KB EAR Audio impressions thread
Jan 7, 2021 at 11:39 PM Post #1,217 of 2,441
I got the Believe in, and I gotta say I'm really surprised how bassy these are. I was expecting something more balanced, but the mid bass is overwhelming. In fact, it really doesn't sound much better than my KZ ZAX. Big boomy bass, recessed mids.

I've tried all my tips and nothing seems to tame it. Is something wrong with mine? I'm kind of shocked here because I have read very few criticisms of the tuning on these.

Are there some tips that will cut mid bass?

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #1,218 of 2,441
I got the Believe in, and I gotta say I'm really surprised how bassy these are. I was expecting something more balanced, but the mid bass is overwhelming. In fact, it really doesn't sound much better than my KZ ZAX. Big boomy bass, recessed mids.

I've tried all my tips and nothing seems to tame it. Is something wrong with mine? I'm kind of shocked here because I have read very few criticisms of the tuning on these.

BF8AEC6B-B3BB-4689-86BF-91A680C5343D.jpeg

I don’t find them bassy personally.. maybe unit variation?

Jan 7, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #1,219 of 2,441

Why should there be criticisms of the tuning just because it’s got plenty of bass on tap?

Not everyone is looking for a super flat tuning for classical music (for example).

Also, are you using an amp, or just some random cell phone? Because as has been stated by numerous people, it NEEDS an amp to sound correct. It’s not optional; it’s required.

Also, what tips are you using? They are quite tip dependent.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2021 at 11:57 PM Post #1,220 of 2,441
Why should there be criticisms of the tuning just because it’s got plenty of bass on tap?

Not everyone is looking for a super flat tuning for classical music (for example).

Also, are you using an amp, or just some random cell phone? Because as has been stated by numerous people, it NEEDS an amp to sound correct. It’s not optional; it’s required.

Also, what tips are you using? They are quite tip dependent.
Spinfits, stock, stock foams. I'm not hearing much variance off amps at all. JDS Atom and MOTU M4. It's 17 Ohms and 98dB, people think that's hard to drive? My PortaPros take more than these : /

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:07 AM Post #1,221 of 2,441
Spinfits, stock, stock foams. I'm not hearing much variance off amps at all. JDS Atom and MOTU M4. It's 17 Ohms and 98dB, people think that's hard to drive? My PortaPros take more than these : /

Ditch the Spinfits. Stock grey and red tips seem to sound the best for most people.

If you still don’t like it, the tuning may just not be for you. Different strokes for different folks and all that :)

Jan 8, 2021 at 12:33 AM Post #1,222 of 2,441

they are midbassy but most of that goes away with burn in and use the silicone tips with the orange stems.

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:01 AM Post #1,223 of 2,441

Hi friend, did you use an amp to release Believe's potential?

Jan 8, 2021 at 1:34 AM Post #1,224 of 2,441
Hi friend, did you use an amp to release Believe's potential?
Yes, I have a JDS Atom and MOTU M4. They actually sound slightly better off my LG G7 because they don't trigger high impedance mode, and with less power there's a small reduction in bass.

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:27 AM Post #1,225 of 2,441

Try some Azla Sedna Shorts (Light), or remove the acoustic dampers for a major boost to the mids and treble (you’ll probably have to remove the dust filters as well, which are underneath the dampers). If the latter gives you too much top end then there are lots of options for alternative dampers to get the tuning where you want it.

...and there’s always EQ.

Jan 8, 2021 at 2:53 AM Post #1,226 of 2,441
TRI Starlight--Seeking Light in the Dark Night!

TRI, the sister brand of KB EAR, has a flagship product named TRI Starlight!

2020 witnessed the Covid-19, and we all in the same planet are still suffering from and fighting against the pandemic disease, which is a dark time for us all! I remember Gu Cheng, a famous Chinese modern poet, essayist and novelist (September 24, 1956 – October 8, 1993), wrote "The darkest night gave me dark-colored eyes, yet with them I'm seeking light", from his two-line poem titled "A Generation". That may indicate things happened in his generation, but his sentence presents a positive attitude!

In our generation, during this tough time, we experienced much and enlightened much, however, the vaccine is approaching soon, we need to find and keep the light in heart and stay positive for our life, for our future! Just take care and stay healthy for a better and prosperous tomorrow!

Starlight.jpeg

9.jpg

Jan 8, 2021 at 5:30 AM Post #1,227 of 2,441
Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #1,228 of 2,441
Try some Azla Sedna Shorts (Light), or remove the acoustic dampers for a major boost to the mids and treble (you’ll probably have to remove the dust filters as well, which are underneath the dampers). If the latter gives you too much top end then there are lots of options for alternative dampers to get the tuning where you want it.

...and there’s always EQ.
I'd rather not take them apart in case I ever need to sell them. Although I wonder if the damper is what's smoothing out everything too. There's like a compression like timbre to instruments that sounds borderline unnatural. These sound like they were tuned for electronic music. I'm really not digging them for vocals, acoustic, live, or instruments. The recessed 1K region especially makes male vocals veiled, and Guitars sound "off". I think it's this recession that makes me turn the volume up, and then the bass gets some more juice and ramps up. The lack of treble doesn't help with the guitars either.

EDIT: And so far 2 flange sounds wayyyy better to me. I may go back to the stock tips and try covering the bass vent too

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #1,229 of 2,441
On the way: BElieve. I had better dust off my Fiio A5......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back