K701s- Perfect?
Mar 14, 2006 at 5:07 PM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by busta
sum, are you using the Aria with your K701's?

Yep, I am using the Aria. I've also used it directly out of the DAC1 with great results. I'm going to try it with my ASL HB1 at some point, but I don't have high hopes there due to the weak bass output of that amp. I'd like to try it out with a Singlepower amp at some point.

Mar 14, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #17 of 40
I dont think there really is a "perfect headphone" any more than there is a perfect speaker. At least not in any price range that I have ever been given a chance to listen to... That said I think the K701s do everything quite well. I am a bit annoyed with the color, but aesthetics are less of a concern... Sonically, they fit the bill with everything I have thrown at them. I am perhaps a bit different than many people here in that I dont want to change equipment for every track, album, or even genre... I want one set of cans that does a good job across the board (and I listen to a fairly large spectrum). The K701/Aria combo will probably keep me happy for a few years. I am now more concerned in listening to music than finding better equipment.

FLAC -> Squeezebox3 -> Corda Aria -> AKG K701s

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:28 PM Post #18 of 40
With the perfect amp probably this is a perfect headphones !

Just my two cents...

Best!
Nicola

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #19 of 40
Great! Got to run out and buy THE perfect headphone, didn't know it was out. What was the name of THE perfect amp that goes with it again?!
biggrin.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:35 PM Post #20 of 40
I think the interesting thing here is the number of people that are saying this is not the perfect headphone (which I think I agree with) but no flaws outside of asethetics being pointed out. The real question here is what is perfect then? If no one can really name a flaw, wouldn't that be the perfect sense of cans?

Mar 14, 2006 at 7:46 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by overlunge
Great! Got to run out and buy THE perfect headphone, didn't know it was out. What was the name of THE perfect amp that goes with it again?!
biggrin.gif

The perfect amp (as for the perfect cans) is that one I have found for the best match with the 701. Between all the amp I have tried with this cans, the Leben cs600 is the best and will be the best untill I'll find another better for me. (I can tell this after a several tuberolling and found even the best tubes for the best amp for the best cans
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
)

All the best !
icon10.gif

Nicola

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:09 PM Post #23 of 40
No, I do not think there is anything that resembles a perfect set of headphones... Or speakers for that matter. The problem lies in the music itself, and the way things are recorded... Lets say you have a CD collection of 100 CDs, I would bet you couldnt find 10 of them that were mixed down using even close to the same equipment.. To hear the music as it was meant to be heard, you either need to hear it live and acoustic (since most venue sound systems are made to play loud, not clean), or on the same equipment it was mixed down on... Sure, if you are watching any of the recent Star Wars movies, A surround system comprised of B&W Nautilus 801s is "the perfect set of speakers" . But that probably wont help you for things mixed outside of Lucus studios. Lots of music is mixed with AKG or Senn cans... Lots of music is mixed on a wide range of studio monitors and amps...
So to answer your question, no, the K701 is not a perfect set of cans... But it is quite neutral, and has plenty of resolution. I would say it is a very good set of cans, and not particulary flawed anywhere outside of appearance. I would also bet there is more than one set of cans which can meet that description, yet have a different sound... I would say the K701 is sonically in the top 1% of cans made today.

Mar 14, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #24 of 40
With 150+ hours of burn-in so far, I find the 701s to be very good at all types of music. The tonal balanace is just right with plenty of air. I find myself not even listening to the rest of my cans lately. Maybe this will wear off when the honeymoon phase ends. I did the same with the HD650 and the MS2 when I first got them. The main different though is when listening to classical or jazz, I had to switch back to the Senns from the MS2. I don't feel the need to do this with the 701.

I can't say these headphones are the "best" since I've not listened to all of the headphones out there however, I feel its the best set of cans in my collection to date. If I had to change anything about the 701 would be the hardness of the foam. However, I'm getting used to them and comfort seems to be improving over time.

When the HD650's replacement comes out from Sennheiser, I will most likely post this same text with the 701 replaced with the latest Senn model number.
biggrin.gif

Having said that the journey continues.

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:07 PM Post #25 of 40
I joined Head-Fi many years ago and I have seen several new headphones releases in the past and boy let me tell ya, I have not seen one that has this overwhelming majority of people who like it after the new release as the 701's, even the 650 had more "mixed feelings" than this one.

p.s. headphones cost over $500 don't count.

Mar 14, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum
So I pose this question to everyone, what the heck are the faults of these things?

Not a fault but my preference but I think K701 is too soft and not dynamic enough for me. It is nearly sleep inducing
tongue.gif
kidding.

Mar 14, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by psychogentoo
With 150+ hours of burn-in so far, I find the 701s to be very good at all types of music. The tonal balanace is just right with plenty of air. I find myself not even listening to the rest of my cans lately. Maybe this will wear off when the honeymoon phase ends. I did the same with the HD650 and the MS2 when I first got them. The main different though is when listening to classical or jazz, I had to switch back to the Senns from the MS2. I don't feel the need to do this with the 701.

I can't say these headphones are the "best" since I've not listened to all of the headphones out there however, I feel its the best set of cans in my collection to date. If I had to change anything about the 701 would be the hardness of the foam. However, I'm getting used to them and comfort seems to be improving over time.

When the HD650's replacement comes out from Sennheiser, I will most likely post this same text with the 701 replaced with the latest Senn model number.
biggrin.gif

Having said that the journey continues.

If let aside sound qualities, which of them, HD-650 or K701, do you think are more involving for acoustic music?
Thank you.

Mar 15, 2006 at 7:40 AM Post #29 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by applebook
Compared to the K1000? What is as dynamic and as punchy?
k1000smile.gif

Grado PS1 !

Best!
Nicola

Users who are viewing this thread

Back