K701... are they really THAT amazing?
Feb 26, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #17 of 286
It seems to be the same (almost, I have different picture in the left side and it seems to be differnt up there)

But the setting was the same but the sample rate (it was 192- what it has to do with the sound btw?)

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:02 PM Post #18 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It seems to be the same (almost, I have different picture in the left side and it seems to be differnt up there)

But the setting was the same but the sample rate (it was 192- what it has to do with the sound btw?)

it does. unless you have files that are 24/192, whats the point of resampling 44.1 to 192? read more about resampling.

also check the hi fi option. it disables 'environment size' option in equalizer setting which can distort the sound.

edit: environment, not experiment. lol

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:05 PM Post #19 of 286
below "Output devise" I can see "Music Hi-Fi" write in black, but I don't know how to change it.

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #20 of 286
newpictured.jpg

on the bottom right, above GX, that is hi fi option (HF) click on it.

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:10 PM Post #21 of 286
One of three things is happening.
1) Your expectations were unrealistic
2) Your rig isn't able to drive the K701 adequately
3) You are expecting to hear details that just aren't very present in the recordings (either due to them being compressed or being poor recordings)

I think 1 and 3 are the most likely candidates.

You're not going to find a lot of headphones much more detailed than the K701. The Stax rig I have and the HD800 I used to have were more detailed, but only slightly, and much more expensive. Same thing with soundstage - HD800 is a little bigger, but again only slightly, and the K701 is bigger than the Stax rig I use now.

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:12 PM Post #23 of 286
Done. but it's not seems to do anything.

Btw thanks for your help!

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #25 of 286
Quote:

after connect them to my sound-card amp they sound better for me. a lot of sounds and wide soundstage. the problem was that, all those sounds collided with each other. the bass was lack, the midrange was somewhat-opaque, and the high frequency was too loud so It was such a pain in my ears.
but well, I didn't burned-in them yet, so I gave them some burn-in hours.

Sounds like you want to hear the recorded material in a more natural - organic way, perhaps as it was meant to be heard. If this is the case you should try the K271 with velour pads, (you ´ll be able to hear the full spectrum of a snare and the cymbals will sound like... cymbals!)
icon10.gif
They´re closed pro studio cans and you won´t find so much hype about them here in the forum.
Own them both, the K271 and K701 (burned for about 100hs. so far). Also using a Xonar D2 as source with perhaps the most popular choice for for driving them, the Canamp.
I suppose the K271 can sound as great with your STX as they do with the D2. If you go the Heed way with these cans, you´ll find a full body - golden midrange sonic treasure.

Feb 26, 2010 at 4:40 PM Post #26 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonshake /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose the K271 can sound as great with your STX as they do with the D2.

The STX is the superior card so that shouldn't be the issue. I like your suggestion of the K271.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #27 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So amp won't help me, the K701 just was a bad choice....?

"It sounds like you're looking for new headphones." I do! I really love the sound singature.
The details just have to be more stronger and prominent. isn't it something who amp can change in AKG K701?

I don't know about the rest, but if anyone would ask for a headphone that has the most details, I would recommend the akg k70x easily..

Try pairing it with the heed canamp ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of three things is happening.
1) Your expectations were unrealistic
2) Your rig isn't able to drive the K701 adequately
3) You are expecting to hear details that just aren't very present in the recordings (either due to them being compressed or being poor recordings)

I think 1 and 3 are the most likely candidates.

Why not 2 ?
Take a look at his signature and first post..

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:14 PM Post #28 of 286
Quote:

The STX is the superior card so that shouldn't be the issue

Oh yeah, I know. I´ve said that because I like a lot how the mellow opamps of the D2 pairs with the analytic (cold?) profile of the K271 but I didn´t try the STX.
Quote:

I like your suggestion of the K271.

Thanks. IMHO, these cans are heavily underrated

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:20 PM Post #29 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by Junliang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know about the rest, but if anyone would ask for a headphone that has the most details, I would recommend the akg k70x easily..

Try pairing it with the heed canamp ?

Why not 2 ?
Take a look at his signature and first post..

I dont think 2 is as much of an issue when it comes to finding details and soundstage, as they are exceptional at that, even when gigantically underpowered. The thing that correctly driving it helps with most is adding a slight bit more balance to the otherwise overly shrill highs and non existent midbass. Adequate power also allows them to hit hard transients better, and sound more crisp, which I guess could possibly have something to do with how "detailed" they sound.

But again, if your quest is for details and soundstage, and the K701 didn't do it for you with his set-up, he's going to likely have to look elsewhere. In fact I don't even know where to tell him to look. Perhaps a big time HD800 setup, electrostats (though the soundstage would likely be smaller) or maybe one of the top of the line open air audio technicas. Which are all bustantially more expensive than the K701.

Feb 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM Post #30 of 286
Quote:

Originally Posted by fjrabon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I dont think 2 is as much of an issue when it comes to finding details and soundstage, as they are exceptional at that, even when gigantically underpowered. The thing that correctly driving it helps with most is adding a slight bit more balance to the otherwise overly shrill highs and non existent midbass. Adequate power also allows them to hit hard transients better, and sound more crisp, which I guess could possibly have something to do with how "detailed" they sound.

But again, if your quest is for details and soundstage, and the K701 didn't do it for you with his set-up, he's going to likely have to look elsewhere. In fact I don't even know where to tell him to look. Perhaps a big time HD800 setup, electrostats (though the soundstage would likely be smaller) or maybe one of the top of the line open air audio technicas. Which are all bustantially more expensive than the K701.

O.O
There was a good 4-5 months time, where I was driving the akg k701 using the rsa predator, and seriously, those few months felt like hell to listen to the k701. Fatigue, tiny, lack dynamics, totally different from the time my friend let me try his k701 with diva goya headamp. Its that bad imho.

Thats why I recommended him Monitor BookShelf speakers..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back