Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Sep 5, 2021 at 3:35 PM Post #5,941 of 10,023
For those whos curious and wants a more fun Rognir Version 1 tuning: as you can see its less neutral/technical but definitely a more musical experience.
Graph provided by Kennerton at my request for custom tuning unit
L/R channel matching

Rognir Version 1.jpg
That looks like a nice graph for sure compared to the other imho - anyone else thoughts?

Sep 6, 2021 at 4:25 AM Post #5,942 of 10,023
Hmm, it's unusual to see such a dip around 5 kHz when the familiar HD 800 S has a pretty significant rise around 6 kHz. I guess everything on the Rognir sounds with a quite different tone, including violins and pianos (not so metallic, etc.).

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2021 at 10:45 AM Post #5,943 of 10,023
I personally do not like the 800s tuning at all never did not even the 8xx new tuning and always found the stage and image a bit artificial sounding

Sep 6, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #5,944 of 10,023
I personally do not like the 800s tuning at all never did not even the 8xx new tuning and always found the stage and image a bit artificial sounding
I must be one of the outliers on Head-Fi... but I've never really enjoyed a single Sennheiser headphone.

The HD650 is probably the epitome of the classic Sennheiser sound, IMO. Anything beyond that - the HD 700 and the various HD 800 models - they aren't quite my cups of tea.

Sep 6, 2021 at 6:45 PM Post #5,945 of 10,023
I always loved and still cherish the hd600 paired with an otl amp like the bottlehead crack w/sb - a headphone amp combo that truly defines what’s possible for cheap money and good design - but once I heard the Magni and the GH50 - I sold my bottlehead amp but kept the hd600 as a reminder of how things do get better sometimes when you move up- I will return to tubes one day... but for now I waited more than 6 months to move forward on the Rognir- delivery this week hopefully- excited is an understatement
thumebnail.jpg

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #5,949 of 10,023
It was sent from LTA on Monday, so should be receiving it within the next few days.
I hope that you've prepared a great answer for the inevitable question that your wife will ask when it finally arrives. :sweat_smile:

Sep 8, 2021 at 2:47 PM Post #5,950 of 10,023
I hope that you've prepared a great answer for the inevitable question that your wife will ask when it finally arrives. :sweat_smile:
Good point. Actually, in an effort to be totally transparent - and because I've way over-spent recently - I told her in advance that I have one *final* bit of gear coming. It's a new approach, decidedly more dangerous than my previous strategy of simply hiding new gear under my desk and it could backfire in the most spectacular way. But what's life without an element of risk?!

Sep 8, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #5,951 of 10,023
Good point. Actually, in an effort to be totally transparent - and because I've way over-spent recently - I told her in advance that I have one *final* bit of gear coming. It's a new approach, decidedly more dangerous than my previous strategy of simply hiding new gear under my desk and it could backfire in the most spectacular way. But what's life without an element of risk?!
That's a safe strategy, my friend. Pre-approved purchases are the safest bets of them all. :wink:

I'm looking forward to your impressions of the MZ3 with the Rögnir. Hopefully, a tube amp will add a touch of body and heft to its signature. That's what I'm looking for. :)

Sep 8, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #5,952 of 10,023
That's a safe strategy, my friend. Pre-approved purchases are the safest bets of them all. :wink:

I'm looking forward to your impressions of the MZ3 with the Rögnir. Hopefully, a tube amp will add a touch of body and heft to its signature. That's what I'm looking for. :)
Will gladly keep you posted. The Rögnir sounds excellent with both the Cayin C9 and the MZ2, so I have high expectations for the MZ3. You're right that the tube element adds a little weight to the lower mids, which is welcome. The only critical question now is how the Stealth will compete (though I can't see myself trading in my Rögnir's for them no matter what).

Keep me posted on your "friend's" Rögnir decision, too!

Sep 8, 2021 at 4:29 PM Post #5,954 of 10,023
Anybody know what happened to the US tour Kennerton Rognir thread? It went poof…

Users who are viewing this thread

Back