Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jul 2, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #5,401 of 10,033
Again tried the Rögnir pads on Thekk. Results are very favorable. Gains some more mid-bass with good amount of texture. I think slightly better subbass, too. Slightly more treble energy. The effect of mid-forwardness is reduced. I think low-mids are reduced, maybe the low-mids dip on Rögnir is due to the pads. Though it is not as comfortable on Thekk as Rögnir.

I am wondering if the Thekk pads can give Rögnir some mids body without shaving off the treble and the bass. Probably will try tomorrow.

EDIT: Punch is a bit too much.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 6:56 PM Post #5,402 of 10,033
Quite a lot of metalheads here in the Kennerton realm :) Love it.
oh and grats @Tano they look absolutely amazing! I'm keen on seeing the comparison between the HP-1 and those Wodans. Are they the 2021 version or an older rendition?
Thanks bro. I've been playin with them a bit today, but it's too early to make some judgments, will share my thoughts soon.

These are from december 2020 so they should be the older model.

Jul 2, 2021 at 8:59 PM Post #5,403 of 10,033
Again tried the Rögnir pads on Thekk.
Are these the solid pads or the ones w/ small perforations?

I think low-mids are reduced, maybe the low-mids dip on Rögnir is due to the pads.
Hmm I remember Andrew of Headphones.com saying that this is a trend of most closed back headphones to have that lower mid contour while the open back are generally flat, no sure if this is intentional or not...maybe the reason could also be to compensate for the acoustic resonance of the closed back design..no clear answer there

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 2:59 AM Post #5,405 of 10,033
They are very soft compared to Thekk (ECL 01) pads and not so deep.
Yea the extremely soft pads combined w/ it being more shallow is the problem...that combo turn it into giant on-ear headphones.

I tried the ECL 01 pads on Rögnir and it completely messed the midrange.
ECL 01/02 pads wouldn't work since closed back needs that seal....i think Kennerton designed a small 4/5 holes perforations special pads just for the Rognir...anymore "open" than that and it'll destroy the tuning

Jul 3, 2021 at 4:31 AM Post #5,406 of 10,033
Yea the extremely soft pads combined w/ it being more shallow is the problem...that combo turn it into giant on-ear headphones.
But I believe the break in helped with the tuning of Thekk. Treble sounds smoother but at the same time extended and airy. I really like how cymbals sound on Thekk. I used to drop 4 dB from the midrange, now I don't need to go beyond 3 dB for full and forward sounding recordings. My wife thinks it does not need any EQ. She is a musician and spends a lot of time in front of ProTools so, I _respectfully_ disagree with her opinion. :) She prefers Solitaire P-SE over all others, which I find somewhat darker in the mids.

Mid bass sounds really nice, fast . It says 'I am here' but quite neutral. It is there when it needs to be. For example, for something like this where the midbass really holds the backbone of the piece, it does the job greatly:

Jul 3, 2021 at 5:10 AM Post #5,407 of 10,033
This headphone reminds me a lot of the Thekk with a tiny bit more sub bass. A thicker sound then the Wodan with the same level of detail.
I would equate the Thekk as more of the sound you hear at a nightclub: more v-shaped that gets you excited and jamming but after a couple hours, fatigue sets in.
I am really surprised reading these Thekk and vs Rögnir opinions. For me Rögnir mids are much much lighter than Thekk (which should be similar to Wodan). For me Rögnir is the nightclub HP. I always increase the thickness of mids while listening through Rögnir and reduce while listening through Thekk.

It is, of course, very much possible that we are hearing things differently, our ears have quite different frequency responses and what we are focusing on while adjusting the volume is different, which in effect changes the volume of the remaining frequency band.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 5:16 AM Post #5,408 of 10,033
Opeth via the Rognir?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210703-120913_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    Screenshot_20210703-120913_USB Audio Player PRO.jpg
    883.7 KB · Views: 0
Jul 3, 2021 at 5:43 AM Post #5,409 of 10,033
Opeth via the Rognir?
Original Deliverance mix sounds great. I wasn't too thrilled about the new remix, in general. Listening to Morningrise is a joy (my favorite Opeth album - Nectar was the first Opeth piece I heard).

Jul 3, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #5,410 of 10,033
Hi guys, first of all, Id like to apologise because Im not good at comparisons and english is not my 1st language.

So I've spent like 4 hours last night and 3 today making some comparisons between the Wodans and the LSA HP-1 and man, that's a tough one because they are clearly siblings.

These are pretty much the same headphones in terms of build and comfort, same weight as well, Wodan is 480grs and LSA HP1 is 485 grs.
Surprisingly, I find the Wodan sturdier, that might be because of the full wood cups. Comfort is almost the same but I feel that the HP1s got slightly a bit more of clamping force, but both have a very relaxed fit.

Long story short, The Wodan improves the LSA HP1 in pretty much every technical aspect, resolution, detail, speed etc... Keep in mind these are subtle differences, nothing major.

Soundstage has similar width, but it feels deeper in the Wodan. Wodan got an airier sound with better instrument separation, while the HP 1 blends things a bit more and It could get a bit muddy with some fast stuff like death or black metal. It doesn't sound bad by any means, but it feels muddier when you compare it to the Wodan.

Wodan is more neutral, while the HP1, even with the ECL 01 (stock pads) feels warmer, bassier and thicker overall.
So far I think I prefer the Wodans with the stock pads. I switched to the ECL02 pads and they get a tad warmer and adds a few db of bass, but they didn't change the sound (for the better) as much as they do with the HP1.

IMG_20210702_185335.jpg

So Wodans got better bass quality, it's tighter and detailed. But it has a bit less quantity than the HP1.
Both are even in terms of dynamics althought the HP1 might give the impression of being more dynamic mostly because of bass presence, specially midbass which adds some extra punch.

Mids are the stronger point of those 2 hps. They are very sweet and forward and they bring the best out of voices, specially female ones. Mids are thicker and sound closer in the HP1.

Highs are the most different aspect between these hps. The Wodan is brighter and got more treble extension that the HP1, which feels darker and laid back in comparison. For me, Wodan got perfect highs with no sibilance or harshness.

Needles to say that both the HP1 and the Wodan are really efficient and easy to drive.
EDIT: On my first impressions, I said that the Wodan needed more volume to sound full compared to the HP1, but this was because of the Hp1 being slightly easier to drive. After matching volume properly with an db meter, I can say that these 2 sound great and don't sacrifice dynamics even at low volume levels.

I said before that It was a tough one because both are really good headphones with the same approach, musicality without sacrificing the technical abilities. It pretty much depends of your tastes(and budget). If you lean towards a more neutral and analytic sound, Wodan is your bet; If you prefer a warmer and relaxed sound with more bass emphasis, get the HP-1 with the ECL 02 pads.

EDIT: After spending more time with them, I actually think that Im leaning toward the sound of the Wodan, but the LSA HP-1 is amazing and a better value for the money.

PD: Feel free to pm if you have any question regarding these 2.

Last edited:
Jul 3, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #5,412 of 10,033
Team Kennerton is strong in this topic ofc :D
I was always amazed by the æon 2 noire and it's near open-back airiness that Magni could not provide. The thing with these 2 headphones and their comfort comes down to this:
- if æon 2 is comfortable for you it wins
- in all other cases Magni.

Sounds like a no-brainer but with the Magni you can "tweak" the headband by bending it into shape. The headband of the æon 2 is using memory metal, e.g. it keeps it shape, which will result in either a perfect fit or a unlucky mismatch that you cannot easily fix yourself.
I keep going back in forth between the two which is really frustrating. Compared to the Clears do the Magni cover your ears? I hate when my ears touch or have to tuck them in?

Jul 3, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #5,413 of 10,033
I keep going back in forth between the two which is really frustrating. Compared to the Clears do the Magni cover your ears? I hate when my ears touch or have to tuck them in?
I never had an issue with the Magni pads. The only headphone that gave me the need for "lobe tucking" was/is the Beyerdynamic T5(p) with it's stock pads.

Jul 3, 2021 at 1:42 PM Post #5,414 of 10,033
This must really be one of the most confusing (confused?) threads on HeadFi. Everyone seems to hear things in complete different directions. I differ even with Kennerton. Thekk is thick, but not dark. But also not Nightclub like. But my wife finds them too clean sounding, too shiny, but also neutral. Mids are not at all neutral but forward (it got better after running them a few days). Rögnir mids are not at all thick due to the 200 Hz recession.

For me most amazing thing about Thekk that does not change is the transient speed. It is really something. superb dynamics. Looks like my P-SE is going back to my wife's desk.

https://boizoff.com/?p=738&lang=en
1625332677914.png

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 12:19 PM Post #5,415 of 10,033
Has anyone in the UK bought a set of the Rögnir from a UK Dealer or have you ordered directly from the EU, or maybe directly from Kennerton? I just wondered what everyone is paying after taxes etc, I've been quoted £3000 delivered from a UK Dealer, (3,495 Euro!) I thought that was expensive but then the UK have just left the EU and have to pay the Import charges, etc. Any advice on a reputable source to purchase would be appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back