Kaldas Research RR 1 Conquest ($500 Electrostatic)
Nov 2, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #316 of 730
I have tried the RR1 at Aumkar's office a lot of times, but today I got to listen to it for a longer period of time. He also had the HD 800 and Stax L300 for comparison.
About the RR1 - When you listen to it for the first time, first thing you notice is how impactful the bass is. It is quite pacey and detailed yet does not sacrifice impact. It is musical and has a great body to it. The bass is really well done. It is clearly the highlight of this headphone.
The mids are very transparent and detailed. They are slightly forward and not harsh at all. RR1 is a musical headphone, its mids don't fail to enchant you either.
The treble while being very detailed is non fatiguing for an estat. I mostly listen to dark headphones( HD 650). Estat's treble was a bit bright to my ears, but I got used to it pretty soon. The treble is refined with no sign of harshness.
The only downside I found was the soundstage. It will not appeal to soundstage lovers. The soundstage was sacrificed for the musicality which is a fair trade off for some people.
Comparison against the L300-
RR1 sounds better to my ears. After listening to the RR1, I found the L300's treble slightly harsh. It lacked the RR1's bass impact and body too.
The mids were nothing special. RR1 was more musical and refined sounding while being very detailed to my ears. Between these 2, I would pick the RR1.
Comparison against the HD 800.-
HD 800 has a really nice soundstage. I liked the airiness and detailing. The imaging was great too, but that's it. The overall sound of the HD 800 was bright and harsh to me. It's upper mids and lower treble are really harsh. Harsher than the L300 too. I would again prefer the musical RR1 for my taste.

About Aumkar - He is a nice and friendly person. He works really hard and is very passionate about audio. I have known him for many years. He is trustworthy and reliable. His RR1 turned out to be a really good first product. I have faith in him that his future products will be great too.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2019 at 8:56 PM Post #318 of 730
I'm having a hard time putting these headphones into a category. They are just really enjoyable to listen to. Great all around phones.

Nov 5, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #319 of 730
As many have said it has very good bass, and not just for an electrostat. The speed is very good. While the soundstage isn't huge it is very realistic. And the highs are detailed but never sibilant.

Nov 5, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #320 of 730
Im curious @MrTechAgent, would a non-pro SRD-7 or a Koss E-9 be adequate to power the RR1?.
(congrat's on a very well received product BTW, seems like folk love it!)
Apologies for the self quote, but can anyone answer my query re' powering the RR1 from an 'non pro' energiser?
I suspect the answer will be no, but it would be good to know for sure.
Many thanks!

Nov 5, 2019 at 9:48 PM Post #321 of 730
I doubt the non-pro would do it. I believe my manual says 550-600 volts. My Stax SRM353X hits about 12 o'clock to get loud.

Nov 9, 2019 at 10:40 AM Post #324 of 730
Just received my pair yesterday of RR1s.
I love them !!!
Extremely detailed without being too much, and mid range and bass are nearly perfect for E-stats.
I have owned many of the top cans and these are tied with my favorites so far. Next up, want to compare these to 007Mk2 as I have never heard those Stax.

My fav cans that I have owned in order:
1) Tie - Utopia, Empyrean, RR1
All great, but obviously different, RR1 much lower price !!
2) L300 limited
3) Ayra
4) Elex
5) Clear
6) LCDX

Highly recommend these headphones and grab a Stax 353x and a good dac.
Hard pressed to beat that combo for half the cost, only get a different flavor with other flagship set ups.
Seriously, these are that good.

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2019 at 1:51 PM Post #325 of 730
I am running mine off a Stax 353x and a Schiit Yggdrasil. Sound fantastic. For $500 or even $650 for the deluxe set they are a no hesitation buy.

Nov 9, 2019 at 4:45 PM Post #327 of 730
I heard the RR1 on a Stax SRM310 a few weeks ago and it sounded really nice. I still preferred my SRM353X though.

Nov 10, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #328 of 730
Yeah, can't afford a 353X therefore was thinking of getting either a D6 or a 310 since I saw both going for cheap. But I was wondering whether there was any difference between the two amps, especially because if I am not wrong the D6 is non pro bias.

Nov 10, 2019 at 8:22 AM Post #330 of 730
2 1/2 meter cable instead of 1 1/2 as well as a nice wooden display box with acrylic cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back