consider this a preview, since I've only had one evening to listen with the new modifications so far. Also, I don't post many impressions, so I apologize in advance if none of it makes sense... lol.

First off, when looking at the modded GH50 Mk2, you'll know that the mod has been performed because the fabric covering in the earpads is gone and the white mesh material that John places over the driver is exposed. One of the bass ports is now uncovered as well. John also offered to replace the pads themselves, at cost, with an upgraded version from Kennerton that has a slightly denser foam inside and what appears to be a softer leather on the outside. I recommend taking him up on this offer, should he present it to you, as they conformed to my head a bit better and feel a bit less bulky than the stock pads. I haven't tried swapping them back to the standard pads, so I don't have any comments on sound differences yet.

For reference, my listening was done on the following setup: Intel NUC PC connected via USB to a Schiit Yggdrasil (Analog 2, Unison USB) which feeds a Woo Audio WA5-LE. The tubes in the WA5-LE are Emission Labs 274B mesh plate rectifiers, NOS 1952 Sylvania 6SN7 "Bad Boy" preamps, and Emission Labs 300B-XLS for power. All my audio files are in FLAC format and ripped from my CD collection. I use JRiver Media Center with no mods for playback. WA5-LE set to low impedance and low power.

Aside: One of the first things I usually listen to when trying out new gear is The Cure's "The Head on the Door", an album I'm intimately familiar with. In particular, the third song, The Blood, has a Spanish Guitar that can point out whether a particular setup has enough energy to properly convey the fast strumming and enough detail retrieval to pick up the brushing of the individual strings. I listen for instrument separation of the castanets, bass guitar, keyboard, and drums. A lot of times, the bass guitar will get drowned out by the guitar and kick drum or sound muffled on headphones with too much mid-bass, echo/reverb, distortion, or simply lacking energy and/or separation. I want to hear it clearly when it starts up and I don't want it to sound like a single tone. The keyboard should come through clearly as well (harpsicord I think it is) without piecing my eardrums or sounding shrill. Vocals should be up-front and center on this song, which isn't as easy as it sounds, since Smith tends to mumble some of the lines.

The first thing I noticed when listening to the freshly modded GH50 Mk2 is that it's easy to pinpoint where sounds are coming from, and the soundstage is wide. And it's not just wide for a closed back... It's wide for anything out there. My comment about feeling like I was listening to a pair of speakers vs headphones was what I was getting at with that statement. I think John is on to something big with his materials that direct the sound and control reflections, all without losing any frequencies in the process. It's actually pretty wild for me to think about it. With the new pads and having John adjust the headband to increase the clamping pressure slightly (it was a bit too loose stock), the drivers are actually closer to my ear, yet sound more open than they did previously.

Instrument separation is spot on. It was already good. Now it's great. Everything is present and has its own space. This is a quality that I look for in headphones more and more. If something is missing or getting pushed to the background, I really notice and just want to take the headphones off and switch to another pair where I'm not missing anything. Going back to the bass guitar on The Blood, not only was it clear and present, but actually had a bit of power and bloom. You know, what a bass guitar should have and most headphones suck at reproducing. That's probably thanks to the "big" bass on the GH50. I'm sure anyone that's heard them knows they're pretty bass heavy. Before the mod, it was sometimes a bit overpowering in my prog and core metal music, and not always accurate, like maybe one of the band members had swiped an amp from Spinal Tap and cranked it to 11. Loud, but not really controlled. Well, at first, when I put on the Mk2, I heard a lot of bass and I was a bit nervous, thinking I was going to have to plug that bass port right away, but as I adjusted to it, I noticed that it wasn't booming like before. I think John has got it tuned to where it really elevates the bass presence without getting in the way and overpowering the rest of the frequencies. That was a concern I had voiced to John before doing the Mk2 and was something that I felt needed addressing. It's subtle, but the more I listened, the more I noticed it was consistently cleaner and less in my face. I haven't done any deathcore listening yet, so the verdict is still out on that...

I want to say that I know what the metal circle behind the driver is doing, or if it's adding some sparkle to the highs and adding staging, but I honestly have no idea. Without a way to do before/after testing, it's just another bit of magic that John added to the mix. I'll have to let him address that in more detail. In my listening yesterday evening, I felt that all frequencies were present and accounted for. I didn't notice anything off or out of place, and do keep in mind that I'm sensitive to treble (I have mild tinnitus) so I focus on it immediately if it's bothering me. Part of my choice of 300B tube amp and mesh rectifiers is to keep the treble under control.

So, what does all this mean? Well, my initial impressions are extremely positive. I think this mod is essential for anyone that really likes the GH50 JM Edition, but wants a bigger soundstage, and not just bigger, but an open feeling that gives each instrument better presence and separation. Also, if you like the bass of the JM Edition you're going to love this mod. It's all still there, but more controlled. Proper power, fullness, and quantity, when called for. These two upgrades combined really gives the Mk2 a speaker-like quality that I'm not getting in any of my other headphones. It's pretty darn unique.

If you're on the fence or not sure if you should do it, I'd recommend just going for it and getting John to do this Mk2 mod now, before he comes to his senses and starts charging more, haha. He did say it's all reversible, just in case you don't like it. Also, his turnaround time was super fast, so you won't be without for long.

I'll try to offer more/better impressions as I get more listening time. So far, I just wrote about the things I immediately noticed and felt excited about, upon hearing them.
I also just got back my GH upgraded to “Mk2” by @John Massaria whom I’d also like to personally thank for his sonic surgery. I’ve been listening to the Mk2 for the past day and I’m very impressed particularly in comparison with my VCs. I’ve been running the Mk2 and the VC on a Tor Audio Balanced transformer coupled tube amp (1980s-era Soviet tubes) and a Flux FA-22 SS amp, both fed by an upsampled 8X stream from Qobuz via Roon to HQPlayer to Zen Stream to Qutest.

Bass — Just Awesome. The bass on the JM edition was already very enjoyable but I echo the earlier comments that the imaging and sound staging are improved over the original. The VCs are still more visceral but the Mk2 seems to perfectly capture the middle ground of the bass presence and dynamic rumble of the VC and the imaging / separation precision and control of the Rögnir. Kick drums in particular are just great.

Midrange — I dare say Mk2 is giving the VC a contest here as well. VCs may still be a touch better in timbre but particularly on the Flux, the Mk2 is exceeding the VC in depth of soundstage for the vocals so it may come down to whether you prefer that “closer to the stage/vocalist” feel or not. I give the Mk2 the edge in vocal imaging and separation precision on many of the tracks with which I tested. The two HPs are trading blows depending on the track in width of soundstage. I may give the Mk2 the slight win in pure width but the VC the win in holographic effect. Call it a tie overall. (Side note — I took the extremes and tested with High on Fire’s Art of Self Defense, a very sludgy album, and with Khruangbin’s Con Todo El Mundo, a very articulated album.)

Treble — Smooth and non-fatiguing on both the Mk2 and VC. I’d give the VCs the edge here in timbre and detail retrieval, particularly on the metallic reverb of cymbals, but not by much.

Overall, the GH JM Mk2 is holding its own against one of the best closed back dynamics in the VCs and doing so at circa half the price. @John Massaria you aren’t charging enough for this mod. :)

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #6,158 of 10,015
I also just got back my GH upgraded to “Mk2” by @John Massaria whom I’d also like to personally thank for his sonic surgery. I’ve been listening to the Mk2 for the past day and I’m very impressed particularly in comparison with my VCs. I’ve been running the Mk2 and the VC on a Tor Audio Balanced transformer coupled tube amp (1980s-era Soviet tubes) and a Flux FA-22 SS amp, both fed by an up-sampled 8X stream from Qobuz via Roon to HQPlayer to Zen Stream to Qutest.

Bass — Just Awesome. The bass on the JM edition was already very enjoyable but I echo the earlier comments that the imaging and sound staging are improved over the original. The VCs are still more visceral but the Mk2 seems to perfectly capture the middle ground of the bass presence and dynamic rumble of the VC and the imaging / separation precision and control of the Rögnir. Kick drums in particular are just great.

Midrange — I dare say Mk2 is giving the VC a contest here as well. VCs may still be a touch better in timbre but particularly on the Flux, the Mk2 is exceeding the VC in depth of sound-stage for the vocals so it may come down to whether you prefer that “closer to the stage/vocalist” feel or not. I give the Mk2 the edge in vocal imaging and separation precision on many of the tracks with which I tested. The two HPs are trading blows depending on the track in width of sound stage. I may give the Mk2 the slight win in pure width but the VC the win in holographic effect. Call it a tie overall. (Side note — I took the extremes and tested with High on Fire’s Art of Self Defense, a very sludgy album, and with Khruangbin’s Con Todo El Mundo, a very articulated album.)

Treble — Smooth and non-fatiguing on both the Mk2 and VC. I’d give the VCs the edge here in timbre and detail retrieval, particularly on the metallic reverb of cymbals, but not by much.

Overall, the GH JM Mk2 is holding its own against one of the best closed back dynamics in the VCs and doing so at circa half the price. @John Massaria you aren’t charging enough for this mod. :)
Thanks very much! I appreciate the feedback -
I’m here if anyone else whats to upgrade their gh50 - over all I think I’m continuing to be impressed with the clarity stage and image and crazy tight bass - I extracted everything I could from this design in the mk2- there aren't just the 5 layers of fiberglass sheets used here but 4 total of 5 layers designs used else where in the cup design. I am pulling out all the stops to make this headphone excel in every detail headphone lovers seek...
I do plan on sending one of my Gh50s JM Mk2 to one reviewer in California named Michael De Lazzer who runs a YT channel called directors garage and then over to Amir at audiosciencereview for a complete brutal test - and then finally - I’m sending it BACK to Russia to Kennerton to see if they can replicate the layers of fiberglass shaped similar to a Fibonacci like pattern that make the image and sound stage sound much larger than even open backs - it’s a time consuming process maybe they can slim down - this non fabric design may just revolutionize all headphones designs and hopefully one day replace the use of typical fabric (a) which tends to mute certain frequencies - replace all fabric in headphones with the fractal (c) fiberglass mutipatern actually helps bring all frequencies out and expand them (see image)
Untietled.png

MIT-Kagome-Metal-01_1.jpg

this is the key to making headphones less in your head I think while not touching any frequency db (no muting)
quantum material

8FFEA9E6-C117-4125-9BAF-E523CB5D8E3F.jpeg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2021 at 1:00 AM Post #6,159 of 10,015
I’m here if anyone else whats to upgrade their gh50 - over all I think I’m continuing to be impressed with the clarity stage and image and crazy tight bass - I extracted everything I could from this design in the mk2- there aren't just the 5 layers of fiberglass sheets used here but three other 5 layers designs used else where in the cup design. I am pulling out all the stops to make this headphone excel in every detail headphone lovers seek...
I do plan on sending one of my Gh50s JM Mk2 to one reviewer in California named Michael De Lazzer who runs a YT channel called directors gargage and then over to Amir at audiosciencereview for a complete brutal test - and then finally - I’m sending it BACK to Russia to Kennerton to see if they can replicate the layers of fiberglass shaped similar to a Fibonacci like pattern that make the image and sound stage sound much larger than even open backs - it’s a time consuming process maybe they can slim down - this non fabric design may just revolutionize all headphones designs and hopefully one day replace the use of typical fabric (a) which tends to mute certain frequencies - replace all fabric in headphones with the fractal (c) fiberglass mutipatern actually helps bring all frequencies out and expand them (see image)
Untietled.png

MIT-Kagome-Metal-01_1.jpg

this is the key to making headphones less in your head I think while not touching any frequency db (no muting)
quantum material

8FFEA9E6-C117-4125-9BAF-E523CB5D8E3F.jpeg
image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Nice. Are you doing this upgrade for other headphones like the Rognir as well?

Oct 16, 2021 at 6:23 AM Post #6,160 of 10,015
Nice. Are you doing this upgrade for other headphones like the Rognir as well?
Eventually I will release a modded rognir absolutely

Oct 16, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #6,161 of 10,015
I’m here if anyone else whats to upgrade their gh50 - over all I think I’m continuing to be impressed with the clarity stage and image and crazy tight bass - I extracted everything I could from this design in the mk2- there aren't just the 5 layers of fiberglass sheets used here but three other 5 layers designs used else where in the cup design. I am pulling out all the stops to make this headphone excel in every detail headphone lovers seek...
I do plan on sending one of my Gh50s JM Mk2 to one reviewer in California named Michael De Lazzer who runs a YT channel called directors gargage and then over to Amir at audiosciencereview for a complete brutal test - and then finally - I’m sending it BACK to Russia to Kennerton to see if they can replicate the layers of fiberglass shaped similar to a Fibonacci like pattern that make the image and sound stage sound much larger than even open backs - it’s a time consuming process maybe they can slim down - this non fabric design may just revolutionize all headphones designs and hopefully one day replace the use of typical fabric (a) which tends to mute certain frequencies - replace all fabric in headphones with the fractal (c) fiberglass mutipatern actually helps bring all frequencies out and expand them (see image)

quantum material

Is this new fabric white only? Is there a black color one?

Oct 16, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #6,162 of 10,015
I've been away travelling and recently returned to my Rogni (also Dark Coffee) and they just continue to impress/satisfy me on every level. These are the only headphones I've had or heard that I wouldn't change anything about. The timbre and technical performance are right on the target.

///

Incidentally, if anyone recalls (or cares) I was waiting to pair the Rognir (and ZMF VC) with an LTA MZ3. Alas, for numerous reasons, it didn't pan out and this pairing won't happen now. LTA themselves are a very good company, but I cannot in good faith recommend LTA EU without some caution....definitely one of more gruelling experiences of my audiophile adventures.

In any case, I plan on now using a TT2 as my main source/amp and thus keeping life simple.
I don't think you'll be disappointed with the Hugo TT 2; it's a great DAC/amp. I haven't tried this with a Rögnir (sadly), but all of my other headphones pair really well with them. It's effectively a Hugo 2 on steroids, IMO. :wink:

Oct 16, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #6,163 of 10,015
Is this new fabric white only? Is there a black color one?
Yes white for now only tested for inside cup
I will test black out next week

Last edited:
Oct 17, 2021 at 2:22 AM Post #6,165 of 10,015
Someone brave send in his (beautiful) Rögnir to ASR and even it measures moderate...
index.php

...with equalization applied Amir seems to be pleased:
... The sum of those 5 filters transformed this headphone like nobody's business. Spatial qualities came back in spades and combined with thundering sub-bass, it was a delight to listen to it. Power handling is superb when driving it with my RME ADI-2 DAC, easily sticking a subwoofer in each of my ears as I turned up the volume for a second!
Out of the box, I cannot in any shape recommend the Kennerton Rognir. With equalization, it turns from a frog to a prince and so very acceptable and even great.
Link: Kennerton Rognir Review (Closed Back Headphone)

I also admit by applying his 5-band EQ setting on my unit to find it more agreeable than stock tuning.
What would be interesting for me, what tuning and pads are on that unit, since the photo is shot from the back, you don't see if its the perforated pad or not.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back