KEF new headphones!
Jun 24, 2013 at 12:38 PM Post #196 of 685
Quote:
How do the M500s compare to Yamaha PRO 500s?

Quote:
There is no comparison. KEF all the way.

Uh, kinda apples and oranges here. Two different sonic signatures, two different sizes and designs. I give the nod to the KEF for neutrality and comfort but a bit of an edge to the 500 for impact and musicality. But again, it's like asking which is better, surf and turf or lasagna. Some may prefer one over the other.
But its like comparing

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:41 PM Post #197 of 685
If all goes well, I may get a chance to hear these or buy them today. I'll try and report back since I've heard or owned almost all of the closed portables in this price range.

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:52 PM Post #198 of 685
Quote:
If all goes well, I may get a chance to hear these or buy them today. I'll try and report back since I've heard or owned almost all of the closed portables in this price range.

Would love to hear your impressions! Let us know how the isolation is too. From looking at the pics, tough to imagine them isolating well. Be great to know whether you think they improve from amping, too. 

Jun 24, 2013 at 12:56 PM Post #199 of 685
You really have to listen to these (really all headphones) for a while before coming to a conclusion. These are growing on me, and the bass has tightened up. I only have one problem:
There's a certain lack of fullness and security. It sounds very hifi but it lacks focus. I don't know if I'm saying this right... hard to explain.

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #200 of 685
Hey, Trunks- when you ordered yours, did you get any kind of confirmation email that they had been shipped? I ordered a set last Thursday and I've just gotten an email that they received my order. Also, did you go for the 2nd day air or ground shipping? I'm experiencing some impatience!

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:26 PM Post #201 of 685
Quote:
I only have one problem: There's a certain lack of fullness and security. It sounds very hifi but it lacks focus. I don't know if I'm saying this right... hard to explain.

Another way of saying they lack colorations akin to other headphones.

Jun 24, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #202 of 685
Quote:
Another way of saying they lack colorations akin to other headphones.

Thanks because I read the post multiple times and could not decipher it
tongue.gif
It may be a site for enthusiasts but it is perfectly possible to describe sound in layman's terms.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #203 of 685
Hey, Trunks- when you ordered yours, did you get any kind of confirmation email that they had been shipped? I ordered a set last Thursday and I've just gotten an email that they received my order. Also, did you go for the 2nd day air or ground shipping? I'm experiencing some impatience!

Yeah, I got a confirmation email, and it was just normal shipping. I bought em on Amazon on Monday of last week and got them on Friday.

Jun 24, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #205 of 685
I've been buying audio gear since the early 1970's, you can go bankrupt chasing perfection. You should participate in a blind test sometime, you'll be amazed at how much of a factor your mind can be. I ordered mine through KEF-Direct.

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:04 PM Post #206 of 685
I demo'd a pair yesterday, didn't really have the chance to give them a proper listen. Initial impression was sonically they sounded similar to the B&W P5s, great enclosed sound but felt there was something lacking, the treble sounded a bit recessed. But this is based on a short demo, I know that with decent headphones they need proper burn in time. Therefore, I would be interested to know what they sound like once they have been burnt in and whether the sound loosens up and is worth upgrading my P5s for these. I also own a pair of AKG K550s and Sennheiser Momentum, completely different soundstage and agree with some of the previous comments that its like comparing apples with oranges. But I guess its the comparison with the P5s I am most interested in.

Jun 24, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #207 of 685
It's not hard to find an upgrade when B&W have completely coloured the sound of the P5, the treble roll-off is horrific and the bass is adequate at best. I've just found Skylab's review on the product page and it perfectly encapsulates the misstep B&W took

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:14 PM Post #208 of 685
I gave them a listen at the hi fi audio shop (buy from & support your mom & pop brick & mortars plz, ok, off soap box).

I bought them, nuff said, for now.

Jun 24, 2013 at 7:54 PM Post #210 of 685
Quote:
It's not hard to find an upgrade when B&W have completely coloured the sound of the P5, the treble roll-off is horrific and the bass is adequate at best. I've just found Skylab's review on the product page and it perfectly encapsulates the misstep B&W took

Quote:
I demo'd a pair yesterday, didn't really have the chance to give them a proper listen. Initial impression was sonically they sounded similar to the B&W P5s, great enclosed sound but felt there was something lacking, the treble sounded a bit recessed. But this is based on a short demo, I know that with decent headphones they need proper burn in time.

You guys don't happen to attend a lot of metal concerts without earplugs now do you?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back