K340 KT88 mod guide :)
Feb 10, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #91 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by mypasswordis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try also taping up the holes in the backs of the enclosures. I think that helped with the upper frequencies some more, made something in them less funky.

Hm, that makes me think that I also have the bass heavy version, which is weird because all the "signs" point to it being the bass light version. How is the bass compared to your K501?

I'll try that at some point. They're listenable now so there's no pressing need to try to fix them.

My K340 has less bass extension than my K501, but much more overall volume especially in the midbass. Both have the same airy bass that makes it great for acoustic instruments much more than electric/synth instruments.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #92 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll try that at some point. They're listenable now so there's no pressing need to try to fix them.

My K340 has less bass extension than my K501, but much more overall volume especially in the midbass. Both have the same airy bass that makes it great for acoustic instruments much more than electric/synth instruments.

I couldn't say it better my self. For electric instruments the K340 isn't that good (its good compared to others in the price range maybe, but not other headphones in general), but for acoustic instruments it is truely amazing.

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:16 PM Post #93 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by KT88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I couldn't say it better my self. For electric instruments the K340 isn't that good (its good compared to others in the price range maybe, but not other headphones in general), but for acoustic instruments it is truely amazing.

This is your 340th post
blink.gif

I hope you're right. I sometimes feel like there's something... electronic about its sound. Which is a bad thing, because I pretty much listen to solely music with acoustic instruments. At other times it sounds so real I almost piss my pants. My K501 has a more natural timbre, but it also doesn't achieve as much a sense of realism in certain moments that the K340 can pull off so well.

Anyways, thanks KT88 for all your pics of the modding process. They'll be helpful once I get up off my arse to do them myself.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 6:19 PM Post #94 of 236
No problem. I guess I'll be selling my pair sonewhen soon to get another pair to mod so there will be another opportunity for pictures
icon10.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 8:37 AM Post #99 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, the big middle piece is the electret, the five smaller ones are the dynamic passive radiators. The dynamic driver is literally behind the electret.

and just to make it a bit easier to understand. The green part (in the bas-light its green) that is seen fro behind is the back of the dynamic driver.

Feb 11, 2007 at 6:25 PM Post #100 of 236
Yeah, we are still waiting on the parts. Neither of us is in a big rush though, so that's ok.
340smile.gif

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:13 PM Post #101 of 236
I have a few updates
smily_headphones1.gif

First about the sound. This time I've used a copper wire on the outside and a silver wire inside. I've also replaced the cotton inside. This time closing the back actually gave me a more balanced sound.

As for the mods, I've removed the red/white techflex and replaced it with black shrink and a Y-split device.

Here are some pics:
img2409yi5.jpg

close up on the split:
img2411gm7.jpg

Look great
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, I've bought a K1000's a few days ago, and I must say that with my equipment the K340's sound better in most types of music once they are fully modded.

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #102 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by KT88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, I've bought a K1000's a few days ago, and I must say that with my equipment the K340's sound better in most types of music once they are fully modded.

While I do tend to agree with you, remember that the K1000 really needs a speaker amp to be driven properly. The Darkvoice might not be the best match.

Feb 11, 2007 at 10:22 PM Post #103 of 236
this is why I mentioned that its just with my setup
smily_headphones1.gif

One more major update. I've been to my friends place with the K340's. He uses an Audiophile 2496 with the LDII. After listening to the headphones I've noticed they are a bit bright in setups which are even just a bi brighter than mine. So I got back home and started playing with the cup. I've changed the cups closing from electrical tape ti some very heavy foam with electrical tape on it (to make it black) it gave me a bit more bass. Than I've opened the cup and tried playing with the filling of the cup. I've tested with a lot of cotton and non at all. The final result was a bit of blu-tak at the center, and about half the amount of cotton (which is a bit less than AKG puts in stock) now I have almost the same sound just a bit less bright and with more bass punch.

Mar 11, 2007 at 5:37 PM Post #104 of 236
Hi,

I picked up an unmodified pair of these last week. First impressions were of hardly any bass, especially in comparison with my usual HD600's. Anyway, I replaced the elastics, very positive results, especially as the headband was extremely loose beforehand. I cut the plastic grill cover off & replaced with pantyhose - impressive results as well. Then I removed all the cotton wool & sealed the little hole where the cable enters at the back of the plastic housing with electrical tape, too much bass now for some reason. I'll have to try & put the cotton wool back I guess. I have a load of blue-tak but am not totally sure where to place it inside the driver housing. There doesn't seem to be any pictures of this mod, maybe I should try experimenting with the blue-tak before replacing the cotton wool?

Cheers,

Nigel

Mar 11, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #105 of 236
Hey Nigel,

I've tried blu-tak and cotton in diffrent amounts and places, it a matter of taste and you dhould play with it until you find the best result for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back