Keeping my new headphones in shape?
Aug 19, 2011 at 2:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Sadiew

New Head-Fier
A few hours ago I purchased a part of Audio Technica ATH-M50 headphones after I was recommended to them for my music listening purposes. I got them at a pretty good deal from a Hong Kong based operation (which worries me that I won't even get them but different point all together) so I'm really stoked and wanna get a head start. I've purchased and own tons of earphones and a few headphones ranging from 2-15, 15-40, and a few 50-100 but not much else, so this is my first high end pair. In the past my earphones and headphones have had troubles, often the first few months in. Usually the left side gives out sound wise, and often I think it's because of stretching of wires near the junction to the jack plug. This would happen also w/ head/earphones that were thicker cords and ones that had an L shape near the plug. I tried to be more careful, but this always seems to happen no matter the cost or quality. I listen to music alot but I don't feel I'm particularly abusive to them. I try to pull them out from the plug and not the cord and don't warp them around my iPod anymore, but still.

So, my questions are:
1. are there basically any good tips on keeping my new headphones in good condition? and
2. more specifically, how can I keep the wires from stretching (which is what I think is happening) so the sound doesn't give out on one side, and tehn eventually both, in a few months? Thanks so much for any help :)

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:24 AM Post #2 of 4
The wires usually end up tearing inside the chord, they don't stretch.

I'm not very abusive with my headphones but until I started using audiophile grade headphones, I noticed they were constructed of much higher quality materials and no matter how rough I am with them over general use, excising, and skateboarding I noticed that one side doesn't randomly give out and stop working which was the problem with low end/cheap IEM's and a few headphones I was using before I started getting into audiophilia(skullcandy, etc).

As well with being a DJ and using my current mixing headphones(AKG K81DJ) which are very rugged, I tend to get into the music a bit to much with my headphones on and have ended up ripping out my headphones from the mixer. Still in perfect working condition.

Rubbing down the headband and earpads with rubbing alcohol on a rag also helps keep your headphones less greasy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back