KB EAR Audio impressions thread
Jan 1, 2021 at 6:42 AM Post #1,156 of 2,441
Happy new year Wendy. The TRi i3 is such a good IEM. The formula of a DD, Planar, BA is brilliant. If that trio of components is upgraded without a big increase in cost you will have something even more 'special' than the already 'special' TRi i3. That's my new year wish.
Shift the DD away and add in EST instead?🤣 It might be doable with a bigger new planar driver. Pls dun retain the bulk shell ! 😄

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 4:14 PM Post #1,157 of 2,441
It's winter here, so time to give the Believe an anti-condensation mod. I was really hoping that having the damper on top of the dust guard would fix the issue of moisture blocking the sound, but this country is just too cold and wet, so if I want to use them outside without random volume losses some reconfiguration is required.

Long term I’d need a replacement for the original dampers anyway as they're going to lose transparency over time, and replacements aren’t included.

4.7mm dust guards and expanded cotton tuning dampers in the links below if anyone’s got the same problem (and wants to avoid channel imbalance issues from DIY foam), I use one of each (densest on top) to get a slightly more bass balanced, warmed up tuning than the original, with what sounds like a modest boost to note weight and clarity, especially at the bottom end. Separation seems slightly improved as well, but that could just be wishful thinking as it was pretty damn good already.

F9C9F484-C8BD-4FD6-9491-60AD2653D2AB.jpeg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32453706088.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.32504c4dBl1ocp

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000505231389.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.32504c4dBl1ocp

Update: Now that kbear have started stocking them as accessories, I've since switched back to Believe dampers without the dust guards, as the moisture only gets trapped between the damper and dust guard, not in the damper if mounted by itself.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #1,158 of 2,441
It's winter here, so time to give the Believe an anti-condensation mod. I was really hoping that having the damper on top of the dust guard would fix the issue of moisture blocking the sound, but this country is just too cold and wet, so if I want to use them outside without random volume losses some reconfiguration is required.

Long term I’d need a replacement for the original dampers anyway as they're going to lose transparency over time, and replacements aren’t included.

4.7mm dust guards and expanded cotton tuning dampers in the links below if anyone’s got the same problem (and wants to avoid channel imbalance issues from DIY foam), I use one of each (densest on top) to get a slightly more bass balanced, warmed up tuning than the original, with what sounds like a modest boost to note weight and clarity, especially at the bottom end. Separation seems slightly improved as well, but that could just be wishful thinking as it was pretty damn good already.

F9C9F484-C8BD-4FD6-9491-60AD2653D2AB.jpeg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32453706088.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.32504c4dBl1ocp

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000505231389.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.32504c4dBl1ocp

I already own the black foam pieces. But I noticed that they now sell white.

Is the only difference the color, or is the density of the foam different?

Jan 1, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #1,159 of 2,441
For me foam tips usually never work and the standard silicone tips work best. But with the KBear Believe, the foam tips work great and silicone tips don't. With the silicone tips, I was getting growing channel imbalance and loss of dynamics after a while, but the foam tips fixed and reversed that.

I believe this is because they have two vent holes, one on the shell and one on an unusual place on the nozzle. With the silicone tips the nozzle vent was getting blocked in one or both of my ears, but the foam tips push the nozzle slightly in another direction and the vent does not get blocked.

Jan 1, 2021 at 6:00 PM Post #1,160 of 2,441
I already own the black foam pieces. But I noticed that they now sell white.

Is the only difference the color, or is the density of the foam different?
The white ones are much less dense...if I had to guesstimate the black ones have about x2.5 more damping effect than the whites, and might be better at suppressing upper mids specifically...I know that X2 stacked white dampers wasn't enough to get the Believe's mids under control, so I switched out the top one to a black and it all came together. I might try a single black in each but it's pretty much perfect for my tastes as it is.

Jan 3, 2021 at 10:31 AM Post #1,161 of 2,441
I’ve been tip rolling through my collection with the Believe, and while it sounded good, it never sounded amazing. I usually don’t use stock ear tips, but I just decided to try the stock tips yesterday. It now sounds very different. Much more lively, improved clarity, bigger soundstage, and better imaging. It now sounds like a whole different IEM somehow.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:12 AM Post #1,162 of 2,441
I’ve been tip rolling through my collection with the Believe, and while it sounded good, it never sounded amazing. I usually don’t use stock ear tips, but I just decided to try the stock tips yesterday. It now sounds very different. Much more lively, improved clarity, bigger soundstage, and better imaging. It now sounds like a whole different IEM somehow.
How much time you have on BElieve?

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #1,163 of 2,441
I remember fiio asking Dsnuts for 100hrs burn-in time, so that leads my questions, btw.

Jan 3, 2021 at 11:51 AM Post #1,164 of 2,441
I remember fiio asking Dsnuts for 100hrs burn-in time, so that leads my questions, btw.
For me not only does the driver need to free up, the brain needs a period of adjustment as well. then there is the issue of synergy with the source. once all those things line up I get a better idea of what the set I am listening to is capable of.

as for an OEM asking for burn in time from the consumer...
If it that important, do it in the factory before you ship

Jan 3, 2021 at 12:25 PM Post #1,165 of 2,441

You are absolutely right! I am using the black or dark grey and they do sound like different IEMs, the clarity and details are immediately obvious. Thanks for the tip...unintended.

Jan 3, 2021 at 1:02 PM Post #1,166 of 2,441
For me not only does the driver need to free up, the brain needs a period of adjustment as well. then there is the issue of synergy with the source. once all those things line up I get a better idea of what the set I am listening to is capable of.

as for an OEM asking for burn in time from the consumer...
If it that important, do it in the factory before you ship
But then it un-burns during shipping and you need to re-burn it :D

Jan 3, 2021 at 2:28 PM Post #1,167 of 2,441
I’m not sure. I usually give my IEMs time, but don’t necessarily keep track of number of hours. This would have nothing to do with break-in though, b/c I noticed the big difference in sound immediately upon switching ear tips.

You are absolutely right! I am using the black or dark grey and they do sound like different IEMs, the clarity and details are immediately obvious. Thanks for the tip...unintended.
Yeah, it totally caught me by surprise. It sounded good already, but was kind of flat and boring, regardless of source and amp power.

But then it un-burns during shipping and you need to re-burn it :D
This doesn’t happen. Breaking in the driver is getting it to mechanically “loosen-up” and settle in to it‘s intended state after initial manufacturing. That‘s different that shaking off a few cobwebs. It‘s like not revving up a new car’s engine to redline for the first couple thousand miles, to let the engine break-in. If you then don’t drive it for a prolonged period of time, you don’t need to do the same thing again, for such a long duration. It will settle back in quickly.

Jan 3, 2021 at 3:21 PM Post #1,168 of 2,441
I’m not sure. I usually give my IEMs time, but don’t necessarily keep track of number of hours. This would have nothing to do with break-in though, b/c I noticed the big difference in sound immediately upon switching ear tips.

Yeah, it totally caught me by surprise. It sounded good already, but was kind of flat and boring, regardless of source and amp power.

This doesn’t happen. Breaking in the driver is getting it to mechanically “loosen-up” and settle in to it‘s intended state after initial manufacturing. That‘s different that shaking off a few cobwebs. It‘s like not revving up a new car’s engine to redline for the first couple thousand miles, to let the engine break-in. If you then don’t drive it for a prolonged period of time, you don’t need to do the same thing again, for such a long duration. It will settle back in quickly.
Hey I was just joking, but I admit that my smiley at the end was not a clear indication of this :) I am sure there are many who take this seriously.

Jan 3, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #1,169 of 2,441

YEP! I tried the Dekoni's for awhile but they seem to smooth things a bit too much and really, my only issue with the believe is the midbass hump. Easy to just EQ it down a few dB and BAM! Near perfect IEM.

Jan 3, 2021 at 6:51 PM Post #1,170 of 2,441
YEP! I tried the Dekoni's for awhile but they seem to smooth things a bit too much and really, my only issue with the believe is the midbass hump. Easy to just EQ it down a few dB and BAM! Near perfect IEM.

Give it time, the mid-bass should settle and you might just feel the mid-bass will be better controlled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back