K501s with K701s pads is an amazing transformation!
Jul 24, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #46 of 103
I odered them Wednesday, July 18th and they arrived today via FedEx Express.

Now both K501 sets become K501.1s and the K701s will return to their status quo ante.
lambda.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 3:14 AM Post #47 of 103
That was a pretty quick turn around, wae! I hope my future pad orders go as smooth.

Welp, I ordered a new set of 501's Saturday just to screw around with the pad mod. =:^O Found them at *hint* "an underground retail movement sparking the home studio uprising by selling cool recording technology." It'll be fun to compare the 501's against the 701's directly.

I'll post the dealer's name after I'm sure I have my set in good condition.
tongue.gif

It's been so long since I've heard 501's I've pretty much forgotten their sound. I sold my old pair after I got into a HD600 phase, ("Lawd...Lawdy Lawd, forgive me for I have erred"). But that didn't last too long...I got disgusted and sold the 600's and other cans, then got out of 'phones altogether for the past few years.

It's the fault mostly of adanac, Fitz, and a few others for going on and on about the sound of the 'bastardized' 501's.
evil_smiley.gif
Of course they will get their just desserts should this not play out well.
k1000smile.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 3:33 AM Post #49 of 103
You've hinted at it on a post I saw the other day. Something about 'you have told people this but would they listen? No!', after (I think it was) adanac mentioned how much more low end the modded 501 has than the 701, etc.

But I'm confuse. Why are you being contrary about such a thing?

*Hmm...maybe Fitz doesn't like me....*
frown.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #51 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by LowPhreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've hinted at it on a post I saw the other day. Something about 'you have told people this but would they listen? No!', after (I think it was) adanac mentioned how much more low end the modded 501 has than the 701, etc.

But I'm confuse. Why are you being contrary about such a thing?

*Hmm...maybe Fitz doesn't like me....*
frown.gif

I said how much more bass the k501 w/ k701 pads and the foam disc has than the k701 alone. But personally I don't think adding the foam disc is a good move as is destroys the awesome mids. K501 + k701 pads is the best option. I think you will enjoy .

Jul 24, 2007 at 6:07 AM Post #52 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I said how much more bass the k501 w/ k701 pads and the foam disc has than the k701 alone. But personally I don't think adding the foam disc is a good move as is destroys the awesome mids. K501 + k701 pads is the best option. I think you will enjoy .

Right, but I thought that Fitz had agreed with your assertion about the improved bass response after the mod, as well as the 501's having overall better sound than the 701's.

Well it doesn't matter, since I'll be able to judge for myself soon.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 24, 2007 at 1:21 PM Post #54 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pibborando /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nooo! Stop making me want to get a K501 and K701 pads!

If you're interested, I can PM you the place where I found them before they're sold out.

Jul 24, 2007 at 8:45 PM Post #56 of 103
It figures!
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Quote:

Hello *** and thank you for the reply. We are a storefront and we do carry quite a selection of stock here in the store. However, when items are ordered online that are not currently on our shelves we just direct order them as needed.

Our last pair of K501's just recently sold in the store. The reason I hadn't pulled them offline was because I hadn't even gotten around to restocking them so I wasn't aware they'd been discontinued. I think they sold about a week ago. I am sorry I am unable to order you another set and I will refund your card today.

Please check back and we'll hope to see you again sometime.

Very Sincerely,
Kate

Sorry Pibborando. I just received this today.
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
Looks like I won't be getting a set right away after all.

Aug 25, 2007 at 2:57 AM Post #58 of 103
edit. bump for easier access.

Aug 28, 2007 at 2:26 PM Post #59 of 103
anybody know where to get 701 pads in Canada? I tried contacting the distributor (soundcraft) but they dont' have replacement parts and said to ask local shops.

asked around...none of them have it and it take a few weeks to order
frown.gif

Dec 31, 2007 at 6:01 PM Post #60 of 103
Hi there,

Well, ordered some K701 pads to put on my K501 after reading all the rave about the transformation here. Finally had a chance to give them a listen over Christmas and...

Well, I prefer the stock K501 pads.

The K701 pads on the K501 take the a little of the airy, open sound of the K501. Sure the bass is increased but it becomes muddy and overblown. This is without foam disc and with the pads mounted in the correct way (thick part back). I also find them more comfortable with the stock pads.

My dad recently bought some K601s (just to annoy me basically). And I must say, they are in a different league to the K501. More detail AND less harshness (yes, it's possible). Instruments have more body to them; they tend to be very edgy but also thin on the K501. Soundstage is also bigger to me. Bass quantity is comparable but it's deaper and more impactful on the K601. The K601 is just more pleasant a listen and is just that little bit better at everything it does.

PS: I initially mounted the pads with the thick part at the bottom. That sounded really awful! It's amazing how the pad position can change the sound.

Just my input on the story. If you like the mod, by all means keep going, don't let me stop you.
tongue.gif
I just thought people who own the K501 might want to read a slightly more moderate opinion.

Cheers,
Piffles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back