Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Feb 22, 2021 at 1:43 PM Post #4,487 of 10,023
Probably @John Massaria? If I'm not mistaken, he was already performing modifications to his custom "JM" edition unit long before I purchased my Gjallarhorn.
actually I just checked and my gh50 is 006

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:10 PM Post #4,488 of 10,023
Never thought of this, but that sounds good. Maybe with a leather sleeve wrapping around those metal bands would be nice. Might try out that idea with the Magni.

If Kennerton could improve the look and feel of the newer headband, make it more 'vintage/premium' look & feel, while retaining the auto-adjusting mechanism somehow, that would be a home-run, IMHO.
I agree. The current headband (on their lesser models) is functional and comfortable, but not entirely upmarket in appearance. Headphones like the Thekk and the Rögnir deserve a better-looking headband, IMO. :)

Feb 23, 2021 at 3:13 PM Post #4,489 of 10,023
As far as I know, Kennerton are in process of prototyping new headbands. However, I haven't seen them and dunno if any of them will be released in the nearest future. Anyway, one of Rögnir's advantages is its extremely low weight comparing to Audeze and Mr.Speakers flagship solutions and this advantage becomes essential during the usage.

For example, my Wodan V2 is 80 grams lighter than original one and this aspect is almost sacrosanct for me :)
Audezes are heavy, that's true but the Dan Clark audio closed backs are quite light.
I'd like to know how the ether c flow and rognir compare once the rognir is out in the wild
The Ether C Flow 1.1 weighs only 380 grams - that's really light for a full-sized, planar headphone. With a wood cup, the Rögnir should be heavier - that's fine for me, though. If the headphone doesn't exceed 500 grams, I think it will be good for hours of use. :)

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #4,490 of 10,023
Never thought of this, but that sounds good. Maybe with a leather sleeve wrapping around those metal bands would be nice. Might try out that idea with the Magni.

If Kennerton could improve the look and feel of the newer headband, make it more 'vintage/premium' look & feel, while retaining the auto-adjusting mechanism somehow, that would be a home-run, IMHO.

As far as I know, Kennerton are in process of prototyping new headbands. However, I haven't seen them and dunno if any of them will be released in the nearest future. Anyway, one of Rögnir's advantages is its extremely low weight comparing to Audeze and Mr.Speakers flagship solutions and this advantage becomes essential during the usage.

For example, my Wodan V2 is 80 grams lighter than original one and this aspect is almost sacrosanct for me :)

I agree. The current headband (on their lesser models) is functional and comfortable, but not entirely upmarket in appearance. Headphones like the Thekk and the Rögnir deserve a better-looking headband, IMO. :)

Hi all.

Kennerton has always heeded criticism (both positive and negative) of its headphones and has generally remedied it.

For example, the Odin mk1 had many youthful flaws: good sound, but driver reliability was lacking; it was also much too heavy and very uncomfortable to wear; very stiff pads; suspension headband was too long, too thin, not padded and not suitable for small heads and delicate hair leathers.

Correction with the Odin mk2 (much more reliable for the driver), with an improved secondary suspension headband (shorter, wider and thicker (padded)).
New correction with the Odin mk3 Thridi, with an even better driver performance (new "honeycomb" reinforced membrane); new external grid (composite material), 100 g lighter; new pads a little more comfortable (less rigid).

The sound of the Odin had to be more technical, better performing, detailed, fast and airy; the headphones even lighter and more comfortable to wear: this was achieved with the Thror, the first to use a driver with a carbon frame (100 g lighter than the classical steel fram of the Odin), followed by the Thekk (a little warmer, airy and present for the bass than the Thror); then with the Wodan and especially the last Wodan (with the aluminum driver frame, 80 g lighter than the old Wodan and its steel frame).

The Wodan and Thekk also use the new self-adapting headband inaugurated by the Magni, which is flexible, lighter and much more comfortable to wear than the old "rigid" headband equipping the Odin and Thror which is certainly more aesthetic and enhances.

There remains the current criticism of the lack of valorization of the new headband equipping all the new range of Kennerton headphones, and which is a little "cheap" for the current high-end headphones of Kennerton (Thekk and Rögnir).

Well I think Kennerton will listen to this criticism and that future Kennerton high-end headphones will be equipped with a more qualitative and valorization headband than the one equipping all the latest Kennerton headphones; they can be trusted on this subject, because they are never short of ideas and good innovations and remain always open to criticism. :)

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:56 AM Post #4,491 of 10,023
I totally agree with Eric here.

IMHO, Kennerton is among very few manufacturers in the world who's constantly improving their designs and performance, even for the same model without a model change (i.e., no 'official' mk2, mk3, v2, or v3 designation). I have a high hope that the next iteration of head-support would be better, both look and ergonomic.

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:09 AM Post #4,492 of 10,023
I would not mind at all a Thror-type headband with less / no microphonics (or tweaking necessary...) Any additional weight, for me, would not be an issue. The front-to-back depth of the headband could be increased to lower 'psi' on the head. FYI, the headband structure of the ZMF Auteur is one that I really like.

Feb 24, 2021 at 11:10 AM Post #4,493 of 10,023
Left my LSA HP-2 (Kennerton Gjallarhorn) headphones sitting on the shelf at the super market. Store was open for 4 hours. Didn't notice until I went to my carry case to get them. Empty. My heart sank and I had a "left the stove on" moment as I sped back into town. Expected to write them off as a loss, but they were still there sitting in front of everyone at the packed check-outs!

I was cocky and nonchalant treating them as portable headphones. Learned my lesson and dodged a bullet. I was careful for months to put them back in my carry case until I got caught up in my job and had other things on my mind. Used them as portable headphones too much I took them for granted. They are staying home from now on.

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #4,494 of 10,023
I would not mind at all a Thror-type headband with less / no microphonics (or tweaking necessary...) Any additional weight, for me, would not be an issue. The front-to-back depth of the headband could be increased to lower 'psi' on the head. FYI, the headband structure of the ZMF Auteur is one that I really like.
I also really like ZMF headband (I don't have the Auteur, what I have is the very first generation Atticus; but it's the same headband).

Feb 24, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #4,495 of 10,023
Left my LSA HP-2 (Kennerton Gjallarhorn) headphones sitting on the shelf at the super market. Store was open for 4 hours. Didn't notice until I went to my carry case to get them. Empty. My heart sank and I had a "left the stove on" moment as I sped back into town. Expected to write them off as a loss, but they were still there sitting in front of everyone at the packed check-outs!

I was cocky and nonchalant treating them as portable headphones. Learned my lesson and dodged a bullet. I was careful for months to put them back in my carry case until I got caught up in my job and had other things on my mind. Used them as portable headphones too much I took them for granted. They are staying home from now on.

That is a crazy story and I'm glad you were able to get them back.

Feb 26, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #4,496 of 10,023

It's equally baffling and comforting to know that the HP-2 wasn't touched at all throughout that span of time. Did the passing customers think that it was some fake plastic model? :wink:

Anyway, I'm glad that you've gone them back, safe and sound!

Feb 26, 2021 at 6:56 AM Post #4,497 of 10,023
Hi all.

Kennerton has always heeded criticism (both positive and negative) of its headphones and has generally remedied it.

For example, the Odin mk1 had many youthful flaws: good sound, but driver reliability was lacking; it was also much too heavy and very uncomfortable to wear; very stiff pads; suspension headband was too long, too thin, not padded and not suitable for small heads and delicate hair leathers.

Correction with the Odin mk2 (much more reliable for the driver), with an improved secondary suspension headband (shorter, wider and thicker (padded)).
New correction with the Odin mk3 Thridi, with an even better driver performance (new "honeycomb" reinforced membrane); new external grid (composite material), 100 g lighter; new pads a little more comfortable (less rigid).

The sound of the Odin had to be more technical, better performing, detailed, fast and airy; the headphones even lighter and more comfortable to wear: this was achieved with the Thror, the first to use a driver with a carbon frame (100 g lighter than the classical steel fram of the Odin), followed by the Thekk (a little warmer, airy and present for the bass than the Thror); then with the Wodan and especially the last Wodan (with the aluminum driver frame, 80 g lighter than the old Wodan and its steel frame).

The Wodan and Thekk also use the new self-adapting headband inaugurated by the Magni, which is flexible, lighter and much more comfortable to wear than the old "rigid" headband equipping the Odin and Thror which is certainly more aesthetic and enhances.

There remains the current criticism of the lack of valorization of the new headband equipping all the new range of Kennerton headphones, and which is a little "cheap" for the current high-end headphones of Kennerton (Thekk and Rögnir).

Well I think Kennerton will listen to this criticism and that future Kennerton high-end headphones will be equipped with a more qualitative and valorization headband than the one equipping all the latest Kennerton headphones; they can be trusted on this subject, because they are never short of ideas and good innovations and remain always open to criticism. :)
The fact that Kennerton is always iterating is why I'm a (huge) fan of the brand. :)

I can't wait to see what Valentin and co. have up their sleeves in the months and years to come!

Feb 27, 2021 at 11:34 AM Post #4,499 of 10,023
my small comparison of the Spirit Torino Radiante Ragnarr Professional Closed Back Dynamic Driver and my Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 JM Edition- bottom line GH50 wins for me hands down... https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/sp...rr-edition-for-the-professional.24977/reviews
IMG_4984.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back