K701 left driver broken
Mar 4, 2011 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Rayz

100+ Head-Fier
okay... bad luck. right driver of my K701 just stop worked.
I don't know how it's happening, for the price of those phones they should be almost impossible to break.
I really saved them good, so I don't know how it's happening.

Fortunately I still have warranty.
jusy before I send them... how this is happen? missing connect between cables? spoiled speaker?
how it can be fix and most importently- How can I avoid this happen again? (well my warranty is sure limited...)

EDIT- okay... I read this problem just happened to much of people.
I won't lie, I'm in a little panic. what if it will happen again when my warranty will be gone?
AKG really disspointed me now...

Mar 5, 2011 at 2:15 AM Post #2 of 5
It's probably a cable issue. Most likely an internal solder joint went bad.

Don't worry about the warranty. Opening them up and retouching the solder joint is a simple procedure. You can do it yourself or someone here can fix them for you.

Ask in the DIY Forum for help doing this yourself or finding someone to do it for you.

Mar 6, 2011 at 3:00 AM Post #3 of 5
Thank you,
I will go for it soon, also maybe it's chance for recable.
I just hope it's not the driver who ****ed up... if it is, how much will it cost to me to get new one? and how do I replace it?

Mar 6, 2011 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 5
Happened to my K702 as well.  As I recall, the yellow wire soldered to one of the terminals broke - think it was going to the left driver.  The piece of wire that AKG used at the factory was just a little too short for the job and broke from fatigue after using the headphones for a while.  I replaced it with a slightly longer wire.  If it is a bad solder joint/broken wire (much more likely than a bad driver), it should be fairly obvious when you look inside and a quick repair.  You need a sharp two-pronged tool to open up the earpiece (rotates a few degrees counterclockwise IIRC to open).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back