Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Jun 20, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #5,282 of 10,023
Will compare it with Diana V2, D8000 Pro
Rögnir reminds me of D8000 Pro with its tuning. I don't have it with me anymore, so I cannot compare. I think it has a slightly recessed lower mids (like 1 to 1.5), which makes the mids sound very clear but not thick. I usually have a -2dB bell for the lower mids using a PEQ with Solitare P, so I do love Rögnir's tuning.

I am already wondering how Thror sounds...

LSA HP-Diamond.
Are these renamed Thror or Thekk?

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #5,283 of 10,023
Rögnir reminds me of D8000 Pro with its tuning. I don't have it with me anymore, so I cannot compare. I think it has a slightly recessed lower mids (like 1.5-2 dB), which makes the mids sound very clear but not thick. I usually have a -2dB bell for the lower mids using a PEQ with Solitare P, so I do love Rögnir's tuning.

I am already wondering how Thror sounds...

Are these renamed Thror or Thekk?
More like renamed Wodans

Jun 20, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #5,284 of 10,023
More like renamed Wodans
Looks like Rögnir, Thekk and Thror all have the same driver specifications but Wodan is different. As I understand they all have dual sided magnets. But I wonder what the difference in sound is. Or, I wonder how those Rögnir drivers would sound in an open back configuration.

I compared them with my Solitaire P, what missed about Solitaire P in Rögnir was the instrument separation and the space feeling. Of course, the drivers are bigger and it is a fully open design. But what I loved about the Rögnir is the tuning, design and comfort. Perfect for long listening sessions. And they are very transparent, somehow dissolving between your ears and the amplifier.

I think I am also going to sell my HEKse after D9200, and thinking of replacing it with one of the TOTL Kennertons. Any recommendations among those 3: Wodan, Thekk and Thror?

Jun 20, 2021 at 8:52 AM Post #5,285 of 10,023
headphone.guru shared their impressions with the LSA HP-Diamond: https://headphone.guru/lsa-diamond-headphone-review-revelation-in-detail-musicality/
Most interesting passage is the last one imo:
As a final note I would like to add that LSA will be offering the headphone with a new special Ear Cup that by design allows for a slightly boosted bass via “different pressurization”. They tell me that half of the production will have the original Ear Cup (ECL-01) and the other half will have the ECL-02.
I have both pads and really enjoy the 01's with the Diamond, though I preferred the 02's with the HP-1

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2021 at 12:39 PM Post #5,287 of 10,023
Jun 20, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #5,288 of 10,023
Jun 20, 2021 at 6:22 PM Post #5,289 of 10,023
"This headphone is not fatiguing at all; while nothing stands out all of it sounds the best I ever heard. The comfort is something new. No clamp or pressure it just fits. If you miss it once you go to the office again please blame the dog."
a quote by my better half when she picked up the LSA HP-Diamond. I applied some eq cause I know she loves it when the sound as a slight bass emphasis; the HP-Diamond if anything is light.
Thinking in your post, a few minutes ago, I give my Z7s to my wife when she went by my side... She laughed (I don't know if it was because of the music, I was listening to "Ulf Wakenius - Vagabond") and I asked her what she thinks about and she just said "ok, good sound"... :rolling_eyes:

Jun 21, 2021 at 3:49 AM Post #5,290 of 10,023
Mention of the Rognir as a closed back D8000 got me perked up.

Has there been a comprehensive or even brief Rognir vs. ZMF VC comparison?

Failing that, can someone kindly provide a brief overview of the sound signature of the Rognir?

Jun 21, 2021 at 4:33 AM Post #5,291 of 10,023
Mention of the Rognir as a closed back D8000 got me perked up.

Has there been a comprehensive or even brief Rognir vs. ZMF VC comparison?

Failing that, can someone kindly provide a brief overview of the sound signature of the Rognir?
I don't have the D8000 Pro anymore, so I cannot comment very sure, but it reminds me the D8000 Pro a lot. I think D8KP had more treble extension and slightly less bass body. I haven't tested it myself but I guess that is what the original D8000 was: Fuller bass and warmer treble. Midrange is very similar, I think, but it could be that the lower mids of Rögnir is ever so slightly leaner - like 0.5 to 1.0 dB. Again this is from memory. Upper mids and lower treble is also very similar, but there was a slight wonkiness with _some_ recordings on D8KP. I think Rögnir is better, smoother there.

Technically (again from memory) D8K might be slightly better with detail or transients (maybe just it is the closed back feeling, but depth is better with D8K, especially with these accentuated treble extension), but Rögnir is just an excellent (and the best closed) HP. If I had to choose between the two, would take Rögnir over D8K, as it is miles better in comfort.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2021 at 4:52 AM Post #5,292 of 10,023
I don't have the D8000 Pro anymore, so I cannot comment very sure, but it reminds me the D8000 Pro a lot. I think D8KP had more treble extension and slightly less bass body. I haven't tested it myself but I guess that is what the original D8000 was: Fuller bass and warmer treble. Midrange is very similar, I think, but it could be that the lower mids of Rögnir is ever so slightly leaner - like 0.5 to 1.0 dB. Again this is from memory. Upper mids and lower treble is also very similar, but there was a slight wonkiness with _some_ recordings on D8KP. I think Rögnir is better, smoother there.

Technically (again from memory) D8K might be slightly better with detail or transients (maybe just it is the closed back feeling, but depth is better with D8K, especially with these accentuated treble extension), but Rögnir is just an excellent (and the best closed) HP. If I had to choose between the two, would take Rögnir over D8K, as it is miles better in comfort.
Thank you, very helpful.

Rögnir is smoother but not rolled off in the way planar headphones can be sometimes?

Hope to demo soon; buying blind - or deaf - wouldn't be impossible, but would be risk given the price.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:13 AM Post #5,293 of 10,023
Thank you, very helpful.

Rögnir is smoother but not rolled off in the way planar headphones can be sometimes?

Hope to demo soon; buying blind - or deaf - wouldn't be impossible, but would be risk given the price.
No roll off there, superb clarity and treble. As said, for some it _might_ sound like they sacrificed a little from mids body to gain more clarity by slightly lowering the bass-mids transition area, it is more of a pairing or taste thing. It is a transparent HP, so a fuller amplifier would easily fill in that region.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:28 AM Post #5,294 of 10,023
No roll off there, superb clarity and treble. As said, for some it _might_ sound like they sacrificed a little from mids body to gain more clarity by slightly lowering the bass-mids transition area, it is more of a pairing or taste thing. It is a transparent HP, so a fuller amplifier would easily fill in that region.
Thanks, interesting. I tend to prefer a Japanese style of tuning - tight but well extended bass, linear mids, slightly accented upper mids and airy/sparkly treble. I would say, if anything, the lower mids on the ZMF VC are at my threshold (I tend to lower them by about -2db). I can't stand or listen to mid-forward headphones.

If the Rögnir has flattish mids, that would suit me.

Jun 21, 2021 at 5:45 AM Post #5,295 of 10,023
I tend to prefer a Japanese style of tuning
Same here - which is why I liked D9200 so much and preferred it over Stellia and alike. It took me about 30 seconds to decide that I want to buy the Rögnir. I also EQ the Solitaire P especially in the lower mids region, and add some air.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back