k701 owners
Apr 21, 2006 at 4:43 AM Post #2 of 23
Your source could be the issue.

I have this problem listening to my DT880s unamped through my mp3 player. With my soundcard, it becomes a lot better, but not quite at my expectation level yet. I'm hoping that a dedicated DAC will alleviate more of this problem for me in the future.

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #3 of 23
I don't hear that problem at all, and mine isn't nearly that burnt-in.

Apr 21, 2006 at 6:24 AM Post #4 of 23
I don't have the sibilance problem either. What source are you using with your Aria/K701 rig?

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:02 PM Post #5 of 23
Using Foobar setup with FLAC files on wavout going through the Aria DAC/Amp. I'll have the chance to try a high end dedicated source soon as my Dad has plenty of them. I might make the decision to change based on what I hear. Haven't plugged it into the Rio Karma to see if it is worse/better. They are just very sharp s sounds that distract from the music. Pretty much everything else is awesome.

Apr 21, 2006 at 2:24 PM Post #6 of 23
I wonder how many others have this problem with the s 'ss (its called sibilance)

I have not had this problem and you have a great amp/dac
eek.gif

Apr 21, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #8 of 23
"I have this problem listening to my DT880s unamped through my mp3 player. With my soundcard,"

Stated quite bluntly:
This is the problem when you drive quality headphones with crappy source components. Or in other words, Garbage in garbage out.

- augustwest

Apr 21, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #9 of 23
There was a little sibilance out of the box but it pretty much disappeared after 150 hrs. I have noticed that you can make the 701s sound a bit darker if you move the earcups towards the back of your head.

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #11 of 23
Dude, I suggest you look elsewhere in your search for the sources of sibilance. It's certainly the source
very_evil_smiley.gif

Actually, I just read that a few other 701 owners hear sibilance, to the point that it's problematic, so you may not be alone in your observations. I can't say that I've heard anything of the sort after the first 25-35 hours of burn in. I'm now at a little less than 350 hrs, using a Woo3 and zhaolu...

Try swapping another source in and let us know!

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:12 PM Post #12 of 23
I've never heard any sibilance with my k701 either

Apr 21, 2006 at 4:23 PM Post #13 of 23
While the source might certainly have its own issues, I do believe there is a bit of a bump in that particular region that might accentuate sibilance inherent in the recording. I only notice it on closely miked female voices, but I notice it more with the K701 than I do with the other phones. That being said, I notice no sibilance 98% of the time, just when the recording has sibilance. I only hear sibilance when it is in the recording whether it is through my 14k CD Player or my 8k vinyl set up so I don't think it is always a matter of bad source, sometimes it is bright or badly recorded music that I believe might be accentuated more through these headphones that some of the others I have tried.

Apr 21, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by vpivinylspinner
While the source might certainly have its own issues, I do believe there is a bit of a bump in that particular region that might accentuate sibilance inherent in the recording. I only notice it on closely miked female voices, but I notice it more with the K701 than I do with the other phones. That being said, I notice no sibilance 98% of the time, just when the recording has sibilance. I only hear sibilance when it is in the recording whether it is through my 14k CD Player or my 8k vinyl set up so I don't think it is always a matter of bad source, sometimes it is bright or badly recorded music that I believe might be accentuated more through these headphones that some of the others I have tried.

This is probably a more accurate description. The sibilance is found in the recordings themselves and the 701's attention to vocals especially picks it up. However, the vocal presentation can also be quite good depending on the recording quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back