Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Feb 10, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #391 of 10,126
Last edited:
Feb 10, 2016 at 1:55 PM Post #392 of 10,126
Well I guess I will forget about this headphone. I was told it will be available for purchase by now and it still isn't. I bought a tube amp instead. Looks like no Americans I know will have this phone. I will check back at the end of this month but I have funds dedicated elsewhere so prob won't happen.

You should know be patient; and patience can even pay!

There was a break of 2 months for the manufacture of Odin due to some failures of some drivers (concerning the very first copies).
Defects in youth of the first drivers have been identified and now corrected.
A new series of drivers is soon coming out (currently in production) ; 80 new Odin are planned with corrected of the defects of the first series ; in addition, a new Litz wire cable will soon be available for sale, with XLR and jack 6.35 mm connectors.
Just be patient!!
smily_headphones1.gif

(see also this link (source of this info) here: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178797109.html#p178797109)

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2016 at 6:39 PM Post #394 of 10,126
  Well I guess I will forget about this headphone. I was told it will be available for purchase by now and it still isn't. I bought a tube amp instead. Looks like no Americans I know will have this phone. I will check back at the end of this month but I have funds dedicated elsewhere so prob won't happen. 

This would seem to be the era of overpriced, non-existent headphones, wouldn't it?

Feb 10, 2016 at 11:14 PM Post #396 of 10,126

There was a break of 2 months for the manufacture of Odin due to some failures of some drivers (concerning the very first copies). 
Defects in youth of the first drivers have been identified and now corrected. 

What exactly is the problem? Would any of the current owners, me included, be affected with it?

Maybe Kennerton Team could shed some light on this?

Feb 11, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #397 of 10,126

What exactly is the problem? Would any of the current owners, me included, be affected with it?

Maybe Kennerton Team could shed some light on this?

According to what I know and have read on the french and russian forum, a limited number of drivers had a tear in the membrane with result the "death" of the driver; failure in relation to a defect of membrane cutting; defect corrected since; in addition, now, all drivers would be tested fifty hours continuously before be marketed to detect possible defects. 
It would seem that the drivers who have "escaped" to these defect (the vast majority in fact) still work very well, despite many hours of listening (mine and yours, apparently
wink.gif
). 
Anyway, the warranty of Odin is 3 years, and if a driver fails, it is replaced by new drivers that would be corrected of these defects in youth.

Feb 11, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #398 of 10,126

According to what I know and have read on the french and russian forum, a limited number of drivers had a tear in the membrane with result the "death" of the driver; failure in relation to a defect of membrane cutting; defect corrected since; in addition, now, all drivers would be tested fifty hours continuously before be marketed to detect possible defects. 
It would seem that the drivers who have "escaped" to these defect (the vast majority in fact) still work very well, despite many hours of listening (mine and yours, apparently
wink.gif
). 
Anyway, the warranty of Odin is 3 years, and if a driver fails, it is replaced by new drivers that would be corrected of these defects in youth.

Thanks for the info. Though it seems that I (and you, apparently :wink: got a non-defective unit, it could still happen, and while there is a 3-year warrantee, sending it to service would be really a PITA (since it will take several weeks), especially considering how I like it.

Hope it won't fail :)

Feb 11, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #399 of 10,126
Mine also is okay. I own the ODIN and MAGISTER (the closed one).

Feb 11, 2016 at 11:05 AM Post #400 of 10,126
Thanks for the info. Though it seems that I (and you, apparently :wink: got a non-defective unit, it could still happen, and while there is a 3-year warrantee, sending it to service would be really a PITA (since it will take several weeks), especially considering how I like it.

Hope it won't fail :)

Last comments (and rectifications) concerning the Kennerton products, by Vasily, on HCFR forum, in English: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178798140.html#p178798140

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2016 at 2:12 PM Post #401 of 10,126
  Last comments (and rectifications) concerning the Kennerton products, by Vasily, on HCFR forum, in English: http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/post178798140.html#p178798140

Cool. Still hope it won't fail :)

Regarding the Vali, it is getting more interesting. So, basically, they got a new 50mm driver (instead of 42mm). I know that bigger doesn't always mean better and there are tons of other factors, but most of the headphones I like got 50+ mm (not all, some of my favorites got 40+mm driver too, most notably Sennheiser HD650). So, fingers crossed.

Feb 12, 2016 at 2:20 AM Post #402 of 10,126
Indeed,

Fingers crossed, me too, but I am confident.

About the New Kennerton Vali.
Specifications are completely news according what is reported by Vasily:

Old specifications:
Technical

Driver Unit​

40 mm​

Frequency Response​

16-25000 Hz​

Sensitivity​

98 dB​

Impedance​

160 Ohm​

Maximum Input Power​

400 mW​

Cord length​

2 m detachable copper cable (3.5 mm)​

New specifications: (with new look?).

Driver Unit: 50 mm
Frequency Response: 10-28000 Hz
Sensitivity: 100 dB/mW
Impedance: 32 Ohm
Maximum Input Power: 500 mW
Cord length: 2 m detachable 4-pin mini XLR OFC cable (3.5/6.3 mm)

Read more at http://www.homecinema-fr.com/forum/...nside-t30059943-2955.html#txBBsKLtx7OtIWXb.99

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2016 at 3:35 AM Post #403 of 10,126
Don't know about the look. It looks ok the way it is now though.

Kinda hope they change the ear pads for Vali. Current pads (from the pictures) remind me a lot of Fischer Audio FA-011's pads, (which I also own, both 011 LE and normal 011 -- they have different woods and pads) and I don't really think they are that comfortable. They literally eat my ears for breakfast.

Given a bigger driver now, and a more massive/heavier frame (akin to Odin's frame) compared to FA011 .... real comfortable pads are a must. We'll see though.

Feb 12, 2016 at 3:00 PM Post #404 of 10,126
Experimental FR (with my K Odin)
Phonic PAA3 (pink noise)

Here is a FR enough coarse of my K. Odin headphone, with a portable microphone Phonic PAA3, left ear pad (measured) plated against the armrest of an old leather chair (rather threadbare: oops:) and microphone boom slipped inside.

A few remarks to make:
I must redeem a more presentable leather chair.
wink.gif

The lowest note of a bass guitar (41 Hz) is perfectly reproduced.
There is a hollow at 5 - 6.3 KHz and a small peak to 8-10 KHz.
The curve is rather flat from 40 Hz to 3.15 KHz and is maintained within the range +/-3 dB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back