K701... are they really THAT amazing?
Feb 27, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #61 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by aimlink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My DAC/Amp with power supply is $2150.
smily_headphones1.gif
A great investment I've found. The K702's are more than worthy to be used with my Ultra Desktop Amp!!

Haha, kewl.

Realised a long time ago that most k70x owners that love their k70x, have their dac+amp or individually, is more expensive than their k70x haha

Guess this is what they meant by k70x being a great bang for the bucks phone, but the amping and source is the one that is gonna cost haha

Feb 27, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #62 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha, kewl.

Realised a long time ago that most k70x owners that love their k70x, have their dac+amp or individually, is more expensive than their k70x haha

Guess this is what they meant by k70x being a great bang for the bucks phone, but the amping and source is the one that is gonna cost haha

Yes... they do sing with great equipment. I could get myself an HD800 or T1, but I'm content ATM with the K702 sound and doubt VERY much that I'll be that much more impressed by the available big guns available. Why? I now have my Symphones Magnums (SR325is mod) and they are being compared to the HD800's and thought by others, to better the RS1's. One owner is trying to figure out which he prefers, his HD800's or his Magnums, saying that the only thing extra to get out of the HD800 is improved sound staging. OTOH, I still find them comparable as they were, with my RS2i's, and YES, my K702's. When I posted this experience, I was advised that I needed an improved amp and source to better appreciate my Magnum's excellence before seriously considering the HD800's.
smily_headphones1.gif
The Magnums still end up being just under a half the value of the HD800's, so I'm sure you'll soon hear that there's an equipment issue that prevents one from properly appreciating the HD800's superiority over the Magnums.
tongue.gif
My Ed8's are great in their own way too but not on another level as I initially felt about them!!
smily_headphones1.gif

There's a lot of tabled argument about placebo effect for cables, power cords etc. But none really about Headphones and the degree of differences appreciated between them. There will be inevitable differences between them so there are usually no arguments there. However, I do sit and quietly observe the subjective value placed on those differences. I know I'm not immune to this sort of influence.... not by any means. But one thing I stubbornly believe, is that the K702's price tag, it's continued availability and lack of exclusivity, has a lot to do with its currently perceived distance from way more expensive cans where their performance and sound quality are concerned.

The K702's are fussy with dac/amp'ing, no doubt. It's interesting how this characteristic is portrayed when compared with the HD800, for example. For the HD800, it's a given... I mean, what else would one expect from a can that expensive? Some testify this experience with pride of ownership.
smily_headphones1.gif
Afterall, one wouldn't purchase one without planning to power them with a great amp. So for one can, it's not unusual, is expected and some may even consider it a 'virtue' since the fussiness in amp'ing is put down to the resolving power of the can. For another, it leads to other problems, the main being that the typical user is unable to afford the type of amp'ing required and hence, fails to experience them at their full potential and making their final verdict.

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:03 PM Post #63 of 286
*anxiously awaiting an appearance from Team Plasticy Sound*

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:39 PM Post #64 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Plastic sound indeed! They have a lot of pros... but I have never heard this ZOMG AMAZING many people speak of. The sound is pretty thin too. They are not particularly detailed IMO either.

But I am going to hold on to mine until I get a new, legit amp. I have always felt I was missing something with my K702... they are just utterly boring. So I will make an educated decision before they are ousted.

Like Kool Bubba Ice said, there are certainly headphones with more detail around this price range, much more, but you would have to give up like 70% of the soundstage for a 20% increase in detail. Not exactly ideal given your preferences...

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #65 of 286
^Sell some of those headphones in your signature and buy a decent source... And then make judgments on headphone sound quality.

STX is great, but only its headphone out with correct setting (refer to page 1 and 2 of this thread).

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:20 PM Post #67 of 286
You could always give a try to a pair of HiFiMAN HE-5s. Incredible detail, a great amount of bass and lovely analogue sounding mids.

Cons: Soundstage isn't as artificially wide as the K701s, you're going to need a beefy amp to power them and like the K701s, you're going to want a very quiet room to enjoy all the micro-details. Also, QC has been a little hit or miss.

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:01 PM Post #68 of 286
When i'll get my amp i'll update you guys about the results.
Also, In the next days, I'll have a chance to try out other phones like GS1000\HD650\HD800 and more. i'll update about that too.

Btw.... Heed Canamp is really the ultimate amp for getting the 100% from K701?
If there's something a way more better (specially with details) let me know please.

Feb 27, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #69 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by nierika /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You called?
biggrin.gif

The K-701 has some good qualities, but the vocals are off. Try comparing them to the real thing, if at all possible. If you can record someone singing then compare the live person to the recording played on the K-701, you'll hear the plasticky sound. The vocals won't sound "right."

I knew something was off with the K-701, though I really wanted to love them at first. Seriously. I love the K-501, K-1000, K-340, and K-240DF, so I was eager to try the K-701 and expected to love it. But I didn't. It didn't sound right.

It took a bit of comparison to other equipment (K-1000, HP-2, HD-800, O2, ESL-63, etc., and I make no excuses for them) and the plasticky vocals stuck right out.

Funny thing is that the K-601 doesn't have this problem. I might get a pair of those sooner or later to kick around.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:45 PM Post #71 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by wali /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^Sell some of those headphones in your signature and buy a decent source... And then make judgments on headphone sound quality.

STX is great, but only its headphone out with correct setting (refer to page 1 and 2 of this thread).

I use the RCA out of the STX. I am currently looking for a proper amp to replace my LittleDot MK V which is a pretty decent solid state amp.

Maybe I am just being stubborn, but with an SNR of 124 decibles... it is pretty hard to beat at anywhere close to this price range. So, I am not looking to upgrade my source until I go balanced most likely. I will look into rolling op amps though.

Also... thanks, but just because I think the STX is great does not mean I am in need of technical support to make it sound its best haha. I use foobar2000 with WASAPI etc etc.

Feb 27, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #72 of 286
I too prefer my AD1000PRM to K701 a lot more too.

Once its from a high-end source to Luxman P1 and once when I used to have it.
K701 is not bad, but the PRM just more suitable for me.

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:19 PM Post #73 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When i'll get my amp i'll update you guys about the results.
Also, In the next days, I'll have a chance to try out other phones like GS1000\HD650\HD800 and more. i'll update about that too.

Btw.... Heed Canamp is really the ultimate amp for getting the 100% from K701?
If there's something a way more better (specially with details) let me know please.

Honestly the Heed Canamp isn't the best amp for the k701s (as most will agree). It is however a very good value and one of the best in it's price bracket. Pretty sure you will see some suggestions for the Phonitor /Auditor from SPL amongst some others. I like the Heed for easy listening, but as I have said before it feels a bit less analytical than with my Luxman.

Feb 27, 2010 at 11:21 PM Post #74 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You called?
biggrin.gif

The K-701 has some good qualities, but the vocals are off. Try comparing them to the real thing, if at all possible. If you can record someone singing then compare the live person to the recording played on the K-701, you'll hear the plasticky sound.

Remove the earpads and take out the little black donut foam discs.

Feb 28, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #75 of 286
As I understand, Heed Canamp isn't the amp I'm looking for to drive K701, after all.

I need the most analytical, transparent and detailed amp, who can make my K701 just like it. (very detailed and transparent, as I said).

Any recommendation?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back