K702: OMG, etc...??
Nov 5, 2008 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

003

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Posts
4,688
Likes
14
My new K702s just showed up. And, like, what the heck? They.... have absolutely no bass and sound very sharp and overly tipped to the highs. This is coming from my K240 Sextett MP, which I never regarded as a particularly bass heavy headphone in the first place...

But this...??
deadhorse.gif


I am not really a believer in burn in. Is this what everybody experiences at first?

Any suggestions?
 
Nov 5, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 80

mypasswordis

Member of the Trade: Corsonus
Joined
Jan 23, 2006
Posts
1,800
Likes
22
I don't remember what the K701 sounds like, since I only listened for a few minutes at a meet, but I thought the MP Sextett had too much bass which was bloated, and not enough and poorly extended treble. It might just be preferences or maybe something psychological due to a different presentation of sound.
 
Nov 5, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 80

Andrew_WOT

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jan 18, 2004
Posts
5,874
Likes
116
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new K702s just showed up. And, like, what the heck? They.... have absolutely no bass and sound very sharp and overly tipped to the highs. This is coming from my K240 Sextett MP, which I never regarded as a particularly bass heavy headphone in the first place...

But this... What??
deadhorse.gif


I am not really a believer in burn in. Is this what everybody experiences at first?

Any suggestions?



They need a LOT of burn in, believe it or not, and why it's so hard to admit that mechanical parts need break in period.
 
Nov 5, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 80

Kraps

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Mar 8, 2008
Posts
179
Likes
10
K701 took ages to burn in. Literally hundreds of hours. And they improved all the time. Still although somewhat flat out of the box I wouldn't say they had no bass at all...
 
Nov 6, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 80

Acix

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 7, 2008
Posts
6,485
Likes
71
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new K702s just showed up. And, like, what the heck? They.... have absolutely no bass. which I never regarded as a particularly bass heavy headphone in the first place...I am not really a believer in burn in. Is this what everybody experiences at first?


From my experience, after 100-120 burn in. The turbo bass kick in, let's see if it's gonna change your belief system...

Tip, Try the burn in process with electronic music. full bass and a large sound spectrum. help to open the drivers all over the 3D...
 
Nov 6, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 80

Deadneddz

100+ Head-Fier
Joined
Jul 9, 2008
Posts
498
Likes
12
well, the k701s that i own definately was bass shy and a little silbilant and grainy at the top out of the box.

After about 400+ hours they have definately transformed into a VERY clean headphone with no grain or sibilance whatsoever.

As for bass performance, i never felt that the k701 had much slam to its bass. It definately has good tonality and goes quite deep after a good 300-400 hours.

I would definately keep them for much longer to see if they develop to your liking. After that if the bass doesnt do it for you, then you probably should look for a different phone. The treble however becomes very clean after burn in so no worries there.

hope that helps
 
Nov 6, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 80

scytheavatar

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Jul 15, 2008
Posts
2,001
Likes
18
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new K702s just showed up. And, like, what the heck? They.... have absolutely no bass and sound very sharp and overly tipped to the highs. This is coming from my K240 Sextett MP, which I never regarded as a particularly bass heavy headphone in the first place...

But this... What??
deadhorse.gif


I am not really a believer in burn in. Is this what everybody experiences at first?

Any suggestions?



What's your source? You are going to need a very warm source to get a decent amount of bass from them. But at the end of the day don't expect too much bass from them, the K701 is legendary for being bass anemic.
 
Nov 6, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 80

Uncle Erik

Uncle Exotic
Joined
Mar 18, 2006
Posts
22,597
Likes
502
I found the K-701 to be dependent on the amp. Very picky, as AKG headphones tend to be. I had 30-40 hours on mine but had a night and day difference when plugging them into a good amp.
 
Nov 6, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 80

theBigD

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Feb 8, 2007
Posts
588
Likes
11
the akg 701 will make you a big believer in burn in. mine took several hundred hours of burn in to sound right. I just plugged them in to music and stuck them in a drawer for a couple weeks checking on them peiodically. its really kinda fun to hear the sound changes that happen after a week or two.
 
Nov 6, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 80

003

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Posts
4,688
Likes
14
I will burn them in only because it's free (well, relatively speaking). I don't expect much from this, but I don't want my purchase to be in vein either.

They no longer sound as horrible as they did out of the box, but only because I have become accustomed to the sound and there are probably psychologic factors at work as well, due to me wanting them to sound good.
 
Nov 6, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #12 of 80

hawat

500+ Head-Fier
Joined
Apr 23, 2005
Posts
785
Likes
10
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the akg 701 will make you a big believer in burn in. mine took several hundred hours of burn in to sound right. I just plugged them in to music and stuck them in a drawer for a couple weeks checking on them peiodically. its really kinda fun to hear the sound changes that happen after a week or two.


I don't remember burning in adding any bass to mine though.
 
Nov 6, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #13 of 80

arteom

1000+ Head-Fier
Joined
Sep 5, 2006
Posts
1,334
Likes
119
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will burn them in only because it's free (well, relatively speaking). I don't expect much from this, but I don't want my purchase to be in vein either.

They no longer sound as horrible as they did out of the box, but only because I have become accustomed to the sound and there are probably psychologic factors at work as well, due to me wanting them to sound good.



Whatever you need to tell yourself
wink.gif
 
Nov 6, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 80

b0dhi

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 12, 2005
Posts
2,070
Likes
21
It's funny how burn-in, which is apparently a mechanical process, magically makes bass stronger for lean headphones and makes bass leaner for bassy headphones.
 
Nov 6, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 80

003

Headphoneus Supremus
Joined
Oct 4, 2005
Posts
4,688
Likes
14
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny how burn-in, which is apparently a mechanical process, magically makes bass stronger for lean headphones and makes bass leaner for bassy headphones.


The former is supposedly explained by the diaphragm becoming more flexible. But, in the latter case, taking into account the same effect, bass would become even more pronounced.

Like I said, it's free, so no harm in covering all bases.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Top