k601 vs k701 what do you thing are the differences between the two?
Aug 25, 2009 at 3:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

john53

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi,i'm a satisfied owner of an hd 600.I really like the sound of these cans,they have a balanced,open,silky/smooth sound,with natural timbre and they are not fatiguing,i can listen to them for hours...

I was searching for a pair of good closed cans to use with my portable cd player.I've tried the sony mdr 7509hd,german maestro 8.35,akg k271mkii,sennheiser hd25ii-i,but i didn't really like any of them.I think i don't like closed cans.They sound a bit weird and unnatural to my ears(except the hd25,which was nice,but i didn't like it so much,just personal preference).They all had an echoing,hollow sound,especially in the mids,like the sound comes from a closed space,causing ressonances?(sorry for my english here...)I will try the srh 840 and ath m50 in the next days,but i have a feeling that i will not like them...
I'm not sure that this problem with closed cans is because of my portable cd player(i know that it's not ideal either),because i've tried hd595/555,k601 out of my portable too,and they sounded ok...

I really liked the k601 the last time i listened to them out of my portable(when i was searching for closed cans,i tried it out of curiocity),and i'm seriously thinking getting a pair for home use.

I like my hd600,but i have a problem with my earpads,and no solution had been found yet,so i/m thinking to get a pair of these(k601)because i don't want to spend a big amount of money...

What do you think about the k601 vs k701?I have tried the k701 in the past,out of a proffesional audio equipment(this thing with the many switches(eq) and knobs which is used outside for proffesional use,sorry i don't know the english word),and it was not bad at all.

Aug 25, 2009 at 5:11 PM Post #2 of 6
My post from a thread of similar topic
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cankin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
K701/K702:
+ more neutral
+ larger soundstage
+ more resolving
+ airy
+ better instrument placement
- headband bumps can be uncomfortable for some
- bright, harsh, fatiguing, boring, lifeless are usual descriptions used by those who don't like K701/702

K601:
+ more upfront sound in which some may enjoy more
+ musical
+ warmer and a little more bass than K701/702
+ better headband IMO
- smaller soundstage
- less airy
- less transparent
- less resolving, something annoying around its midrange to me

Aug 25, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 6
Personally, I prefer my 601s for more laid-back listening sessions. They *can* react poorly to a bright source, with piercing highs, but mostly they reward you with a large soundstage and good detail levels. Bass is tight, and nowhere near the impact levels of my Ultrasones, and I'm surprised that you liked them from a portable, as I consider a good mains-powered amp essential for these cans. I might add that they also converted me from burn-in sceptic to burn-in believer after 200 hours.

For the money I paid, I believe there are better cans out there from Beyer and AT - just my personal opinion.

Aug 26, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by estreeter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I prefer my 601s for more laid-back listening sessions. They *can* react poorly to a bright source, with piercing highs, but mostly they reward you with a large soundstage and good detail levels. Bass is tight, and nowhere near the impact levels of my Ultrasones, and I'm surprised that you liked them from a portable, as I consider a good mains-powered amp essential for these cans. I might add that they also converted me from burn-in sceptic to burn-in believer after 200 hours.

For the money I paid, I believe there are better cans out there from Beyer and AT - just my personal opinion.

I liked the overall sound signature,but it had many shortcomings out of the portable(volume,dynamics,highs/lows extension,a little sibilant,bass/midbass/mids definition,mids not so natural and smooth,lack of body etc.But i understand that with the right setups,it could be very good.

thanks everybody for the replies.I will think about it before make any purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back