k701 or DT880
Apr 27, 2007 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

XENOPHOS

100+ Head-Fier
I just got some dt880's and like them, but I just don't think that theyed be the best for my music choice. I listen to rock, alternative, electronica, and acoustical. not much classical but I want to start liking it soon. how is the comfort with them anyways. the beyers are really comfy, but how about the k701. (mental battle....return dt880's or keep them...>< )
isn't the k701 a harder phone to drive? so i guess it isn't as portable as the 880 but is the sound better for my genres? and what type of amp/dac would be a good choice for them.

curse you head-fi

Apr 27, 2007 at 12:53 AM Post #2 of 28
These are my two favorite headphones, but you'll find that they're also extremely similar in some ways. Specifically, their sound is accurate (some might say analytical). For me, the main difference between the phones is that the K701 has better extension on the highs, and a more "colorful" sound (by which I don't mean "colored"). It's a great "all-around" headphone, but excels at classical and pop.

Perhaps you could elaborate on what kind of music you prefer. In the meantime, you might want to do a search on this popular subject.

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #3 of 28
both are awesome headphones, and you won't be disappointed if you choose either one. the only cons i can think of for both is that the k701s can seem bland at times; the dt880s can be fatiguing with it's more prominent sibilance. time to break out the dartboard...

or use the search function. it's your choice =)

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:43 AM Post #4 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by XENOPHOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not much classical but I want to start liking it soon.

I love how you phrased that. Don't worry, no one is forcing you to LIKE classical!

I think the K701 is great all-around, although the few moments I spent listening to the DT-880 made me think I'd prefer it *for classical* only. And that was only because it was more comfy but sounded nearly the same.

--Chris

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 28
I chose the HD650's over the K701 and DT880's. Cant say much for K701,because it needs a really good amp to do anything. I had to search around for an amp to make it sound decent. But I didnt get a chance to test it out properly.

Between the 880 and 650 I would any day pick the 650 simply because it has such a beautiful warmth and fullness to the sound. That doesnt make its impact any slow either. Has terrific bass extension and definition. Doesnt need a very high end amp to sound good, although it will sound even better with one.

I dont have to tell you how the 880's sound, you have them. But IMP the 880 one the other hand has better treble definition. Female vocals sounded great on the 880's, and 650 didnt quite hit that sweet spot for female vox.

But male vox sound awesome on the 650 and the kick drums and percussions sound way better.

In the end you really need to listen to either with your current setup to compare. If you are planning on getting an amp as well you can look at the tube options.

Apr 27, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #6 of 28
I have the 701s, have been listening to them for about 10 months and really like them.

Sometimes when the kids have taken over my basement I use them with my wife's Ipod, it seems to drive them fine. With that being said I don't listen at loud levels, i.e. if someone comes in the room to talk with me I can still hear and understand them and that's with the volume set at about the 1/2 way mark on the the Ipod.

Apr 27, 2007 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by hempcamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love how you phrased that. Don't worry, no one is forcing you to LIKE classical!
--Chris

well, its just that I havn't had the chance to listen to much classical but it just seems like and awesome genre. (so many types and so on)
As of now all I have is an ipod and a crap sound card to run the headphones but within the month I will have a decent amp and source.
well, as for music I like stuff like, keane, deathcab for cutie, my chemical romance, the shins. just mainly punk, rock and alternative stuff.
I think I would like the 650 but I really liked the clarity of the dt880. although the 880 could be bright and just slightly painful sometimes. well its a very slight painful but there non-theless. any other opinions or comments would be awesome.

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #8 of 28
If you're having second thoughts about using the DT880's and electronica/rock (which is not surprising to me) the K701 is probably not a safe move for you. I recently bought [and quickly sold] a pair DT880s and my second pair of K701s, concluding that they're just not made for electronic music or rock. To me the 701s just sounded like an improved DT880. If you can, try auditioning the Sony SA5K or HD650 (very different phones, but both very satisfying in their own way). They both need amps, but then the other two phones do too...

Drew

Quote:

I just got some dt880's and like them, but I just don't think that theyed be the best for my music choice. I listen to rock, alternative, electronica, and acoustical. not much classical but I want to start liking it soon. how is the comfort with them anyways. the beyers are really comfy, but how about the k701. (mental battle....return dt880's or keep them...>< )
isn't the k701 a harder phone to drive? so i guess it isn't as portable as the 880 but is the sound better for my genres? and what type of amp/dac would be a good choice for them.

curse you head-fi

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:21 AM Post #9 of 28
Quote:

I listen to rock, alternative, electronica, and acoustical. not much classical but I want to start liking it soon.
curse you head-fi

Sounds like you need some Grado's. Unfortunately, the good Grado's cost more, i.e. RS1/2, HP1000, PS1, etc.

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:35 AM Post #10 of 28
Ive owned both..The akg k701 sounds a bit thin and sterile.. I think you should just invest in a tube amp it will make your dt880s sound ALOT better trust me without an amp these kind of headphones will all sound bad.

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #11 of 28
Having owned, and logged hundreds of hours, on both the K701 and DT880 (2003), I came to strongly prefer the DT880. . . . with a good, tubed amp, too.

That said, I eventually found my way to the Ultrasone Proline 2500. They bring together all the finest elements of U.S., Japanese and European headphone sound, together with a great, detailed and balanced head space. Extended highs, clear, open mids and prodigious, articulate BASS for you rock listeners. Neutral, analytical AND musical, the Ultrasone do what few or no other cans can.

Note, however, that they are very true to the quality of your sources (the most revealing headphone I've heard to date), and that includes recordings, upstream cables, components and power conditioners. If you're ready for them, the 2500 will take you for one of the best head rides available. I just upgraded my ICs to MAC Palladium and my PCs to MAC SPC/HC cables. Wow! Can the 2500 ever sing!

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:19 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by spinali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's a great "all-around" headphone, but excels at classical and pop.

alot of ppl seem to say that for the k701.

is the 880 good for pop and RnB?

Apr 27, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #13 of 28
i find the K701 the more fun of the two, though it imposes more of its own sound signature letting less of the sound of the amp through

the DT880 on the other hand just really changes depending on the source and amp

both however require good amplification to sound their best

as others suggested tubes + DT880 = great

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #14 of 28
personally i prefer the k701, but if you like the 880 and given your musical preferences i'd think you'd like the 990s more than the 880s. it's not a radically different phone than the 880 but it does have a somewhat fuller bottom end which should work nicely for you. of course there's always the darth beyers...

Apr 27, 2007 at 10:39 AM Post #15 of 28
well I listen to alot of acoustical too and vocals too, which is one of the reasons I got the 880's. I have like 2 more days to make up my mind whether to return them or not so I have to decide fast. If I got the K701 it would cost around $60 more and then I would still have to get an amp. and I think that the 880's would be more portable too, well at least more than the k701's. any more thoughts would be good too.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back