KEF new headphones!
Jun 26, 2013 at 9:24 AM Post #226 of 685
I have found that if I adjust them so that they are centered up and down on my ear and so the headband just lightly touches the top of my head, they are extremely comfortable and sound fantastic. I had about a three hour listening session with them last night with a wide variety of music, my ears did not fatigue in the least. I thought they did a great job playing rock, jazz, and classical. No complaints at this point!

Jun 26, 2013 at 10:18 AM Post #228 of 685
Damn this sounds so tempting... as if I should be spending more money on headphones :D By the way, does anyone who has them wear glasses? Curious as to the comfort while wearing glasses. In my experience, on-ear headphones tend to be very painful to wear with glasses.

Jun 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM Post #230 of 685
Quote:
mcook1970, do the M500 and M200 sound the same or different?

They sound different - mainly because they one is an IEM (incorporating a dual dynamic driver) and the other a headphone (with 40mm driver).

It's a bit like comparing a Harley Davidson with a Ferrari - although they are both high performance in their own right, you just can't compare the two together.

However, what I can say is that they both have the same, unique KEF signature referred to in my previous post - an airiness with controlled treble and bass, and as Trunks 159 said, there is no roll off in the M500s, which is similar to M200s.

But I think its worth you listening to them both (which I did) to assess the sound they both produce to understand what I mean by this.

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #232 of 685
Err why is it difficult to do a like for like comparison to the Momentum. It is what I did before buying. OK so KEF might be aiming at their existing customers who want to compliment their existing KEF HiFi kit with KEF headphones, but it is inevitable consumers will want to compare them as they are at the same price point.

They are both good and in isolation neither are the "wrong" choice. But in a direct a/b I agree with beagle's previous comments. In fact all the online reports about the M500 are strikingly consistent

Jun 26, 2013 at 1:59 PM Post #233 of 685
^ Yep, these are the real deal. People just haven't figured it out yet, but they will eventually. 

I just hope they make a full sized flagship headphone in the future. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:01 PM Post #234 of 685
Quote:
Damn this sounds so tempting... as if I should be spending more money on headphones :D By the way, does anyone who has them wear glasses? Curious as to the comfort while wearing glasses. In my experience, on-ear headphones tend to be very painful to wear with glasses.

I wear glasses and I had a 2 hour listening session with the M500 last night with no problem at all. No painful ear or head. I must say I am kind of taking things to the extreme, as I wear glasses with rather thick plastic temple arms, and to make it worse, I have quite a biggish head. Yet I am having a nice and comfortable time with M500, I am quite sure I can easily extend my listening time with them.

I have a few on-ear headphones and have tried many as well, the M500 is probably one of the most comfortable on-ear in my experience. One of the worst is probably the Beyer DT1350, don't get me wrong, I really love my DT1350, but it is painful to wear them even without my glasses, I can seldom wear them for more than an hour.

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #235 of 685
Interesting impressions...
I don't really like on-ear headphones but these might be worth a try somewhere down the road.

Thanks.

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #236 of 685
Quote:

Vmoda 100 - Way too much bass

Back to the M500s. The FR is almost dead neutral 20-20K. Very rich sound. Tight accurate bass, extended, even treble, nice open mid-range. By the design of these things, I didn't think such an even and extended sound was possible. The sound-stage is average for on ear. Don't expect a huge of out head experience. It is very open and airy sounding, however.

How does the KEF fares in terms of soundstage vs. the Vmoda 100? I´m about to pull the trigger on these.... 

Jun 26, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #237 of 685
The soundstage is slightly smaller but very open sounding,

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:28 PM Post #238 of 685
Just heard a few headphones at best buy:
Momentum
A900x
K550
Ath esw9a
HD558

The esw9a sounded the worse to me, and felt very cheap.

The k550 was overly bright (they had a good seal and were uber comfortable), and a bit strident sounding. Very air and huge sound stage. Didn't even sound closed.

The a900x was nice sounding and was balanced nicely but they wouldn't fit on my head.

The HD558 sounded wonderful really, even doing well with my heavily layered music. Much better than everything else.

Momentum sounded nice, but was kinda congested sounding. They had the most bass of the bunch, but not bloated at all. The layering was done very well (didn't touch the 558), and it was overall pretty neutral.

I have the KEF M500 and is say they're nice. Soundstage is better than the momentum, highs are around the same, vocals are more airy and gentle on the kef, kef has more bass for some songs, and less for others. The momentum was also very comfortable.

The a900x was uber comfortable.

Can't recommend the ATH ESW9a after that short listen.

I like the momentum and m500 equally really.

The 558 though was the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back