Kennerton ODIN, MAGISTER, VALI, Magni, Gjallarhorn, Rögnir, Thridi, Wodan, Thekk, and Thror Discussion.
Nov 24, 2020 at 4:04 PM Post #3,856 of 10,033
Nice! Glad to see the family taking interest in each other's hobbies/activities. :)

My dad.. well, he used to work for Audio-Technica during my formative years, so he literally taught me about good sound. So yeah, "thanks" dad. :joy:

On a side note, you appear to be one of the few who has had experience with the Kennerton Magni. @Mhog55 is actively hunting for impressions of this headphone. Maybe you could help him with that?

:)

My mother, a high level amateur pianist, gave me a taste of classical music, and of romantic classical piano in particular; I discovered with her the Russian composers: Borodin, Stravinsky, Rachmaninoff, Prokofiev, Rimsky-Korsakov ....

The Magni V2 is a very good closed-back electrodynamic headphone, well dynamic with a percussive bass that level is quite dependent on the pressure of the pads (you have to tighten the clamping of the head-band); it has more treble in level than the Thror and the Thekk and is less fine and fluid than the Thror and the Thekk: let's say that it plays in a league below that of Thror and Thekk. The difference is perhaps less obvious on a source and a mid-range amp (like the small Matrix M-Stage headphone amp); this difference becomes more pronounced with a more high-end, or even very high-end amp where the difference in precision, refinement and 3D aspect of the soundstage becomes evident. The sound scene is more diffuse with the Magni ; the midrange is less precise and less coherent; the treble is harder compared to the Thror and Thekk.
However, this is a relative evaluation with two top-of-the-range open planar headphones. I understood that the Magni V2 had knocked out the Focal Elegia, which would not be the best Focal headphones, far from it, while the Thekk rivals perfectly with the Utopia and the Meze Empyrean.
The Magni V3 would be even better than the V2 (with better controlled resonances in the treble than the V2, with its solid wood table).
As for the Gjallarhorn GH 50 and JM Edition (even better controlled), others than me are better placed to talk about it :); it sounds like an exceptional closed-back headphone, but a bit typed.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #3,857 of 10,033
My new Wells Audio amp sounds better then WA33 pushing the Thekk.

Nov 24, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #3,858 of 10,033
On a side note, you appear to be one of the few who has had experience with the Kennerton Magni. @Mhog55 is actively hunting for impressions of this headphone. Maybe you could help him with that?
I've been in a private conversation with him for some time now, he's almost convinced to join the Magni family :D

Nov 24, 2020 at 8:40 PM Post #3,859 of 10,033
I just posted my full review on the Kennerton's Gjallarhorn "JM Edition". I hope you all like it. Peace.

Nov 25, 2020 at 2:52 AM Post #3,860 of 10,033
I just posted my full review on the Kennerton's Gjallarhorn "JM Edition". I hope you all like it. Peace.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/ke...e-closed-back.24769/reviews#item-review-24802

Great reviews, and thank you again to John Massaria whose perseverance in modifying the Gjallarhorn convinced Kennerton to release this modified version of the Gjallorhorn "JM Edition".
Kennerton was much more responsive than Sennheiser with his HD-800 to take into account the modifications suggested by some DIYers, to further improve their product. Well done for their responsiveness. :)

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #3,861 of 10,033
Updated review with a better alignment and some new pictures, including one showing where and how to bend the metal band. Have a nice day Kennerton fans!

Nov 25, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #3,862 of 10,033
@frost15 I hadn't noticed that you, like me, are from Spain :relaxed:

I've just seen your review briefly (is long and in english :wink:) and is so funny the images that you included. I will read later.

Thanks for sharing and next time "spanish review" needed... :relaxed: Several years ago, I was in a spanish audiophile forum but it didn't last so much.

Nov 25, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #3,863 of 10,033
@frost15 I hadn't noticed that you, like me, are from Spain :relaxed:

I've just seen your review briefly (is long and in english :wink:) and is so funny the images that you included. I will read later.

Thanks for sharing and next time "spanish review" needed... :relaxed: Several years ago, I was in a spanish audiophile forum but it didn't last so much.
Hi @Terriero ! Nice to see another spaniard here. Which forum were you talking about? The only audiophile forums I know are all in english or french haha.
About translating the review I would do it if there was a spanish speaking forum definitely!

Nov 25, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #3,864 of 10,033
Hi @Terriero ! Nice to see another spaniard here. Which forum were you talking about? The only audiophile forums I know are all in english or french haha.
About translating the review I would do it if there was a spanish speaking forum definitely!
I forgot its name, maybe "Stereozone" or something similar. There were a few lovers of good music there. I learned about good jazz (and also gregorian chants :wink:) and also contacted to another audiophile guy from Canary islands that was going to buy the Stax SR-009. I though he was crazy, too much money.... And I asked about the Senn HD 800, that I bought by those dates and he had them.

I have read your review. I'm glad you enjoy so much that GH JM edition. I'm going to buy the Denon AH-D9200 and I hope to enjoy them a lot.

By the way, very well written your review (a veces me siento como un indio escribiendo en inglés :anguished: )

Nov 27, 2020 at 1:02 PM Post #3,866 of 10,033
20112707045723553817146424.jpg

Kennerton Gjallarhorn GH50 Raspberry Jam.

https://fr-fr.facebook.com/KennertonAudioEquipment/

Nov 27, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #3,868 of 10,033
Has anyone have some experience pairing a kennerton with a violectric amp?
Any of the Kennertons are ez loads for just about any quality amp and dac but the quality of the recording is paramount

Nov 28, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #3,869 of 10,033
Hi all.

Even better.

20112810334623553817146964.jpg

The (or the ?) headphone(s) to have absolutely at the foot of your Christmas tree this year.

For example the red in unmodified version, for its ardour and the blue, in JM Edition version, for its greater rigour.

Obviously one of the most beautiful, best built (and best ?) closed-back electrodynamic headphones produced, all brands combined. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back