Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Oct 19, 2021 at 10:13 PM Post #6,181 of 10,018
I’m only using it on an ifi micro signature rn. I have a matrix dac and might get a flux fa22. There is enough bass for me since I got the less neutral tuning. I’m not sure how the bass compares to th900 because for some reason that headphone is my least favorite now. I actually thought the bass in verite closed with be2 pads on wasn’t much different from th900 but I have Lawton mod maybe I lost some bass. I think there’s enough bass here and it’s more controlled and hits hard I agree with what nostoi said and I think he had the neutral tuning. Although i think I’d prefer vc for hip hop there’s enough bass for that music. I’m not sure if this is stock tuning it might be but I think they ask you if you want more bass or more neutral tuning.
The Flux Lab Acoustics FA-22 / Gjallarhorn JM Edition is an astounding duet. Layered, reverberant sound, immense dynamic range, textured deep bass, airy sculpted midrange, ethereal treble…(the FA-22 dethroned my longtime solid-state favourite, the Violectric V280 - itself a wizard with the GH/JM…)

Oct 20, 2021 at 4:46 AM Post #6,183 of 10,018
The bass version is the Version 1 tuning? How's the bass compared to the TH900 and VC?

What amp/DAC are you using as well?

@VKazanzhi - I might have to take you up on that offer :) Question: How well do the Rognir's interact with tube amps?
Rognir is a great match for tube amplifiers. I was very pleased with how they worked together with Manley Labs Absolute (USA). Excellent result and full synergy with the Viva Egoista 845 (Italy) and Rivera Audio Labs AIC10-Bal (Italy). And the combination of Rognir with Ray Samuels Emmeline 2 "The Raptor" deprived me of sleep! In my opinion, this American brand is the best I've heard. Ray Samuels amps are fantastic! Don't think of it as advertising, it's just my personal impressions, nothing more. But I'm sorry that so few people pay attention to the humble American company Ray Samuels Audio. His products are brilliant!

Attachments

• Manley & Rognir.jpg
    Manley & Rognir.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 0
Oct 20, 2021 at 5:07 AM Post #6,184 of 10,018
The bass version is the Version 1 tuning? How's the bass compared to the TH900 and VC?

What amp/DAC are you using as well?

@VKazanzhi - I might have to take you up on that offer :) Question: How well do the Rognir's interact with tube amps?
TH900 are great headphones! I'm afraid to even say anything about their bass. Probably nothing compares to them in terms of bass, including the Rognir. I can't say anything about the VC as I listened to them a long time ago, sorry. Usually we use Violectric DAC V850 + HPA V281.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #6,185 of 10,018
Rognir is a great match for tube amplifiers. I was very pleased with how they worked together with Manley Labs Absolute (USA). Excellent result and full synergy with the Viva Egoista 845 (Italy) and Rivera Audio Labs AIC10-Bal (Italy). And the combination of Rognir with Ray Samuels Emmeline 2 "The Raptor" deprived me of sleep! In my opinion, this American brand is the best I've heard. Ray Samuels amps are fantastic! Don't think of it as advertising, it's just my personal impressions, nothing more. But I'm sorry that so few people pay attention to the humble American company Ray Samuels Audio. His products are brilliant!
Wow it's great to read such an established headphone company as Kennerton mention Ray Samuels Audio. Once received, I plan to do some listening with my Rognir and my RSA "The Hornet" as another option. It's a nice little amp. I agree...RSA makes some awesome amps.:L3000:

Oct 20, 2021 at 6:11 AM Post #6,186 of 10,018
I wouldn’t worry about rognir having too little bass unless you get neutral version maybe that’s a different story. I can’t picture anyone saying these are bass light and that’s me having two of the bassier headphones there are.

Oct 20, 2021 at 6:20 AM Post #6,187 of 10,018
Beginning yesterday, I began to receive messages one after another asking me to comment on the latest Rognir test. Someone saw an ulterior motive in it. Some were very surprised (from those who had the opportunity to listen to Rognir with their own ears). Some suggested that the headphones were faulty. I don't want to argue with anyone. To be completely frank, my opinion about all of this can be described by a quote from Confucius: "If someone spits at your back, it means that you are ahead". I apologize, but I am as entitled to my opinion as anyone. Furthermore, I am so confident that the Rognir is one of the best closed headphones that I am willing to offer anyone who takes the risk of ordering these headphones a full refund (excluding shipping costs) if they are not to their liking. Why? And I just want everyone to be able to decide for themselves where the truth is and where it is... delusion.

One last thing... about the measurements. Yes, that's a very important point. But at the same time, there is no one correct universal methodology.
Let's compare non-normalized measurements of the same HiFiMan Ananda (just for example) headphones obtained from different sources (rtings, Crinacle, RAA, DIY-Audio-Heaven) on the same scale:
HiFiman Ananda.png
Which result is correct? The question is meaningless, because the stands are different, because the methodologies are different too, and there is no way we can compare the measurements with the real sound perception.
P.S. Sorry for my awful English...
As someone who has built many, many valve hifi components, and measured them, I have a general comment on measurements in hifi.

When measurements correlate well with observed features of the sound, they are useful; but IMO *only* then!

If you measure a 12AX7 valve and a 6SL7 valve, measurements are fairly similar; but listen, and they are chalk and cheese.

Sometimes measurements are totally contrary to the audible results. Take SET amps. My amp in the speaker system is a SET of 3.5 watts; compared to any cheap competent SS amp, power is very low, distortion at a reasonable power is high, bandwidth is limited at top and bottom, noise is poor, and output impedance is high. Truly an absolutely awful measuring amp in every way. I've had Naim amps and a PP pentode amp ... this SET murders them, And it's fast, dynamic, with fine transients and leading edges; rhythmic and musical. Above all it puts a singer in the room with me. Measurements do not give a clue to its performance.

I do always measure my gear. I found measurements very useful indeed when fine tuning the crossover of a pair of DIY speakers, as it did seem to agree with what I heard, and the result was fine.

As I see it, there seems no way of measuring beauty within music.

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #6,188 of 10,018
No probs, I discovered his channel a few months ago and have been enjoying it since.
Hes right about most things he said about the Gjallahorns.
I had the JM Gjallahorn and loved it, but the headband is so microphonic and that's not acceptable for a high end hp like that.
How big of an issue is this with the leather headband cover from Rognir? Is it less microphonic, or not significantly less?

Oct 20, 2021 at 9:45 AM Post #6,189 of 10,018
How big of an issue is this with the leather headband cover from Rognir? Is it less microphonic, or not significantly less?
It's significantly less. The microphone effect disappears almost completely. But if you would drum on the headband with your fingers, alas no metal headband in the world can save your ears from that spring-like sound.

Oct 20, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #6,190 of 10,018
The Flux Lab Acoustics FA-22 / Gjallarhorn JM Edition is an astounding duet. Layered, reverberant sound, immense dynamic range, textured deep bass, airy sculpted midrange, ethereal treble…(the FA-22 dethroned my longtime solid-state favourite, the Violectric V280 - itself a wizard with the GH/JM…)
Good to hear I have an FA22 at home have been using it with my Grado Hemp and LSA HP Diamond. As I stated earlier in a post been using the JME Gjallarhorn with my Questyle while I am in Delaware. John M. did a phenomenal job modding to series 1. One thing while the headband is microphonic it doesn’t bother me I do not notice it impacting the sound and I do not tap myself in the head while listening…

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #6,191 of 10,018
As someone who has built many, many valve hifi components, and measured them, I have a general comment on measurements in hifi.

When measurements correlate well with observed features of the sound, they are useful; but IMO *only* then!

If you measure a 12AX7 valve and a 6SL7 valve, measurements are fairly similar; but listen, and they are chalk and cheese.

Sometimes measurements are totally contrary to the audible results. Take SET amps. My amp in the speaker system is a SET of 3.5 watts; compared to any cheap competent SS amp, power is very low, distortion at a reasonable power is high, bandwidth is limited at top and bottom, noise is poor, and output impedance is high. Truly an absolutely awful measuring amp in every way. I've had Naim amps and a PP pentode amp ... this SET murders them, And it's fast, dynamic, with fine transients and leading edges; rhythmic and musical. Above all it puts a singer in the room with me. Measurements do not give a clue to its performance.

I do always measure my gear. I found measurements very useful indeed when fine tuning the crossover of a pair of DIY speakers, as it did seem to agree with what I heard, and the result was fine.

As I see it, there seems no way of measuring beauty within music.
The heart measures the beauty within music….without dials or meters….

Oct 20, 2021 at 10:38 AM Post #6,192 of 10,018
Good to hear I have an FA22 at home have been using it with my Grado Hemp and LSA HP Diamond. As I stated earlier in a post been using the JME Gjallarhorn with my Questyle while I am in Delaware. John M. did a phenomenal job modding to series 1. One thing while the headband is microphonic it doesn’t bother me I do not notice it impacting the sound and I do not tap myself in the head while listening…
This is GH/JM chez moi. To address microphonics in the headband, I covered the “cantilever” with a headband cover then attached a Dekoni nugget to the top of the inner headband. When I wear the GH/JM, the cantilever and inner headband approach each other and the Dekoni nugget provides additional damping. Result: microphony begone! (The photograph was taken before the arrival of FA-22. Valhalla II is still in the h/p/a rotation.)
5C736E22-1A5B-44F4-BB03-C472DD0888BD.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #6,193 of 10,018
This is GH/JM chez moi. To address microphonics in the headband, I covered the “cantilever” with a headband cover then attached a Dekoni nugget to the top of the inner headband. When I wear the GH/JM, the cantilever and inner headband approach each other and the Dekoni nugget provides additional damping. Result: microphony begone! (The photograph was taken before the arrival of FA-22. Valhalla II is still in the h/p/a rotation.)5C736E22-1A5B-44F4-BB03-C472DD0888BD.jpeg
Very nice!! Which headband did you use? How did you stick the nugget?

Oct 20, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #6,194 of 10,018
Here is an update (FA-22 is my favourite SS h/p/a and favourite partner to Gjallarhorn JM Edition):
46AE8C9D-319E-443D-AF2E-D21F40B1FBDF.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2021 at 6:11 PM Post #6,195 of 10,018
To @frost15: The headband cover is shown below. The Dekoni nugget has adhesive. You just need to peel off a tab then attach the nugget.
51B2F098-A9B3-4180-ABF4-480C0A0BEC67.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back