KEF new headphones!
Jun 24, 2013 at 8:08 PM Post #211 of 685
Alright guys, ive been listening to these all day, for like 6 hours straight, and they do not sound weird anymore.

They are very detailed, airy, and honest. If the recording artist recorded it, its there.

The bass definitely tightened up. Nuff said. The highs are there, and theres no sibilance, and the mids are very balanced, which is hard to find in closed headphones. The vocals are very... light and airy, just floating in the air.

Im overall satisfied with them and prefer these to the ws99 for everything except r&b, hip hop, and electronic music. The m500 rocks for rock.

Jun 24, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #212 of 685
mcook anything additional to add on the M-200 since you've had several days to burn them in? Any significant change in the sound stage or sound in general?

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:15 PM Post #213 of 685
Well, there was a box waiting for me on the front porch when I got home for work. Golf league prevented me from giving them a good listen, I've got them plugged in right now. They remind me a lot of KEF speakers, which is a good thing.

Jun 24, 2013 at 10:40 PM Post #214 of 685
Quote:
Alright guys, ive been listening to these all day, for like 6 hours straight, and they do not sound weird anymore.

They are very detailed, airy, and honest. If the recording artist recorded it, its there.

The bass definitely tightened up. Nuff said. The highs are there, and theres no sibilance, and the mids are very balanced, which is hard to find in closed headphones. The vocals are very... light and airy, just floating in the air.

Im overall satisfied with them and prefer these to the ws99 for everything except r&b, hip hop, and electronic music. The m500 rocks for rock.

OK, now we are on the same page
biggrin.gif

Jun 25, 2013 at 2:01 AM Post #216 of 685
You guys don't happen to attend a lot of metal concerts without earplugs now do you? :wink:

I maintain an alarming amount of people must not know how their music should sound as otherwise B&W would not sell so much. Not hating as their speakers are good but their headphone efforts have gone off-road. It is unmistakeably obvious the first time you listen vocals are off. I cannot be the only one here to have heard some of their CD collection live in concert. Not even a matter of subjectivity if that is not the artist's voice...

Jun 25, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #217 of 685
Quote:
mcook anything additional to add on the M-200 since you've had several days to burn them in? Any significant change in the sound stage or sound in general?

Yeah, they have really opened up now. I would say sound stage is very detailed, everything about them is bang on the money. I really can't find any fault in them and they can handle any genre of music. 
ksc75smile.gif

If the M500s can achieve anything like this sound then I will definitely have to buy a pair! 
dt880smile.png

Jun 25, 2013 at 5:09 PM Post #220 of 685
So, not sure if burn in will change things down the road, and its definitely too early to give any "set in stone" opinions. But I know how antsy I was waiting for more impressions, so I'll just start with a little background and say how these are working out for ME, YMMV. And if burn in or time changes things, it will only be for the better. 

I've started out with high end audio listening to speakers years ago. I moved over to headphones because of how practical they are, and I haven't always had access to a listening room to dial in speakers, etc.

I have been happy with my main headphones for a long time now, mainly K-1000s and HP-2s. And my IEMs ER4s, but I really wanted a good portable closed headphone that wouldn't be embarrassing to wear in public. My expectations were high, and all of the options pretty much fell short... due to my high expectations, mainly. As you can probably tell from my main phones, I like mostly an uncolored, neutral, natural and a detailed presentation of music, or in a word, accurate to the original recording. I can't stand excess bass or recessed treble which seem to be the standard these days.

I've either listened to or owned the follow phones:

Vmoda 80 - too much bass, not enough treble
Vmoda 100 - Way too much bass
DT1350 - One of my favorites but upper mid-range dip left me wanting more, treble sparkle missing
Amperiors - Exciting phone. Too much bass, nice sparkling treble, but upper mid-range fatigues, sibilance
Sony MDR -1R - very midfi sounding, meh at best
Momentums - excess mid bass, treble is too subdued, dark, but very warm and smooth sounding
Shure SRH-940 - Top tier detail and relatively neutral, true high end qualities for $300, problem, very ugly, cheap plastic cracks within a year, mid base is recessed which makes it sound a bit hollow and thin, but great sound for the price
AKG K550 - uneven treble, large sound-stage but somewhat unnatural, not the best for small heads
B&W P5 - not a fan of B&W speakers or house sound. Honestly, they just didn't impress. 
Mad Dog's - Very good sounding, but not as extended as I would like, and I didn't like the bass presentation all that much. Kind of needs an amp to shine. 

I point out my listening preference and background mainly to give you an idea of whether you might like these phones or not. I definitely do not want anyone to take my impressions of the phones listed above as absolutes. I just wanted to list the reasons they, ultimately, didn't work for ME. They all have attributes that would bring many hours of enjoyment to anyone who likes their particular sound.

Back to the M500s. The FR is almost dead neutral 20-20K. Very rich sound. Tight accurate bass, extended, even treble, nice open mid-range. By the design of these things, I didn't think such an even and extended sound was possible. The sound-stage is average for on ear. Don't expect a huge of out head experience. It is very open and airy sounding, however.

The memory foam pads are a delight. The clamp is minimal. It is very light and looks even better than the Momentums which I think look great. All the parts are high quality and luxurious looking, feeling. The case is even small and nice looking. 

So, I finally found a mid-level, closed phone that checks ALL the boxes for me and gives a true high end-ish sound, top to bottom, that is musical, low profile, comfortable and looks great. Well done Kef. It's great to see a company keep their integrity by nailing it right out of the shoot rather than releasing a compromised portable into an overcrowded segment. They engineered a brand new type of driver and implemented it well.

The isolation is very unique. As you might imagine, this type of on ear is not going to block out a lot of outside sound overall, but the pads tend to muffle it in a way that causes it to not interfere with the music. Overall, the only on ear portable that does any IEM level isolation is the DT1350 which also had a tight clamp that made long term listening difficult. If you need serious isolation, you really need an IEMs.

Amping the M500 helps and tightens everything up. While amping does step its qualities up, these sound very good straight out of a phone as well. Amping is a choice, not a necessity.

I can sum it up by repeating what has already been said in this thread:
The sound is rich, liquid, extended, neutral, full bodied, musical, pretty much whatever is on the recording comes out.... like Kef speakers.

Lastly, I hate to hype anything, and these won't “blow you away” when you put them on. Like most quality headphones, these will grow on you if you like this type of uncolored, non exaggerated sound.  

Jun 26, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #224 of 685
Having listened to a pair on Sunday, and reading the various posts on here, yesterday I decided to take a trip down to my local audio dealer where I was lucky enough to demo a pair.

The guy in the audio store was an extremely helpful, basically allowing me access to the in-store "audio" room, which was fully sound proofed and perfect conditions to demo different audio equipment.

I had about a half hour session listening to these headphones, listening to specific tracks on my amped iPod such as Queen, Led Zeppelin, The Who and a bit of jazz and classical music.

First impressions were the in-store demo headphones were extremely comfortable, barely needed any adjusting and sat nice and comfy on my ears and head. There was no indication of pressure or clamping on my head. I also rocked backwards and forwards to see if I encountered any issues with them slipping off my head, something that was mentioned in an earlier post (the people in the store must have found this amusing and like watching someone re-enacting a scene from One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest!). Again, no issues.

Sound wise, I cannot provide a proper assessment of the headphone. But what I can tell is that some of my original observations, having listened to the M500s on Sunday, were immediately overturned.

Some of the posts on this thread have mentioned about the airiness of the headphones - I would certainly agree with this, going as far to say they also have a unique signature sound, which is a positive and not a negative. Vocals were very clear and upfront and the music fitted nicely around them, with the bass warm and lush (this is obviously dependant on the audio track / recording, but the tracks I listened to definitely brought out these characteristics). 

The surprise factor to me was the treble - in one of my previous posts, I commented the treble sounding recessed (based on my previous M500 listening experience) comparing them to the B&W P5. Well, I found this NOT to be the case, the treble was fine. In fact, I would refer to the sound as "real", not recessed or overly projected, just right. For example, a cymbal sound sounded natural and wasn't masked or sound too sparkly or flat.

After about 3 minutes (and having reached the infamous bridge of Bohemian Rhapsody") I was hooked - these headphones were literally stuck to me and I was totally consumed by both the comfort and sound.

I know there have been some questions about comparing these to other headphones, such as the Sennheiser Momentum's. I think this is very difficult to do, the Momentum's are very bright and I find they tick most of the boxes when it comes to audio experience without actually being outstanding in any one particular area. I think it is going to be extremely difficult to do a "like-for-like" comparison with these, which I don't think is necessary a bad thing.

As I said, the M500s are a unique listening experience and based on my limited 30 minute demo, I was compelled to part with some quite a lot of money to purchase them.

So I am now the proud owner of the M500s, which I am currently "running in". My only observation at this stage (and it is really early days), other than the usual precursory burn-in state, is there is a slight clamping to the head compared with the ones I tried in-store, but I think this will improve over time through normal wear and tear.

I am extremely happy to be part of the KEF revolution, having now purchased both the M200s and M500s. I hope to do a proper review in the near future once I have had ample chance to fully burn them in and listen to different genres of music.

In the meantime, for those of you who are still uncertain, take a leap of faith and try and get a demo of these headphones and hopefully you will be extremely pleased you have done so.

Jun 26, 2013 at 8:47 AM Post #225 of 685
Very nice impressions! My impressions are the same with about 20 hours of burn in on the headphones and on my mind. They definitely sound different than many headphones. There's no sense of bass roll off, and the vocals are just so... hard to explain.

Anyway, my WS99 sounds more like a headphone with the common characteristics, but they excel at bassier genres.

Anyone has any tracks that sound great on the m500?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back