K701 or HD650?
May 3, 2006 at 2:40 AM Post #16 of 98
A recable doesn't hurt the k701.
wink.gif
To me it brings the sound closer to the hd650s without the loss of detail. They don't seem to sound as airy and distant as they did before. Burn in really helps the k701s a lot because trust me when you first get them you might be disappointed.
biggrin.gif

hawtk701.jpg

Still love my hd650s though. I don't see how people can just ditch them so easily. The k701s are great but the hd650s don't deserve to be thrown out.

May 3, 2006 at 2:57 AM Post #17 of 98
wow...thanks for all of the great info guys. jl123, could you give me more details on the cable in that pic? I think that I will probably end up getting both eventually, BUT I have to space out my purchases to keep my girlfriend from having a heart attack
tongue.gif
. It seems from the opinions here that the K701 would be a great choice. Perhaps when I build or obtain a new amp I'll sneak in some 650s....

Coldamp

May 3, 2006 at 3:11 AM Post #18 of 98
I have both, and prefer the 650 so far. It is really a matter of personal taste and what kind of music you listen to (quite possibly you might prefer one for certain genres, and the other for different genres).

In terms of comfort, it's a wash, the elliptical HD650 earmuffs fit around my ears better, but the headband on the K701 is more comfortable.

It is very difficult to compare headphones as you have to match levels to get a reliable evaluation, and that is easier said than done, even with an A/B switch. My recommendation would be for you to wait for a local meet and try them out.

May 3, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #19 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldamp
jl123, could you give me more details on the cable in that pic?

It's cardas 4x24 headphone cable with a cardas GRQ S 1/4" plug. Supplies ran $45 from drew at moon-audio without shipping for a 5 foot cable(don't need it too long). Just got around to doing it a few days ago. Now I want to upgrade my 650 cable but I'm not paying 150 for it, at least not anymore.

May 4, 2006 at 1:04 AM Post #20 of 98
I also have both HD650 and K701. To me HD650 with Equinox cable sounds superior to K701. I have an impression that K701 are a bit better balanced and neutral (although I would love a bit more lower bass). They also have much wider soundstage and more 'air'. However HD650 (with the Equinox) sound more natural - maybe due to the material of the diaphragms???

While I enjoy the sound of both headphones, HD650 are the ones that give me the feeling of being "there" with the performer(s). K701 sound great and neutral but there is a hint of artificiality in their sound (and it has nothing to do with their better high freq extension). It just seem like K701 are not as "transparent" (I don't know how to describe this difference better) as HD650. But the difference is really small...

I think K701 sound better than HD600 and almost on par with HD650 with stock cable. However HD650 with Equinox simply sound better - to me.

May 4, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #21 of 98
I have heard both the hd650 and the k701 and own the hd595. Both sounded great to me - but I preferred the greater intimacy I felt the hd650 had. Its precisely that extra airiness in the k701 that put them a slight second to the 650 for me. Btw, I listen to jazz and blues mainly, and intimacy and tonal richness are of paramount importance to me.

May 4, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #22 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbalcer
I also have both HD650 and K701. To me HD650 with Equinox cable sounds superior to K701. I have an impression that K701 are a bit better balanced and neutral (although I would love a bit more lower bass). They also have much wider soundstage and more 'air'. However HD650 (with the Equinox) sound more natural - maybe due to the material of the diaphragms???

While I enjoy the sound of both headphones, HD650 are the ones that give me the feeling of being "there" with the performer(s). K701 sound great and neutral but there is a hint of artificiality in their sound (and it has nothing to do with their better high freq extension). It just seem like K701 are not as "transparent" (I don't know how to describe this difference better) as HD650. But the difference is really small...

I think K701 sound better than HD600 and almost on par with HD650 with stock cable. However HD650 with Equinox simply sound better - to me.

Would you be able to tell me what amp you are using with your 650s?

Thanks,
Coldamp

May 5, 2006 at 2:02 AM Post #24 of 98
I heard plenty of the K701's at the national meet for me to un-recommend them. I found the bass levels completely disproportionate to the highs. Bass-shy doesn't begin to describe these. The detail was admittedly amazing, but really, I found them harsh and even after a fresh haircut the day before, I was saying "where's the bass?" The HD650's had a more pleasant detail, and a certainly more commanding low end. I'd recommend them.

Oh, but if you really want to rock, there's a Grado with your name on it.
wink.gif

May 5, 2006 at 7:48 AM Post #25 of 98
Haven't heard the 650's with the desktop amp, so it wouldn't be fair to comment there.
I have spent many blissful hours listening to my 600's with the desktop. A very nice combo IMO.
Up until about the 350 hour mark, I prefered the 600's over the 701's.
The 701's were to harsh to my ears, a little dry, and where the he-- was the bass?
Somewhere between the 400 and 450 hour span, someone invited the bass players to the concert. And what excellent musicians they are. Deep, rich and extended, but not bloated. I'm not a bass-head, but I do enjoy a true natural bass. If it's there in the music, the 701's will pleasantly let you know.
With a little under 600 hours on the 701's, they do everything a little better than the 600's. Some things they do a lot better...Soundstage is 2 to 3 times. Imaging is much better. Handles full rock the 600's can't touch. Detail, detail and detail. And not a harsh note out of them now.
If you have the patience to put 4 or 5 hundred hours of burn-in on the 701's, I would highly recommend them.
The desktop pushes them quite nicely.
I love my Senns, but have to put the 701's in a higher tax bracket.YMMV.
Best,
Jim

May 5, 2006 at 8:03 AM Post #26 of 98
K701 or HD650? Both!!!

If you think the K701s or bass shy, maybe your music needs some more bass?
tongue.gif

May 5, 2006 at 8:10 AM Post #27 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by jl123

hawtk701.jpg

Still love my hd650s though. I don't see how people can just ditch them so easily. The k701s are great but the hd650s don't deserve to be thrown out.

Hey I love your K701!!!! And the message next to them
wink.gif

May 5, 2006 at 8:49 AM Post #28 of 98
I have both now.

IMHO, they have a very similar sound balance. but the perspective of the sound is very different. More body and "nearness" with the HD650, more air and distant the K701. Truly wonderful headphones, both.

It's really a matter of taste, and... I have to keep them both...

Andrew

May 5, 2006 at 9:44 AM Post #29 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coldamp
Hi,

I've been lurking for a while, and thought that I would finally post! I discovered the forum a couple of months ago, and that lead to me purchasing a Headroom Desktop Amp w/Desktop DAC and the 2006 Desktop Electronics Module, along with some HD595s. From the title of this thread, I guess you can figure out what is going on
biggrin.gif
. I'm looking to pickup another set of cans to add to my admittedly small and brand new collection. I am torn between the HD650 and the K701, which I have heard both sound pretty decent on this setup. I realize that I have room to grow with the HD650s, in that they can be recabled as well as driven by a different amp. I'm sure that recabling the K701s would provide some benefit too! My question is...which headphone? I find that the characteristics of the Headroom amp (w/crossfeed) combined with the HD595 works very well, providing some warmth to the oh so detailed senns. I can't really say that I dislike anything about the 595s, the only thing that I could ask for would be a bit more bass presence. I can hardly fault the cans for this and would recommend them to any one who wants a good all around headphone (IMO). I guess I would like to try a set of cans with a bit more width in soundstage. What are people's experiences with the K701 vs. the stock HD650 on headroom amps? I have searched and looked though various threads, I am just wondering what the opinion of those cans is with this particular amp.

Thanks in advance, and hello to everyone at headfi!

Coldamp

Hi

No question, if you're looking for a fuller sound than the HD595 (and with the added benefit of much more articulation and refinement, and improved extension, soundstage and precision of timbre), then you seriously need an HD650 (I went the same way)
smily_headphones1.gif

May 5, 2006 at 9:47 AM Post #30 of 98
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockofeller
Btw, I listen to jazz and blues mainly, and intimacy and tonal richness are of paramount importance to me.

Somewhat different music (mostly acoustic, singer-songwriter music), yet exact same sentiments as you stated here
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back