Kaldas Research RR 1 Conquest ($500 Electrostatic)
Feb 1, 2021 at 7:05 AM Post #631 of 730
LzZCJJQ.jpg

Hello everyone!!

I finally finished my review for the Kaldas Research RR1. I really pushed myself with this one in terms of time, but I'm happy with the outcome. I have been following this thread from the very beginning, but have mostly stayed in the shade (I didn't really comment or interact), so I am glad that I was able to create a review page (which should've been made already, especially with how much traction the thread has).

You can read it here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kaldas-research-rr1-conquest.24932/reviews#item-review-25235

2020 was no easy year for any of us. A lot of difficult things happened, we lost many people, including some from our community. I hope 2021 is a better year for all of us, so stay safe and take care of yourselves!

Let me know your feedback and ask any questions if you have them.

-Voja

Excellent review, immense sound field caught my eye.
Please, if u could take a shot of the cups, i don't understand the shallow cups you mentioned in your review.
Thanks...

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:23 AM Post #632 of 730
LzZCJJQ.jpg

Hello everyone!!

I finally finished my review for the Kaldas Research RR1. I really pushed myself with this one in terms of time, but I'm happy with the outcome. I have been following this thread from the very beginning, but have mostly stayed in the shade (I didn't really comment or interact), so I am glad that I was able to create a review page (which should've been made already, especially with how much traction the thread has).

You can read it here: https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/kaldas-research-rr1-conquest.24932/reviews#item-review-25235

2020 was no easy year for any of us. A lot of difficult things happened, we lost many people, including some from our community. I hope 2021 is a better year for all of us, so stay safe and take care of yourselves!

Let me know your feedback and ask any questions if you have them.

-Voja
Thanks taking so much time to review the headphone. They are a great bang for the buck, no doubt. But I would find your review so much more helpful if you were able to compare the sound to well known stax or even dynamic headphones. Also the amp you are using sounds really interesting, but I haven't found much in the way of specs, even on the manufacturers website.

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #633 of 730
Excellent review, immense sound field caught my eye.
Please, if u could take a shot of the cups, i don't understand the shallow cups you mentioned in your review.
Thanks...
I just double checked my whole review. You must've accidentally misread "ear-pads" as "ear-cups". The ear-cups are far from shallow, it's the ear-pads that are thin & shallow. People with large ears could have a problem with this, because the dust cover on the inner side sits really close to the ear.

But I would find your review so much more helpful if you were able to compare the sound to well known stax or even dynamic headphones.
I agree, but unfortunately I have no STAX headphones on me. I can say that I found many things similar to the iBasso SR2 (which is currently my favorite dynamic driver). But the low-frequency response is not on the same level as it is on the SR2 (which is a semi-open design).
Also the amp you are using sounds really interesting, but I haven't found much in the way of specs, even on the manufacturers website.
I agree with you. I am working close with them, so I am trying to help them out by giving all the necessary information (am neither affiliated nor paid by them). One thing you can expect in the near future is a review for the amp and the headphones from Soltanus Acoustics. The amp has so many things of quality that are not even mentioned on the website... and it will take quite some work to get everything together.

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #634 of 730
I agree with you. I am working close with them, so I am trying to help them out by giving all the necessary information (am neither affiliated nor paid by them). One thing you can expect in the near future is a review for the amp and the headphones from Soltanus Acoustics. The amp has so many things of quality that are not even mentioned on the website... and it will take quite some work to get everything together.
That sounds interesting. Especially cool would be if you could find out how much current, not just voltage swing they feed electrostatic headphones.

Feb 1, 2021 at 7:37 AM Post #635 of 730
That sounds interesting. Especially cool would be if you could find out how much current, not just voltage swing they feed electrostatic headphones.
I will soon get everything together, will open a dedicated thread where you can ask me questions. Since I am in personal touch with the owner, I will be able to directly ask him and answer all the questions.

The good news is that Soltanus Acoustics is what I will start working on as of now... but considering the amount of time my reviews take to make, it might be a month or two until that's out there.

Feb 1, 2021 at 8:04 AM Post #636 of 730
I just double checked my whole review. You must've accidentally misread "ear-pads" as "ear-cups". The ear-cups are far from shallow, it's the ear-pads that are thin & shallow. People with large ears could have a problem with this, because the dust cover on the inner side sits really close to the ear.

I hope my ears are not classified as Large, but 80 (H) x 58 (W) x 22 (depth) mm.
Will my ears be ok in these dimensions?
Thanks...

IMG_20210201_165500.jpgIMG_20210201_165412.jpgIMG_20210201_165235.jpg

Feb 1, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #637 of 730
I hope my ears are not classified as Large, but 80 (H) x 58 (W) x 22 (depth) mm.
Will my ears be ok in these dimensions?
Thanks...

IMG_20210201_165500.jpgIMG_20210201_165412.jpgIMG_20210201_165235.jpg
Just measured the ear-pads, they are about: 74 (H) x 65 (W) x 10 (D) mm
This being said, I do not know whether your ear touching the fabric would bother you. For me it really did depend on the day, sometime I would experience no fatigue, other times it would bother me for some time.

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #638 of 730
This being said, I do not know whether your ear touching the fabric would bother you. For me it really did depend on the day, sometime I would experience no fatigue, other times it would bother me for some time.
Depth is apprx 22mm on mine.
You should measure distance of driver dust mesh to top of the pad. That dimension was asked.

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:21 AM Post #639 of 730
I have owned RR1 for about half of year. I ended up selling the headphones. My problem was not so much about the thin ear pads. It didn't bother me that much if my ears were touching the dust cover. It was the clamping and not enough height adjustment of the headband which were the deal breakers. I was using the XL headband that came with RR1. I set the height adjustment to maximum and the cups could barely reaching the bottom of my ears. The top of my head was pressing against the headband and it created hot spots on my head.

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:27 AM Post #640 of 730

That Depth (@10mm) will present discomfort on the ears for long listening sessions.
That was why i upgraded the pads to yaxi, now its 22mm deep, nothing touches the ears from the cans.
I suppose the RR1 can be upgraded to thicker pads, @ least 22mm (7/8")

(Stock pads @ 12mm)
IMG_20210201_202034.jpg

Feb 1, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #641 of 730
That Depth (@10mm) will present discomfort on the ears for long listening sessions.
That was why i upgraded the pads to yaxi, now its 22mm deep, nothing touches the ears from the cans.
I suppose the RR1 can be upgraded to thicker pads, @ least 22mm (7/8")

(Stock pads @ 12mm)
IMG_20210201_202034.jpg
Hm. I'm not sure whether you will be able to upgrade the pads, they are 3M pads that are glued to the ear-cups' body. You would have to ask @MrTechAgent about that.
@TYATYA has a point. I only measure the thickness of the ear-pads, I did not measure the distance from the dust-fabric itself.

I have owned RR1 for about half of year. I ended up selling the headphones. My problem was not so much about the thin ear pads. It didn't bother me that much if my ears were touching the dust cover. It was the clamping and not enough height adjustment of the headband which were the deal breakers. I was using the XL headband that came with RR1. I set the height adjustment to maximum and the cups could barely reaching the bottom of my ears. The top of my head was pressing against the headband and it created hot spots on my head.
I guess that's understandable. You cannot create a product that will be perfect for everybody, it's very challenging. I found the normal headband too small, but it wasn't a hassle for me to just cut a bit on both sides and punch-in new holes. Perhaps @MrTechAgent can offer a larger headband (the metal one, not the leather one), this would make it a better fit for those with a larger head... but I'm not sure how convenient that is in terms of manufacturing.

I personally love the clamp force. The fit and seal wouldn't be as good if it weren't for the clamp force!

Feb 6, 2021 at 12:56 AM Post #645 of 730
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back