Kaldas Research RR 1 Conquest ($500 Electrostatic)
Oct 23, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #286 of 730
Be sure to check voltages on the SRD-7 PRO rear, some can be used universally and I think some are 100V ( Japan ) only.

Oct 23, 2019 at 10:14 PM Post #287 of 730
I loved the south of France, spent some time in Aix en Provence and the surrounding region. In fact, my profile picture was taken in Marseilles in 2017. Gorgeous part of the world to be sure. I would very much enjoy trying this headphone, would it be possible to drive them using the speaker output of my NAD M3? I have never even considered this headphone variant as I do not want to get caught up in the entry level amplification trap, and I certainly don't want to be spending $1000 on a dedicated amp. Just curious. May I also salute absolutely everything about this project. From your dedication to pure quality, transparency right down to the extremely cordial and professional manner in which you have communicated with the community. It is a pleasure to watch those who actually understand that business and communications are a social art and clearly your family history has allowed you to develop these competencies. Sadly I have seen people who have the technical skills, money to back them, but who lack basic social decorum and how they engage with people in public is literally cringe worthy.

I just got my RR1 in today and haven't tried them yet (just got home from work and need to assemble them) but I run my E-stats off a NAD C275BEE with the Mjolnir Audio SRD-7 (totally reworked STAX unit, only keeps the transformers and socket from the SRD-7). It's better than any STAX solid state driver - much better low end with a fuller & punchier sound. RME ADI-2 DAC is controlling it and has some slight EQ for helping solidify the low end. Very happy with how my NAD C275BEE powers my STAX, have preferred it over a Carbon CC I heard.

Oct 24, 2019 at 12:21 AM Post #288 of 730
Currently letting it play music for a bit before I give it a real listen...

i-pQGB9cH.jpg

Oct 24, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #289 of 730
Well, they definitely are the most solid sounding bass I've heard from an electrostat. But the squeal I'm getting sometimes from both cups is kind of bumming me out right now. Left connector is looser than right and has the louder, more obvious squeal, but the right squeal is higher pitched and a little more disturbing to me when it happens.

Oct 24, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #290 of 730
Well, they definitely are the most solid sounding bass I've heard from an electrostat. But the squeal I'm getting sometimes from both cups is kind of bumming me out right now. Left connector is looser than right and has the louder, more obvious squeal, but the right squeal is higher pitched and a little more disturbing to me when it happens.

Well, that's no good.

Looks like something fun happened in transit. If it's caused by the connectors as you mentioned in the Mail then it may not be driver related.

Nevertheless, new unit should be on your way soon.

Oct 24, 2019 at 4:17 AM Post #292 of 730
Well, that's no good.

Looks like something fun happened in transit. If it's caused by the connectors as you mentioned in the Mail then it may not be driver related.

Nevertheless, new unit should be on your way soon.

I don't think its drivers, more likely the cable/connection interface. Left connection has more play than right which was the first thing I noticed plugging it in. Currently it seems to be behaving itself a little better and not squealing as much, but still squeals/whines from movement every once and a while. Also, when discharging, its not evenly sounding simultaneous L and R (like my L300 Limited STAX), only really hear the discharge clearly in the right cup, not noticing it in the left cup.

Oct 24, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #293 of 730
I don't think its drivers, more likely the cable/connection interface. Left connection has more play than right which was the first thing I noticed plugging it in. Currently it seems to be behaving itself a little better and not squealing as much, but still squeals/whines from movement every once and a while. Also, when discharging, its not evenly sounding simultaneous L and R (like my L300 Limited STAX), only really hear the discharge clearly in the right cup, not noticing it in the left cup.

Whatever it may be, it is not acceptable and doesn't meet our goal of QC.

I will have a word with our Engineer who assembled and measured your unit, the replacement will be assembled by me personally.

Discharging has nothing to do with squeal, it's almost always dust related.

Oct 24, 2019 at 5:35 AM Post #294 of 730
I just got my RR1 in today and haven't tried them yet (just got home from work and need to assemble them) but I run my E-stats off a NAD C275BEE with the Mjolnir Audio SRD-7 (totally reworked STAX unit, only keeps the transformers and socket from the SRD-7). It's better than any STAX solid state driver - much better low end with a fuller & punchier sound. RME ADI-2 DAC is controlling it and has some slight EQ for helping solidify the low end. Very happy with how my NAD C275BEE powers my STAX, have preferred it over a Carbon CC I heard.
Sweet feedback, thanks. I think I will be going this route once I complete my program. I haven't bought a dedicated headphone amp in years since I had Norne Audio build me a custom speaker tap cable. I have been driving headphones for years right from the speaker terminals of the NAD M3 and love the results. Cheers.

Oct 24, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #296 of 730
Whatever it may be, it is not acceptable and doesn't meet our goal of QC.

I will have a word with our Engineer who assembled and measured your unit, the replacement will be assembled by me personally.

Discharging has nothing to do with squeal, it's almost always dust related.
I wanted to add a note about the AMAZING customer support Aumkar @MrTechAgent has been providing to us, his early adopter customers:
I had a technical issue with my pair (my impressions can be found a few pages back on this thread), and Aumkar has shipped VERY QUICKLY a replacement.
The replaced ear cups work GREAT, and I am SUPER happy with the sound now!
I just love the sound signature, it is tailored to my taste (as I mentioned before, and so have others, closer to 007 than 009 in warmth, etc.). Even the bass is decent for an eStat :L3000:
(side note: I have not heard more bass from any eStat)

Oct 24, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #297 of 730
The connections between the cables and cups on mine are very secure. Absolutely no issues so far. I have been comparing them to my Abyss tc and while not in the same league they are absolutely fabulous for the price. More impressions to come.

Oct 24, 2019 at 9:27 PM Post #298 of 730
So for somebody who really enjoys the ability of bass to be impactful, not just adequate to good, but still values overall coherence and detail can RR1 satisfy both criteria? Additionally, where bass extension is concerned, is there meaningful sub bass (as much as is realistic to expect from a headphone). While a very articulate signature is very important to me, a lean signature just leaves me cold so curious what people who really enjoy bass think of the RR1 in that department. It sounds very promising, but I am disheartened a little with the comments about bass being good for an estat.

The implication seemingly that one should expect an estat to not produce impactful bass, rather clean and tight (aka lean). Thoughts?

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2019 at 9:54 PM Post #299 of 730
A Koss Porta Pro with Yaxi pads will trounce both a modded STAX L300 Limited and the RR1 in bass impact. My modded STAX L300 Limited seems more punchy and maybe slightly more impact than the RR1 while the RR1 has a more solid sound to it along with a more even, laid back presence. Koss Porta Pro with Yaxi pads is more solid sounding the the RR1 and punches like a STAX L300 Limited.

You have Klipsch HP-3... electrostats won't have the low end impact of that, but still have really good subbass. STAX SR-404 Limited probably have my most favorite subbass... intonation qualities and detail to it you just don't find in other headphones. Still has good impact though, more than most any planar magnetic I've heard.

Oct 25, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #300 of 730
A Koss Porta Pro with Yaxi pads will trounce both a modded STAX L300 Limited and the RR1 in bass impact. My modded STAX L300 Limited seems more punchy and maybe slightly more impact than the RR1 while the RR1 has a more solid sound to it along with a more even, laid back presence. Koss Porta Pro with Yaxi pads is more solid sounding the the RR1 and punches like a STAX L300 Limited.

You have Klipsch HP-3... electrostats won't have the low end impact of that, but still have really good subbass. STAX SR-404 Limited probably have my most favorite subbass... intonation qualities and detail to it you just don't find in other headphones. Still has good impact though, more than most any planar magnetic I've heard.
Thanks, I appreciate the input. I'm really, really interested in this headphone, I just have to be careful as I do really value bass that has weight and some impact, but I do not like one note, flabby bass either. I can sacrifice some impact if the rewards are really worth it, such as timbral accuracy, nuance, speed and transient response etc. Saying that I can't tolerate Grado like bass at all or AKG like presentations.

Yes I like the Klipsch HP-3 quite a bit, but I also very much enjoy the Edition X V2. With a very modest bass boost I really enjoyed the HD800S. So in short I don't need the bass of the Sony Z1R (which I owned and loved) but I don't want a Grado SR225i sound either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back