k701 bass problem
May 29, 2006 at 8:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

brat

500+ Head-Fier
After about 150 hours burn-in the bass of my k701... disappeared!
I mean... untill now I didn't noticed any lack of bass but for 3-4 days I feel the overall sounding very, very "thin" and the mid-bass (50-200Hz maybe) is parceptibly missing.
Has anyone noticed similar problem??

May 29, 2006 at 9:15 PM Post #2 of 21
yah, it seems during the process of wearing/burning-in the K701, some things dissapear and come back later...tis weird, ne?

May 29, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #3 of 21
Don't wanna be a sarcastic about it, but you have to wait another 350 hours.
tongue.gif

look up here

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=182256

May 30, 2006 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat
I mean... untill now I didn't noticed any lack of bass but for 3-4 days I feel the overall sounding very, very "thin" and the mid-bass (50-200Hz maybe) is parceptibly missing.

Make sure to check the placement of the K701s on your head. Try moving them forward, backward, upwards, and downwards until you hear the bass again. If that doesn't do it, then I guess physical "burn-in" is a possible culprit. Or your headphones are broken in some way(s).

Uodated to add: Oh yeah, and headband tightness. The tighter the headband, the closer the drivers are to your ears, and the stronger the bass is. This is one major reason people report AKG K 81 DJs bass lowering - since it is an uncomfortable headphone with the default headband pressure, people bend the headband in order to lessen pressure, resulting in lowered bass prescence. When wearing the headphones, I can put pressure on each cup, and get the same overly-powerful, boomy bass they came with. However, it does seem to be more controlled than when I remeber them within the first several hours, so I guess short-term initial break-in does have an impact on their sound (drivers settling). But sonic memory (doubt I am using the right terms) is by no means perfect (at all), so I could just be imagining the bass as being more refined.

May 30, 2006 at 9:52 AM Post #7 of 21
I imagine things, it makes life easier. I Eac'd to wave and then replay gained in Flac and am imagining the bass and all sounds great with Flac files. "Workin' For A Livin'" by Huey Lewis & The News sounds tremendous. So does about everything else. I love them straight out, but even slightly better with a cross feed plugin and the headphone setting in Sounds and Audio Devices.

I am only at about 120 hours though. I will be prepared for changes, but these things are delicious.

May 30, 2006 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 21
For me, the bass materialized at about 175 hours. And judging from the experiences on another thread, the bass takes another quantum jump at around 500 hours. I guess you should just drop them in a drawer, turn on iTunes, and let them play at healthy volume levels, day and night.

May 30, 2006 at 1:54 PM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by brat

BASS?
Mabey Sennheiser's HD600/650 is a better choice.

May 30, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 21
There is a period where the bass goes away during break-in, but it comes back. If break in is stressing you out, then just let them burn in for a couple of weeks before listening.

500 hours is what the dealer told me the K1000s needed, and I think these are about the same.

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 21
hrmm.. I don't think I really believe in burn-in, but this afternoon when comparing my one week old 701 vs my old Senn HD555, i noticed a LOT more bass on the HD555s..

i don't know why I didn't notice the lack of bass on the 701 before. maybe it is burn in.. or maybe there has always been a problem (bad amplification)

Jun 4, 2006 at 7:01 AM Post #13 of 21
bass is soooo down in mine
confused.gif

i gotta use bass settings like
0, -2, -5, -9 ... in mine to make it sound "normal"

hope the bass come back.. otherwise they must be damaged or something

May 25, 2011 at 10:17 PM Post #14 of 21
I just got a new K701, serial number 63800. Only a couple hours of pink noise burn-in so far, but I took a listen. I was surprised that the bass is quite boomy and lacking definition. This is odd; a few years ago I purchased a new K701 (eventually sold it), and it was thin-sounding at the beginning. But this new one is boomy, way too much midbass and lacking definition. I suppose this will improve, but I am very surprised. Anyone else notice this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back