Kaosun's Vintage CD Player Service Bulletin
Jul 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #151 of 213
Hi Kaosun!

I appreciate your help here. My dad wants to start using his Sony D100 again, but cannot find the power supply. It says DC IN 9V. Can you recommend any power supply available on the internet?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 15, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #152 of 213
I'm 99% sure the Sony Discman D-100 (manufactured somewhere around 86/87) uses a 9V negative tip power supply common with models from the D-5/D-50 through the D-150, D-250, D-555, D-9, D-40, and D-350.  A Sony AC-950W or AC-940A power supply will provide the proper voltage/power.  Also, a lot of Panasonic phone power supplies (the bulky grey ones) provide the proper fitting plug and voltage.  Just make sure you get one with at least 500mA max current (600mA is better) and a negative tip.  If you want to make sure, check the picture on the back of the D-100.  It should have a '+' with a line pointing to the outer ring and a '-' with a line pointing to the inner ring/dot.  This indicates the center of the plug, the tip, is negative relative to the outer portion of the barrel plug.  

I'm posting a picture of an AC-940A that I took from an eBay listing.  Make sure the diagram looks like the one on the back of the D-100. 

Oct 7, 2014 at 9:53 AM Post #154 of 213
Hi Kaosun,

I am new to this forum, and I just sent you a PM regarding repair work on two Philips AZ6808. I really would like them to work again or have them combined into 1 proper working player. One of them I bought only this morning in mint condition in its original box, with all accesories in their original packing materials incl. the battery pack, so the laser might be just fine/brandnew.

Peter

Oct 8, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #155 of 213
I'd forgotten this thread existed
regular_smile .gif

If anyone reading this owns a D-777 or E-905 that intermittently skips whilst playing (I mean whilst not being shaken), PM me as I know the most common cause, and associated solution, from personal experience of these wonderful players.

Dec 22, 2014 at 7:33 PM Post #159 of 213
It seems I repaired you D515 successfully by replacing DSP chip? 

Your Toshiba Xr-P22 can be repaired now. Also you can collect other two brothers: P20 and P21.

I love P20 most.

Dec 28, 2014 at 12:21 AM Post #162 of 213
Hello, kaosun. Thank you for all the years of work you have put into vintage portable CD players and the wealth of knowledge that you have developed.

I just receive a Sony Discman D-25. The disc spins, I can skip tracks manually and it stops advancing at the correct final track based on the CD, but it does not play.

I suspect (at least) laser alignment and perhaps focusing is needed, and maybe lubrication of the laser worm gear for the sled.

Are there other problems that this particular model is known for? Things such as capacitor failure, etc.

(I also plan to try the trick of covering up the plastic window with an opaque flat, but that sounds too easy for success!).

Thank you for whatever information you can provide.

Feb 12, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #163 of 213
Your laser is fine. Most likely it's caused by your gear lubrication, or gear lost teeth.
You need send it here for further inspection. But if you open it and apply lubrication , maybe you can handle it.
Good luck!

Mar 9, 2015 at 11:50 AM Post #164 of 213
Hello Kaosun, I have come across an offer for a Philips AZ6808 at a decent price but not sure if it is worth a shot.  Cosmetically the player looks alright but I have no idea about the internals.  Are these Philips player more difficult to repair if there's a problem with them?  I mean compare to Sony player of the same vintage (D555/D303/D350) it seems the Sony relatively easy to repair because parts are still available.  Can you share some experience you have with the Philips?

Mar 12, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #165 of 213
You can hardly find any spare parts for AZ6808/6826/6819/6829. Fortunately, any issues related with them like laser or motor problems can be repaired here. Contact me if you have any concerns!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back