Kaldas Research RR 1 Conquest ($500 Electrostatic)
Oct 25, 2019 at 3:30 PM Post #301 of 730
I have the Z1R and the Abyss tc and the RR1 is not them. But it has better bass than the 800S that I also have. Better in that it hits harder, deeper, with close to the same detail. It is a very non fatiguing sound signature.

Oct 25, 2019 at 3:34 PM Post #302 of 730
Detail is not on the same level of the Abyss or LCD4. However at it’s price point it is very good. It is also fast with nice soundstage. I would say bass reminds me of Utopia levels with a little less detail.

Oct 25, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #303 of 730
I have the Z1R and the Abyss tc and the RR1 is not them. But it has better bass than the 800S that I also have. Better in that it hits harder, deeper, with close to the same detail. It is a very non fatiguing sound signature.
Nice. I actually have a friend's Diana Phi here with me for a few weeks so likely will get a chance to test her out. The RR1 just sounds so damn attractive now. If it wasn't for the need to get something like the SRD -7 I would jump at it I think, but to for now having to buy another piece of gear in order to use it is a barrier, but one that I'll eventually get over.

Oct 26, 2019 at 3:53 PM Post #305 of 730
Listening more to my RR1 and no issues... it's working great and sounds great.

i-fz6pbwM.jpg

i-Q3KzdvC.jpg

A few tracks I like that really show its bass and detail (listening to the downloaded FLACs, the streaming quality linked isn't bad though...but not quite the same):

Am liking the RR1 quite a bit, but still think I prefer my L300 Limiteds right now as it's punchier sounding with a larger and more holographic sense of space and pinpoint precision in locating sound. Only have really heard the RR1 for about 6 hours at this point and have had over a years time to get to know the L300 Limited. They are two different things which is good...means can keep both. :)

P.S. tried a drum solo video I love on youtube for headphone testing...and yeah... bass body is beyond nice on the RR1, the kick drum impact is absolutely beautiful - very much almost like a good dynamic. Kick drum and toms go to the RR1 while the high-hat/cymbals, and stick work goes to STAX...

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #307 of 730
VRacer-111 I see your serial number is 24. I just received mine this week, #29, I guess for now it is a pretty small club. But from my early impressions I think it grow as fast as they can produce them.

Oct 26, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #308 of 730
This will be a headphone I hold on too, just as a piece of history. Besides it sounds real nice.:)

Oct 28, 2019 at 2:40 AM Post #309 of 730
With a very modest bass boost I really enjoyed the HD800S. So in short I don't need the bass of the Sony Z1R (which I owned and loved) but I don't want a Grado SR225i sound either.

The bass of the rr1 is more impactful than the HD800S. But the HD800S bass has more texture. I think as long as you aren't hoping for the slam of many planars, you will find the bass meeting your requirements, based on what you've described.

Oct 28, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #310 of 730
The bass of the rr1 is more impactful than the HD800S. But the HD800S bass has more texture. I think as long as you aren't hoping for the slam of many planars, you will find the bass meeting your requirements, based on what you've described.
Thank you very much, your thoughts on the subject have been very helpful.

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #311 of 730
The RR1 arrived a week ago by DHL Express. Many thanks to Aumkar for the great customer service.

I have a Stax 4170 system so I can connect both RR1 and SR-407 to SRM-006ts and do some A/B compares. I also have a Stax L300 (Blu-Tack modded) so I could also compare RR1 and L300.

I haven't been able to spend enough time with RR1 in order to get a good grasp of its sound signature. Here are some early impressions.
  1. The RR1 sounds pretty good right out of the box. I immediately noticed the bass. It's quite clean and solid with good slams. The sound stage seems to be a little wider than L300. However, SR-407 sounds to be more airy to me.
  2. The FR chart that came with RR1 showed the bass is flat down to 30 Hz. Although I heard the bass started to roll off at somewhere around 30-40 Hz during the frequency tests. This may have something to do with my own hearing capability though. This is not an issue for the music genres I listen to (modern piano, small ensemble, some classical). For vocals I still prefer SR-407, for now.
  3. The RR1 is built solid. It's heavier than the Stax's. The headband clamping force is quite strong for my large head (also with glasses). It feels stronger than HD650. I have to take a break after about 45 minutes of listening. Although I think the clamping might be okay for people with regular hat size.
  4. The RR1 seems to be less efficient than the Stax's. I need to turn the volume knob up by 20-30% to get the same sound level.
  5. I wish the cable can be a little longer (12" longer maybe?)
Here are some photos. I didn't remove the tapes on the top of the ear cups because I am afraid the cups may get scratched.

IMG_6292.JPG IMG_6293.JPG IMG_6333.JPG IMG_6334.JPG IMG_6335.JPG IMG_6336.JPG FR Serial No 32.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2019 at 7:58 AM Post #315 of 730
Would you say it beats the l-300 in clarity and detail?

Yes, with the srm-006ts amp the RR1 definitely has more clarity and more details than L300 with a good margin. The RR1 sounds crispier but never harsh or sibilant. It does have that magic e-stat sound. Although I have never had the experience with higher Stax models so I can’t comment on them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back