Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
May 7, 2021 at 6:02 PM Post #4,921 of 10,023
Meanwhile I cannot decide whether to keep brown or red key switches... )
I've tried all cherry switches and at the end, I decided to try "Topre electrostatic capacitive keyboards" and since then I have not ever look to another cherry or membrane keyboard. I have 2 of them: one full size -105 keys- black -with gold characters- with finnish layout (very similar to spanish) with variable resistance, and one tenkeyless white/gray -black characters- ANSI with a resistance of 55 G in all the keys.

I love both, the same happens to me with my current headphones (but they are four instead of two) :L3000::rolling_eyes:

May 8, 2021 at 1:25 AM Post #4,923 of 10,023
It’s one of the best cables I have. Like it very very very much. Not just for the sound, but also the build quality and materials.
What cable is that mate?

May 8, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #4,924 of 10,023
What cable is that mate?

Kennerton's very own CLC-04 cable.
I got it with my Wodan (on Valentin's recommendation and insistent).

I think it's one of the two included cables with Rognir, because one of the cable looks and built exactly the same as the CLC-04. I don't have confirmation that they are actually the same though (and I haven't tried the one that included with Rognir yet).

Rognir should come with 2 cables, by the way, this is stated on the website.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #4,927 of 10,023
Hi all. A little bit of off-topic from the Rögnir praising.
Here are my recent (subjective) impressions of the Thekk vs Wodan (and also vs HD 800S) comparison at a local store. Both Kennerton headphones had stock ECL-01 earpads.

In terms of wearing comfort, the headphones are almost identical (very good) except that the new Wodan I've listened seemed 40-50 grams heavier than the Thekk,
so let's move directly to the sound.

Wodan has more "entertaining" sound: more present high frequencies (up to 7-8 kHz) and more prominent lower-bass.
I think, Wodan probably has more chances to be liked based on the first impression if the listener is used to slightly U-shaped frequency response.
Thekk features more enveloping, warm, but also, at times, "sparkling" sound (quite present frequencies above 10 kHz).
Wodan engages the listener more strongly, while Thekk rather allows you to contemplate the music from the side, while giving a sense of a more "complex" sound.
If, for the Thekk, apply some EQ and raise frequencies around 30-40 Hz and 4-8 kHz, one can make it more engaging too so it's not exclusive to Wodan.

The piano of Wodan is more sonorous and dedicated, it has more "bells",
and if there is also an orchestra in the composition, the piano is easier to follow because the piano part is well underlined.
Thekk has a more "fleshy" piano, the sound seems richer in overtones,
but there's less ringing, more humming, in a good way - it's easier to imagine the sound of a wooden deck,
than with Wodan, where the focus shifts to the hammering of the metal strings.
When playing the digital piano, Thekk allows to make the sound less electronic and adds more of a "woody" natural feel to it.

The vocals were pleasant to me with both headphones, only they sounded a bit farther away from the listener with Thekk.

Brushes and cymbals and other "sibilant" instruments are, oddly enough, more pronounced with Thekk than with Wodan
(although, if Thekk has apparently a 10+ kHz boost, it's understandable), so from rather comfortable Thekk' sound picture
there can sometimes stand out some "ts-s-s" sounds, but you can't call them harsh unless you overdo it in your composition.

In terms of the ability to sound "off the head" both pairs of headphones seemed to be comparable, as well as in terms of the soundstage (especially in depth).
Even though they write that Thekk has a bigger scene, I did not get this impression while listening to them during 2 hours.
But, of course, any closed headphones are quite far away from both of these models from Kennerton in terms of the "width and scale" of the sound.
Among the open ones the confident leader in the comparison is the Sennheiser HD 800S, which I also compared to the Thekk head-to-head,
and which has an even greater soundstage, better imaging, but the sound is less full-bodied, more "thin" and unobtrusive,
because most of the songs are perceived hovering somewhere in the distance, rather than coming mostly into your ears.

I hope these adds something to the whole picture of what these two somewhat similar flagship headphones are all about.
Hi, There.

It was great reading the comparison. But can you tell me which amp you were using and the source?
I bought Thekk for my dad last Christmas(a great excuse to listen to a different cans) and I loved it, how neutral the sound was.
It was very joyful with Hugo 2 and Woo Audio WA22 with sources streamed from Tidal through my Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2(USB C).

May 10, 2021 at 1:18 AM Post #4,928 of 10,023
By the way, this is how the new headband looks when wearing the headphone. (And this is me working on my new book).
8658023B-0FF8-4A93-B5F9-3F2E87F87732.jpeg

The picture looks great. How do they sound? I ordered mine in Bog Oak. Cannot wait to received them.
Do they sound like they say it is, like high end open ends?

May 10, 2021 at 6:12 AM Post #4,929 of 10,023
As of today I got this beauty:
IMG_20210510_120603.jpg
IMG_20210510_120613.jpg
Won't comment on sound quality just yet but I can comment that the pads are so much softer then the OG kennerton pads
IMG_20210510_120646.jpg

May 10, 2021 at 11:11 AM Post #4,930 of 10,023
Hi, There.

It was great reading the comparison. But can you tell me which amp you were using and the source?
I bought Thekk for my dad last Christmas(a great excuse to listen to a different cans) and I loved it, how neutral the sound was.
It was very joyful with Hugo 2 and Woo Audio WA22 with sources streamed from Tidal through my Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 2(USB C).
Hi. Headphones were connected to the SMSL DP5:
source.JPG

But Thekk didn't seem neutral to me but with slightly colored mids and recessed higher-half part of the treble.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 12:09 PM Post #4,931 of 10,023
Hi. Headphones were connected to the SMSL DP5:

But Thekk didn't seem neutral to me but with slightly colored mids and recessed higher-half part of the treble.
if you read my review on the Thekk or the Wodan they need a ton of break in time- I felt same way when I plugged them in and it was only after I stop listening and just did break in for a week did the planar material open up - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/2020-kennerton-thekk-version-w-or-1-2.24687/reviews
I can also say I absolutely loathed the ribbon GL1200 by Goldplanar until at least 40 hours of conintious break in. Same thing with my Magnepan 3.6r (ribbon tweeter + planar mid/bass) speakers and had same experience with my friend who owns the $400,000+ Perfect Eight The Force speakers same deal. It's a shame they werent well broken in longer when you auditioned...

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 12:17 PM Post #4,932 of 10,023
if you read my review on the Thekk or the Wodan they need a ton of break in time- I felt same way when I plugged them in and it was only after I stop listening and just did break in for a week did they planar material to open up - https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/2020-kennerton-thekk-version-w-or-1-2.24687/reviews
I can also say I absolutley loathed the GL1200 by Goldplanar until at least 40 hours of conintious break in. Same thing with my Magnepan ribbon + planar speakers and my friend who owns the $400,000+ Perfect Eight The Force speakers same deal. It's a shame they werent well broken in-
What’s your opinion on GL1200?
Thank you.

May 10, 2021 at 12:30 PM Post #4,933 of 10,023
in a short comment - like nothing else I ever heard in a headphone. Its a crazy purchase that makes you question your sanity. The requirements of long break in, the amplifier needed to drive them the fact that they do not work with all types of music but when they do work they sound addictive and captivating because of their insane ability to re-create 3d space like nothing else short from my Magnepans. The GL1200 have a place in my collection because they are so over the top nuts, and lately I have been getting a lot of use of of them simply because I want to hear all my music all over again. They are huge, ugly (doofy really) while wearing them and they leak sound like small mini monitors but they have their rewards that make crazy worth while. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/gold-planar-gl1200.25000/

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 5:45 PM Post #4,934 of 10,023
in a short comment - like nothing else I ever heard in a headphone. Its a crazy purchase that makes you question your sanity. The requirements of long break in, the amplifier needed to drive them the fact that they do not work with all types of music but when they do work they sound addictive and captivating because of their insane ability to re-create 3d space like nothing else short from my Magnepans. The GL1200 have a place in my collection because they are so over the top nuts, and lately I have been getting a lot of use of of them simply because I want to hear all my music all over again. They are huge, ugly (doofy really) while wearing them and they leak sound like small mini monitors but they have their rewards that make crazy worth while. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/gold-planar-gl1200.25000/
Care to share what headphones you heard as reference. It would frame the context of your hyperbole.

May 10, 2021 at 8:02 PM Post #4,935 of 10,023
Care to share what headphones you heard as reference. It would frame the context of your hyperbole.
Most of the nealy all the Sennheiser ( I dislike the 800s but like the HD600 as an example) - most of the Focals (I don't like any really for daily enjoyment maybe the Utopia for mixing), some Fostex, some ZMF, few models of Stax (two I owned) the Sr-Lambda, Omega originals and heard the 007mk1 and 009, I’ve listened and owned and still own most of the Kennerton line except Odin and Thror and M12 (never owned/listen to yet). I used to go to the hifi shows every year, I used to own a website called exoticaudio.org so I needed to audition or just sample almost everything out there- but then I began producing videos and live audio recording and that’s when I got more serious with head gear during mixing and mastering. I never use hyperbole unless I’m drunk and then only when talking to pretty girls.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back