K701 Owners: have you heard the MDR SA-5000?
Feb 5, 2011 at 8:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

redrich2000

Headphoneus Supremus
Been trying out a few borrowed phones over the last few days alongside my Sony SA5000, inlcuding a K702. My impression is that the K702 has the same sound sig generally but the Sony has better detail, clarity, air and speed across the spectrum. Given they are the same price and the K70x seem to be the most popular phones here (more have the 701/2 than HD-650s), I'm just wondering whether the Sony's are just not well known anymore or whether there is something in the AKG that appeals to people?

Feb 6, 2011 at 8:44 AM Post #2 of 10
I think Sony is a lot more expensive compared to the AKG.

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #4 of 10
Generally headfi members go for the less mainstream more exclusive brand. Exclusivity seems to be important here as members want to be unique or seem that way. However some exceptions apply, such as when Sony releases uber headphones such as the Qualia or R10 which are limited production headphones costing into the $1000+ range.

Feb 6, 2011 at 11:18 AM Post #5 of 10
The k70X are a LOT more well known...and also cheaper. A lot of it is just name recognition and reputation I think. If you google them both you'll find WAY more dealers carrying the akg's. I'm sure sony would love to have the brand name reputation that AKG has....but sony is probably more known for their lower priced consumer gear...not pro gear.

Feb 6, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #6 of 10
I kept the SA5000 and returned the K702 if that tells you anything.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:
Been trying out a few borrowed phones over the last few days alongside my Sony SA5000, inlcuding a K702. My impression is that the K702 has the same sound sig generally but the Sony has better detail, clarity, air and speed across the spectrum. Given they are the same price and the K70x seem to be the most popular phones here (more have the 701/2 than HD-650s), I'm just wondering whether the Sony's are just not well known anymore or whether there is something in the AKG that appeals to people?

I currently own both and I agree that the Sony has better detail, clarity, air, and speed.  However, the K702 has much better bass extension.  The SA5000 has a 100hz bump that gives the perception of deeper bass, but it drops off pretty sharply after that.  The bass light presentation aids in producing all the positive attributes you mentioned, but also makes the Sonys seem a bit colder and much brighter (too bright for some).  The K702 is often criticized for its weak bass, especially for bass drive genres; the SA5000 would suit those genres even less.  The SA5000 is also a fair bit more expensive than the K701/2, especially in some regions.  The cable on the SA5000 is also terribly microphonic, something I'll probably have to resort to a recable to fix.  

That said, the SA5000 is much easier to drive, only taking about half the movement on my HDP's volume pot to reach equal decibels.  If I had to settle for one can as an all-rounder, it definitely wouldn't be the SA5000, but the K702 would still remain a front-runner.

Feb 6, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #9 of 10
I tried a pair out but they came across as more sterile and trebley than the K701. Don't get me wrong they are technically proficient and insanely quick but they just weren't my cup of tea.

Feb 6, 2011 at 7:57 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Quote:

I currently own both and I agree that the Sony has better detail, clarity, air, and speed.  However, the K702 has much better bass extension.  The SA5000 has a 100hz bump that gives the perception of deeper bass, but it drops off pretty sharply after that.  The bass light presentation aids in producing all the positive attributes you mentioned, but also makes the Sonys seem a bit colder and much brighter (too bright for some).  The K702 is often criticized for its weak bass, especially for bass drive genres; the SA5000 would suit those genres even less.  The SA5000 is also a fair bit more expensive than the K701/2, especially in some regions.  The cable on the SA5000 is also terribly microphonic, something I'll probably have to resort to a recable to fix.  

That said, the SA5000 is much easier to drive, only taking about half the movement on my HDP's volume pot to reach equal decibels.  If I had to settle for one can as an all-rounder, it definitely wouldn't be the SA5000, but the K702 would still remain a front-runner.

Interesting thoughts. My impression was the bass on the Sony's actually went deeper and with more detail than the AKGs. I think my impression of what you are describing is that the speed of the Sony's gives the impression of a thinner mid-range and upper bass. But I did think the AKGs were a bit smoother which I suspected might appeal to people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back