K701s- Perfect?
Mar 14, 2006 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

sum

100+ Head-Fier
Ok, so my new 701s have over 100 hours of burn-in on them and they're magnificent. The entire frequency spectrum is perfectly balanced. Bass response has increased considerable since I took them out of the box and is pretty close in volume to my 650s. So I pose this question to everyone, what the heck are the faults of these things? I can't find them, no sibilance,no harsh highs, even guitars almost sound Grado good. Of course there is the fact that I look like a tele-tubby wearing them and they leak some serious sound.

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:51 AM Post #2 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum
Ok, so my new 701s have over 100 hours of burn-in on them and they're magnificent. The entire frequency spectrum is perfectly balanced. Bass response has increased considerable since I took them out of the box and is pretty close in volume to my 650s. So I pose this question to everyone, what the heck are the faults of these things? I can't find them, no sibilance,no harsh highs, even guitars almost sound Grado good. Of course there is the fact that I look like a tele-tubby wearing them and they leak some serious sound.

It's usually best not to pose this sort of question until you're over the honeymoon phase with your headphones.

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #3 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio
It's usually best not to pose this sort of question until you're over the honeymoon phase with your headphones.

Haha, that's a good point. I don't think I'm in a honey moon phase though. I've gotten pretty objective with everything I listen to. The thing is, the only thing I wish were for slightly more bass output. Otherwise, everything just sounds like music, nothing more, nothing less.

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #4 of 40
Chances are, you'll find some sort of flaw once the "oh shizzle" phase ends. I think the comfort is such, damn thing won't stay on right cause you can't manually adjust the headband and keep it a certain length. And uh . . they're ipod white, I just don't like the color.

Oh yeah, the k701 also has grown a taste for jello pudding.

Mar 14, 2006 at 2:59 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Chances are, you'll find some sort of flaw once the "oh shizzle" phase ends. I think the comfort is such, damn thing won't stay on right cause you can't manually adjust the headband and keep it a certain length. And uh . . they're ipod white, I just don't like the color.

Oh yeah, the k701 also has grown a taste for jello pudding.

I find them quite comfortable, but I have a fairly big head, so I think that helps. I don't mind the color that much, but once again, know what you mean. Do you think there are any acoustic flaws though?

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:01 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum
I find them quite comfortable, but I have a fairly big head, so I think that helps. I don't mind the color that much, but once again, know what you mean. Do you think there are any acoustic flaws though?

I'm sure they'll be some acoustic flaws one way or another (even if it just comes down to preference for certain frequencies). I've only listened for a few hours, but I get the jist of the 701's sound. I tend not to listen too critically most the time, but sometimes an annoyance will jump out at me when chillin'. Yo.

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

I am also on honeymoon with my new A500
580smile.gif
But I have to divorce it soon. coz my A900LTD are on the way
wink.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 40
I've auditioned these cans briefly and didn't like the sound at all. It seems to refined and anlytical to me but then again it's all about preference. I use to be a sucker for instrument separation but i got over it. I can live with the look of this headphone but the design is just not quite right. The black elastic rubber bands that connects to the flexible head support doesnt look very sturdy. I'm afraid those things would snap any moment. The materials used looked cheap. But then again the K701 costs the same as the HD650 here in Australia hence my whinning about them. If they're half the price then I'll consider them. I'm getting the HD650 over these for the design issues alone and I preferred the HD650 during my audition.

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 40
Don't rely too much on brief auditions. You really need to live with a piece of equipment to know it. I do agree, initially the sound is somewhat cold, but once you adjust the musicality just shows up.

Mar 14, 2006 at 3:14 AM Post #10 of 40
Also, are you sure they were fully burned in? The first 50 hours on mine were horrible. They didn't hold a candle to my 650s. Now the tables are reversed. I am listening to them side by side and just love the 701s.

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

Shhhhhh! Let him think he has reached audio nirvana, it's his only chance of getting out of here safely!
580smile.gif

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #14 of 40
I feel about the same as you....to me they are best dynamic headphones that I've heard/owned so far. For the time being, I have no desire to keep looking until Senn or Beyer introduces new reference level cans.

However, note that I didn't say there are perfect. They are excellent all-rounders, they have no severe weakness in any one area as compared to the DT880 and the 650

Mar 14, 2006 at 4:48 AM Post #15 of 40
sum, are you using the Aria with your K701's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back