K501s with K701s pads is an amazing transformation!
Jul 19, 2007 at 6:05 AM Post #31 of 103
Quote:

I was told they’re in stock so I ordered 2 sets @ $78 incl. tax/ship.

I have 2 pairs of K501s. One to use and one unopened in the shipping carton -just in case.

EDIT2: Aye, I think he did mean pads. 2 K501s won't cost $78, obviously. And it seems he just ordered them so he won't have them yet. He already has the K501s in his possession.

Jul 19, 2007 at 6:08 AM Post #32 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by LowPhreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nah. How bout:

K507

or

K501.7

k701smile.jpg
< new :K701smile:

How about K751 ?

K666
very_evil_smiley.gif

The more I listen to these hybrids the more I like them over the k701.
It's like taking a k701 + Dynamics - siblance/unnatural treble + Purer/more uncolored midrange = K751 / K507... It needs a smilie...

If anyone out there has both k701 and k501 please write a quick comparison
between stock k701 and hybrid k501

Jul 19, 2007 at 6:24 AM Post #33 of 103
Last November (soon after I arrived here and still had some money in the bank
tongue.gif
) I bought 2 pairs of K501s From ZZounds for $99 each and one pair remains sealed in its shipping carton.

Today, I bought 4 K701 pads (they're sold individually) for $17.50 each. With tax and shipping it came to $78. When I bought them they were in stock.

Jul 19, 2007 at 10:50 PM Post #34 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a pair last month off of eBay for $90. They were listed as used but they look new. I burned them in for 11 straight days when I was on vacation, but I still like the K500 better.

That was a steal. I'm sure there's a Head-Fier who would be happy to take them off your hands should you decide that the K500 is the keeper of the two.

Jul 19, 2007 at 10:56 PM Post #35 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Allen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That was a steal. I'm sure there's a Head-Fier who would be happy to take them off your hands should you decide that the K500 is the keeper of the two.

Or he could keep both.
biggrin.gif

Jul 20, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #36 of 103
I haven't AB'd the K501.1s with HD600s so this is just a tentative conclusion: Before the mod K501s were excellent phones reminiscent of planar speakers without a sub woofer. For much pre 19th century orchestral, choral and chamber music they’re sublime but for 19th century orchestral music onward they sound like the conductor chose to tone down the bottom so the music would have more sparkle and pizzaz. With K501.1s the conductor has second thoughts and finally comes to his senses.

Jul 21, 2007 at 1:45 AM Post #40 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by adanac061 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I put my k501's up for sale , but now after putting the k701 foam disc under the k701 pads on the k501, I might just keep them.
I can't decide if the bass is too much with this configuration.
It has way more bass than a k701.

Anyone out there tried the k501 with the k701 pads and the foam disc.....
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

Of course, I pioneered this disk mod combined with the k701 pads a year ago. I peppered the boards with it, in the k-501 appreciation thread in fact, however it never received any response, afaik...

I'm glad to hear you like it in your system. Yes, of course, it is system dependent weather the bass is tight enough as with my Opera, or to much as with my MAD, in the latter case when driven by a GE tube, when switched out to the Sylvania(a brighter tube with less bass presence), it too is the right balance and not at all boomy... Point being, as always, this k501 w/k701 disk w/pad mod is gear train sensitive! Interesting concept to grasp with the experiment
wink.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #42 of 103
Quote:

I put my k501's up for sale , but now after putting the k701 foam disc under the k701 pads on the k501, I might just keep them.
I can't decide if the bass is too much with this configuration.
It has way more bass than a k701.

Anyone out there tried the k501 with the k701 pads and the foam disc.....
basshead.gif
basshead.gif

I don't wanna start the confusion about the brown ring again, but are yours that version? Maybe that's why they have so much low end now with the 701 pads/foam donut?

I removed the donut from my 701's today. Still haven't made up my mind if I like it better this way.
confused.gif

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:18 AM Post #43 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Burn Pt.2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The foam disc is horrible imo because it robs from some of that midrange.

Exactly, increase the bass presentation and emphasis and you risk overwhelming another frequency. Pretty soon you've turned the poor thing into a Sennheiser
evil_smiley.gif

j/k

Athough seriously thats what I disliked about the HD600 I had at the same time as the K501. While I loved the tonality and texture of the bass presentation of the 501, I did at times wish for a bit more with some music.
Meanwhile the HD600 filled that very very nicely, but the bass seemed to obscur other parts of the music and left me straining to hear what the K501 had spoiled me with.

Jul 21, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #44 of 103
Quote:

Originally Posted by LowPhreak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't wanna start the confusion about the brown ring again, but are yours that version? Maybe that's why they have so much low end now with the 701 pads/foam donut?

I removed the donut from my 701's today. Still haven't made up my mind if I like it better this way.
confused.gif

Nope , mine are the old skool three ports and black baffle material ..bass lite version . The bass blows away the k701 with the k701 pads and foam.

ps: I don't like the k701 with donut removed, you lose some bass and highs become hyped.

Jul 21, 2007 at 5:41 AM Post #45 of 103
Quote:

ps: I don't like the k701 with donut removed, you lose some bass and highs become hyped.

As soon as I removed them I had to run out the door - the Almighty Dollar beckoned!
mad.gif
I didn't notice on quick listen a loss of bass. The mids & highs seemed a bit "fresher" or more open than normal; you could say hyped a bit but I think not too much. It could be my front-end may like it this way, but it merits more ear time to be sure.

You can't get bored with the audio hobby - there's always something else to do.
blink.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back