K500s- defective?
Feb 2, 2011 at 8:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Air22

New Head-Fier
Hi, I've been reading these forums for a while but haven't posted before. I recently bought a pair of (used, obviously) AKG K500s as my first decent full-sized headphones after using IEMs exclusively for years. 

The K500s are cosmetically in great condition. It's too early for me to reach a general conclusion about the sound, both because I haven't spent much time listening to them and because they aren't yet properly amped. However, there's one thing about them that's very annoying. Sometimes when the sound of an instrument is coming mostly from one side, there's a kind of crackling reflection of it on the other side. For instance, a violin will be playing in my left ear, and every time it plays a loud note I'll hear distortion in my right ear. (I think I remember hearing it on both sides early on, but recently I've only been able to recreate the distortion on the right side.)

This has happened with some very high quality files, played through a uDac-2. I know it's not the greatest source, but I doubt it would be the problem, especially since I can't hear any of this distortion through my SCL4s. I have the uDac volume turned up higher than with the SCL4s, but still well short of its max volume. Could this just be an issue with the recordings (I can't hear it at all on most songs), or with the lack of a powerful enough amp? Or does it sound like a problem with the headphones? If so, I'd like to figure it out soon enough that I have a chance at getting my money back.

Thanks for your help.

Feb 3, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #2 of 5
I'm now thinking this could be either a clipping issue (since the distortion seemed to decrease when I tried a slightly more powerful amp) or a hair on the driver (since I'm now pretty sure it's only on one side). Any thoughts?

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:31 AM Post #3 of 5
Any chance you can play the same song where the crackling occurs on another source such as in ipod?  If the effect occurs then you will know its the headphones and not the amp.  I would also remove the earpad and take a close inspection of the driver under a bright light.  Inspect both drivers and note any differences between the two.  

Drop Stay updated on Drop at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/drop https://twitter.com/drop https://www.massdrop.com/?clickid=3QR3Ib27lyA-VkBRJwyGuQJeUkhUQvX5r0tLzQ0&utm_term=252901&utm_content=VigLink&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_source=impactradius&irgwc=1
Feb 8, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #4 of 5
Defective Cabling, Anyone?

It Could be possible the ground wire is exposed somewhere or worn off to the point of no return, and the left-to-right distortion is a symptom of crosstalk. Isolate your sources, and try to see if the effect is recreated at lower volumes. if you have access to a multimeter, check for connection continuity across all the connections. Ideally, you should see only a minor continuity across the left and right +ve connection. If the meter reads far more, you have a short-circuit.

I would not use the Headphones until looked over by a Technician.

Feb 8, 2011 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 5
I have the k500's I can say that the cable makes no noise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back