KEF new headphones!
Jun 28, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #256 of 685
Quote:
Yep, they sound great without an amp. As I mentioned earlier, amping is an option, not a necessity.

Like everything else on the market they come with a second cable with smartphone controls and the plug is smrtphone case friendly

Jun 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM Post #261 of 685
You know, just looking at the m500, one might think that these cant deliver that big bass performance, or it can't reach as low as something like a m100 or ws99, but damn you'll be surprised. When you want that bass, the bass is definitely there and it will reach as deep as the song wants it to. I put on my lesser mdr 7506 and all I hear is a bunch of sub bass, no matter what song. What some people think is tight bass is really just sub bass.

Anyway, I'll soon compare my ws99 to my m500.

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #262 of 685
I wish they came with a longer "audiophile" cord, both are the same "portable" lengths.

Also the other day the wind was blowing quite hard and I thought they might slip off my head!

I'm enjoying them though. They look really good on my head and off my head. They are just beautiful.

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM Post #263 of 685
Plus all the headphones/earphones that don't have detachable cables at all. Seriously, if I'm spending more than $100, I expect a detachable cable.

I've always wondered as to why a cable should be detacheable??? Ok, I understand it for a pro or dj headphone where the cable might break, but else?

Jun 28, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #264 of 685
Quote:
I've always wondered as to why a cable should be detacheable??? Ok, I understand it for a pro or dj headphone where the cable might break, but else?

I don't either. It dilutes the sound. Instead of a straight path for the signal, it has to go through a plug, connector, then eventually gets to the driver.

Jun 29, 2013 at 6:31 AM Post #265 of 685
personally speaking, phone cables are for phones & not expensive headphones... still we all have to put up with the demands of iPhone users, anyone for Starbucks?.

detachable cables are boon as well... nothing like a good upgrade.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:51 AM Post #266 of 685
NOT like everything else on the market. I'm disappointed with the amount of otherwise good headphones and earphones that don't have smartphone features.

My main point was to illustrate whilst upgrading DAC and amp will enhance the sound, the M500 is first and foremost designed to be used straight out of the headphone port. Sometimes people get so into it on this site they are unable to take a step back and think like a normal consumer :)

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:40 PM Post #268 of 685

Replace it if it breaks, ability to use different cables for different situations (portable phone vs sit-down audiophile listening), upgrade to a better quality one or build your own cable

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #269 of 685
No because it is shaped and moulded to the form of the folded-up M500 design. See my latest Flickr gallery.
Have just tried to zip the case with my Nexus 4 sat on top and it is a no-go.

Something small like a Clip+ / Clip Zip however would easily fit within the spaces

Jun 29, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #270 of 685
I already purchased the M500s as a birthday gift to myself but my wife wants to get me something (though not outrageously expensive) so I was thinking a headphone amp for my bedroom side table. I wonder if the NuForce Icon iDo would be a good match for them. I like the small form factor but I'm brand new to headphone amps and don't have a clue what I should look for. Would be nice in there was a store in New Orleans where I could to and actually listen to headphones and amps to compare but that is such an extreme concept these days when most folks get electronics from Best Buy and Target.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back