Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jun 28, 2021 at 8:16 PM Post #5,371 of 10,069
True to their mantra "Headphones as fine art" their product looks as good as it sounds. Finally you can have your cake and eat it listen to it too…🤪

Jun 29, 2021 at 2:36 AM Post #5,372 of 10,069
Hello Kennerton Family,

since yesterday i own a LSA HP-2 Ultra in Zebrano Wood and i am really, really impressed of this headphone. It is so so so detailed and "in your face" sound that i am completely overwhelmed :ksc75smile:

11523943.jpg

For me as an old ZMF lover this is nearly just too much detail :sweat_smile:

I am now considering of selling the HP-2 Ultras and getting a nother Kennerton or LSA headphone. But i don't know where to start and what the sound difference between the models are.

Is there maybe a quick overview of the sound signatures?

Thanks for your help!
Dominik

Jun 29, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #5,373 of 10,069
I left the Thekk for overnight run and checked again. I won't go into the bass immediately but will do a more general _subjective_ analysis.

Firstly, Rögnir and Thekk are _very_different sounding HPs. But this is not a bass issue, it is the mids. They are simply forward on Thekk. Also the -6 dB drop in the 1 to 2.5 kHz region (which pretty much stays with Thekk). Or reading it differently, the pushed forward 50 Hz - 1 kHz region. For my taste (I like slight U or slight V tonalities with slight recessed mids) this gives a strange tonality, at least to my ears. This is more a vocal listening HP.

As you see below, Rögnir has a very different tuning. Especially notice the lower mids around 200 Hz (which gives mids clarity, but at the same time loses some mids body and the bass sounds slightly disconnected, which is the only _slight_ quirk in Rögnir's tonality), and the huge gap around the 1.5 kHz region. They are pretty much reversed between the two by about 6 dB, which makes a huge difference in tonality.

1624960104374.png

Instead of patching different parts of the frequency band, this is how I fixed it looks like this:

1624960038244.png

which is a bell at 280 Hz, Q (bandwidth) 0.63, gain -4 dB, slope 24 dB/oct (you may not have this parameter with every PEQ). Because we don't touch the treble, it might be a little too much for treble sensitive people, because you need to increase the volume to achieve similar mids level. But this will give you a much better bass and mids balance, with some nice mid-bass bump. If you want a Rögnir similar tonaliy, add another bell around 200 Hz , but I wouldn't recommend a too low gain there, but something like this:

1624962925917.png

which is a bell at 200 Hz, Q (bandwidth) 1.9, gain -3 dB, slope 24 dB/oct.

Coming back to yesterday, why did I hear such a huge bass? Three things: 1) I possibly focused on upper mids / lower treble while adjusting the volume, which is kind of recessed. 2) TheHP has the capacity to go down quite well in the subbass region, and it does. It has a very clean and fast bass, and combined with forward upper bass / lower mids, I was kind of overwhelmed. 3) The break in process might (!) have helped with the tonality of a barely used 8 monts old HP.

I will keep both Thekk and Rögnir running for a while more.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #5,374 of 10,069
Listening to (long time disbanded) L'ham de Foc's Pandero with PEQ'ed Thekk. I think it would be a sin to call the bass "lacking". :)

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 10:00 AM Post #5,377 of 10,069
Hello,
I currently have a LSA HP1 and a focal clear pro.
i prefer the lsa hp1 to my liking and i enjoy it much much much..
But as always :) i want a new one ! :D

i like hifiman because of the soundstage and detail, and the slam of the LCD line, but i dont find something who have a lot of bass/slam and huge soundstage / detail.

Jun 30, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #5,378 of 10,069
Hello,

i like hifiman because of the soundstage and detail, and the slam of the LCD line, but i dont find something who have a lot of bass/slam and huge soundstage / detail.
EQ that HP-1 and never look back :)

Jun 30, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #5,379 of 10,069
Hello,

With my amp at least, the HE1000SE has more bass/slam than the Verite Open, Rognir and Thekk.

Jun 30, 2021 at 10:17 AM Post #5,380 of 10,069
EQ that HP-1 and never look back :)
Thank you, do you have any good EQ? i will try with pleasure.
In the past i used oratory preset, but i didn't found any for the lsa hp1.
With my amp at least, the HE1000SE has more bass/slam than the Verite Open, Rognir and Thekk.
Yes the HE1000SE and Arya are in my short list :)
My amp is a Burson conductor reference 3, i dont know if it's a good one for the slam, but i like it so far.

Jun 30, 2021 at 10:42 AM Post #5,383 of 10,069
Best headphone is an EQ'ed headphone. :) There is not a single HP I know (HEKse, Thekk, Rögnir, Utopia, Solitaire P, P-SE, D8000 Pro...) that wouldn't benefit from EQ, and an EQ wouldn't open up more of its capabilities. EQ also helps with finding your favorite signature(s) without spending thousands on new HPs.

Jun 30, 2021 at 12:47 PM Post #5,385 of 10,069
Best headphone is an EQ'ed headphone. :) There is not a single HP I know (HEKse, Thekk, Rögnir, Utopia, Solitaire P, P-SE, D8000 Pro...) that wouldn't benefit from EQ, and an EQ wouldn't open up more of its capabilities. EQ also helps with finding your favorite signature(s) without spending thousands on new HPs.
LOL I am on the opposite side of this. I never and will never use EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back