K550 vs M50
Dec 19, 2012 at 11:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HarpWithAFeelin

New Head-Fier
Hey guys!

I'm new in this hobby and was hoping if you all could help me out a bit. This is what im looking for:

Closed
<250$
Prefer detachable cable (however, i can let someone do this for me i think)
Full size but portable
Built to last
Low impedience, used with mysamsung galaxy s2
No sound leaking out or in

With that in mind, I was thinking of buying the m50 for 150 euros (which is alot), and it did have a detachable cable. However, yesterday I saw the akg k550 for only 180 euros, so I'd to hear any first hand experience you have with the two.

Other cans I were looking at included: SRH840, m-audio q40 and some others.

Genres I mostly listen to: Trance, Metal, Rock, Blues and stuff like dubstep, dnb, techno etc

I hope I gave you enough information for you to recomend a good substitute for the m50.

Thanks alot guys!

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:59 PM Post #3 of 13
Personally I'd go for the K550. Thinking of picking myself up a set before they get replaced by the K551.

Edit: Bumping after an hour ain't the best of etiquette 

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:07 PM Post #6 of 13
Are you sure you only want full-sized? Because you can get JVC FXT90 IEM for $100 that have a great balance for your preferred genres with full, punchy bass and an exciting sound. The soundstage is also very nice on them with excellent depth. The impedance is 12 Ohms with an almost flat impedance curve (rare for dynamic driver headphones), so the sound is great out of almost any source. The fit is shallow so you should be able to get used to them quite easily, unless you have an ear condition that prevents you from using IEMs altogether that is. This IEM sounds much better than M50 and beats almost any other closed full-sized can at anywhere near the price, even in the soundstage department, as it gives music more depth than even some good full-sized open back headphones.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Have you even heard the Vmoda M100? They are awful. The pro 750s are a good choice though. 

Hey! I'm curious as to why you didn't have a good experience with them, I've read mixed reviews. What bugged you about the m100s?

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Have you even heard the Vmoda M100? They are awful.

Whether I like something, or whether you like something, is strictly preference. And that doesn't mean that someone else might or might not enjoy them.

There are many, many headphones that are "popular" that I think are awful. But I don't go an ask if everyone who recommends them have ever even heard them.

How about you describe for the OP why something is "awful" to you so that it's not just a pointless opinion with no description or reason behind it.

Very best,

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM Post #10 of 13
Are you sure you only want full-sized? Because you can get JVC FXT90 IEM for $100 that have a great balance for your preferred genres with full, punchy bass and an exciting sound. The soundstage is also very nice on them with excellent depth. The impedance is 12 Ohms with an almost flat impedance curve (rare for dynamic driver headphones), so the sound is great out of almost any source. The fit is shallow so you should be able to get used to them quite easily, unless you have an ear condition that prevents you from using IEMs altogether that is. This IEM sounds much better than M50 and beats almost any other closed full-sized can at anywhere near the price, even in the soundstage department, as it gives music more depth than even some good full-sized open back headphones.

Well the thing is, I've already got IEMs, the Monster Jamz. They probably suck, but I wouldnt know haha. For this reason I want closed back full size cans.

Malveaux, I actually was considering those vmoda m100, but here in Holand they are alot more expensive, just like the m50s being€ 150 compared to 100$ on amazon.

So at the moment it's still a toss up between the k550 and the m50, as in my country they only differ €30. I am however worried about the size of the k550, so if anyone has any substitutes?

Thanks again for the help guys

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:
Well the thing is, I've already got IEMs, the Monster Jamz. They probably suck, but I wouldnt know haha. For this reason I want closed back full size cans.
Malveaux, I actually was considering those vmoda m100, but here in Holand they are alot more expensive, just like the m50s being€ 150 compared to 100$ on amazon.
So at the moment it's still a toss up between the k550 and the m50, as in my country they only differ €30. I am however worried about the size of the k550, so if anyone has any substitutes?
Thanks again for the help guys

What reason? I am sure Monster Jamz are inferior to FXT90. If you haven't heard good IEMs, your really should. Good IEMs like FXT90 can offer much better value for your money than full-sized closed back dynamics. I can guarantee that the great ~$100 IEMs such as FXT90, Etymotic HF5 or Phonak Audeo PFE are easily as good as the $300 K550 and sound way better than M50 (I owned M50 for a while). Compared to open back full siezed cans, it's a different story, but the $100 IEMs can still take on my $200 DT990 Pro quite easily, especially Etymotics and JVCs.

Moreover, IEMs are so much smaller and more convenient than lagging around big cans and usually offer more isolation and less sound leakage as well. I really don't see many reasons why one should rather use over the ear headphones, unless the person has overly sensitive ear canals or some ear condition preventing them to use IEMs comfortably. I think most people just have this natural bias towards bigger headphones because they are well - bigger. They think that bigger = better. More powerful bass, bigger soundstage, etc, none of which is necessarily true as there are IEMs like Westone 4 that blow away most full sized open back cans in soundstage or FX700 that has more power in the low end that 90% of cans as well.

Dec 20, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #12 of 13
So I think I made my decision on which cans to get. I'll be gettig the k550's in a few days. I think they'll be great as all-round headphones for a long time. I want them to be all-round because im still at school so I don't have the money to buy lots of different pairs. And if anyone else has suggestions its all welcome!

As for those FXT90, I might actually be getting those if I find the K550 too cumbersome when used as a portable. Thanks Pianist for the tip! Do you know any other durable, budget IEMs
that will suit me needs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back