K702: OMG, etc...??
Nov 5, 2008 at 10:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 80

Headphoneus Supremus
My new K702s just showed up. And, like, what the heck? They.... have absolutely no bass and sound very sharp and overly tipped to the highs. This is coming from my K240 Sextett MP, which I never regarded as a particularly bass heavy headphone in the first place...

But this...??
deadhorse.gif

I am not really a believer in burn in. Is this what everybody experiences at first?

Any suggestions?

Nov 5, 2008 at 10:49 PM Post #2 of 80
I don't remember what the K701 sounds like, since I only listened for a few minutes at a meet, but I thought the MP Sextett had too much bass which was bloated, and not enough and poorly extended treble. It might just be preferences or maybe something psychological due to a different presentation of sound.

Nov 5, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #3 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by 003 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My new K702s just showed up. And, like, what the heck? They.... have absolutely no bass and sound very sharp and overly tipped to the highs. This is coming from my K240 Sextett MP, which I never regarded as a particularly bass heavy headphone in the first place...

But this... What??
deadhorse.gif

I am not really a believer in burn in. Is this what everybody experiences at first?

Any suggestions?

They need a LOT of burn in, believe it or not, and why it's so hard to admit that mechanical parts need break in period.

Nov 5, 2008 at 11:14 PM Post #4 of 80
K701 took ages to burn in. Literally hundreds of hours. And they improved all the time. Still although somewhat flat out of the box I wouldn't say they had no bass at all...

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:16 AM Post #5 of 80
Quote:

My new K702s just showed up. And, like, what the heck? They.... have absolutely no bass. which I never regarded as a particularly bass heavy headphone in the first place...I am not really a believer in burn in. Is this what everybody experiences at first?

From my experience, after 100-120 burn in. The turbo bass kick in, let's see if it's gonna change your belief system...

Tip, Try the burn in process with electronic music. full bass and a large sound spectrum. help to open the drivers all over the 3D...

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #6 of 80
well, the k701s that i own definately was bass shy and a little silbilant and grainy at the top out of the box.

After about 400+ hours they have definately transformed into a VERY clean headphone with no grain or sibilance whatsoever.

As for bass performance, i never felt that the k701 had much slam to its bass. It definately has good tonality and goes quite deep after a good 300-400 hours.

I would definately keep them for much longer to see if they develop to your liking. After that if the bass doesnt do it for you, then you probably should look for a different phone. The treble however becomes very clean after burn in so no worries there.

hope that helps

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:26 AM Post #7 of 80
Quote:

But this... What??
deadhorse.gif

Any suggestions?

What's your source? You are going to need a very warm source to get a decent amount of bass from them. But at the end of the day don't expect too much bass from them, the K701 is legendary for being bass anemic.

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:47 AM Post #8 of 80
I found the K-701 to be dependent on the amp. Very picky, as AKG headphones tend to be. I had 30-40 hours on mine but had a night and day difference when plugging them into a good amp.

Nov 6, 2008 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 80
the akg 701 will make you a big believer in burn in. mine took several hundred hours of burn in to sound right. I just plugged them in to music and stuck them in a drawer for a couple weeks checking on them peiodically. its really kinda fun to hear the sound changes that happen after a week or two.

Nov 6, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #11 of 80
I will burn them in only because it's free (well, relatively speaking). I don't expect much from this, but I don't want my purchase to be in vein either.

They no longer sound as horrible as they did out of the box, but only because I have become accustomed to the sound and there are probably psychologic factors at work as well, due to me wanting them to sound good.

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:30 AM Post #12 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by theBigD /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the akg 701 will make you a big believer in burn in. mine took several hundred hours of burn in to sound right. I just plugged them in to music and stuck them in a drawer for a couple weeks checking on them peiodically. its really kinda fun to hear the sound changes that happen after a week or two.

I don't remember burning in adding any bass to mine though.

Nov 6, 2008 at 2:45 AM Post #13 of 80
Quote:

I will burn them in only because it's free (well, relatively speaking). I don't expect much from this, but I don't want my purchase to be in vein either.

They no longer sound as horrible as they did out of the box, but only because I have become accustomed to the sound and there are probably psychologic factors at work as well, due to me wanting them to sound good.

Whatever you need to tell yourself
wink.gif

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:28 AM Post #14 of 80
It's funny how burn-in, which is apparently a mechanical process, magically makes bass stronger for lean headphones and makes bass leaner for bassy headphones.

Nov 6, 2008 at 3:32 AM Post #15 of 80
Quote:

Originally Posted by b0dhi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's funny how burn-in, which is apparently a mechanical process, magically makes bass stronger for lean headphones and makes bass leaner for bassy headphones.

The former is supposedly explained by the diaphragm becoming more flexible. But, in the latter case, taking into account the same effect, bass would become even more pronounced.

Like I said, it's free, so no harm in covering all bases.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back