K701 Headphone rattle??
Aug 26, 2010 at 9:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

KyungMin

100+ Head-Fier
So I got my AKG K701 and noticed a slight rattle in them at certain frequency and was wondering if that's normal because they arent burned in yet also they aren't on an amp yet just from my HT reciever or from my PC... these are brand new I got them yesterday! thanks in advance!

Aug 27, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #4 of 10
Hey... no I don't think it's static; I mean it could but my left driver rattled whenever there was deep bass... and I could live with it at first but it really distracted me from the music.

Luckily I fixed it without any problems; but I would say that to first make sure the warranty is good so you can send it back if you can't get it, but I took the pads off and everything and exposed the drivers. Then I went and took the cap from a ball point pen (or any blunt, small object could do, eraser or w/e) and lightly pushed on the COPPER ring of the drivers, the ring that separates the two. 

I pushed the drivers in a bit but not too much. I gave it maybe.... 3lbs of pressure? After that I tried and it's been working perfectly since. It was just some random, risky thought but it payed off. 

Aug 27, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #5 of 10
It may be a hair or so that got stuck in the driver. If you take of the pads, you can check for it and remove it (by blowing). If it is persistent (and I don't hope it is), it might be a tear in the driver, especially if you keep hearing it whenever the bass gets louder. I had that happen to my first pair of k500s. The driver has to be replaced in that case. But chances are that it's just a hair or a dust particle stuck in the driver.

Aug 27, 2010 at 9:43 AM Post #6 of 10
Ah the left cup low frequency rattle.  In my case my driver was damaged and I had to send it back to AKG for a repair.  They sent it back with a new driver and looking good but beware their customer service is very slow to respond so If taking off and cleaning the pads doesn't work and it is still under warranty just send them back to AKG.

Aug 27, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #7 of 10
There is one very very bassy song that I have heard a slight rattle on, but only at high to very high volume levels, and turning it down to a moderate level makes it disappear. Really has caused me no stress with my pair, but like I said it's really only been the one song that I've noticed it on before. I rarely listen to them at that high of a volume to where it could happen.

I highly highly highly doubt burn in will have any impact on the rattle, so if these are a very new pair and the rattle is persistent even at lower volume I'd recommend warrantying them for a new pair. Sucks though :-/

Aug 27, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #8 of 10
It's not at the bassi parts it's at a mid range sound and only at certain frequencies.. But then again I'm not using a proper amp yet. But I don't think that would be an issue... Thanks again.. It's not a rattle like something is broken or anything I'll see what happens after my amp comes in...

Aug 27, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #9 of 10
Also I was watching transformers 2 bluray -> ht receiver -> K701 via and optical cable. louder than I listen to my music and all the fight scenes and everything sounded super crisp no distortion at all.. Even on the bassy lows... So I'm clueless.. I did notice small marks on the speakers.. I'll take a pic and post it when I get home.

Aug 28, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
Also I was watching transformers 2 bluray -> ht receiver -> K701 via and optical cable. louder than I listen to my music and all the fight scenes and everything sounded super crisp no distortion at all.. Even on the bassy lows... So I'm clueless.. I did notice small marks on the speakers.. I'll take a pic and post it when I get home.

Hmm, I have some small marks on my drivers as well but it doesn't impact the sound. The drivers might not be secured perfectly inside of the headphone and that's where your problem might be coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back