K340 KT88 mod guide :)
Jan 9, 2007 at 6:41 AM Post #61 of 236
You dont need the plastics. I didn't understand it befire, but I guess I know what your problem is. If you'll look at the inside of the plastice panels (the ones that hole the headband), you'll see that the part where the screw is located is sticking out, place the elastics so that that part that sticks out will be inside of (and place the head band in there as well - there's a hole on each side of the headband in which the screw has to pass) and that's it.

I hope you can understand it, if not, I'll take a picture of it once I'll have a few minutes to spare. Just let me know.

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:10 AM Post #63 of 236
Yes he does.

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:43 AM Post #64 of 236
Im really enjoying the woody k340s. I have it hooked up to a Darkvoice 336i. My source isnt great (Audigy 2 via analog or JVC NV50 DVD/CD via RCA), so im not able to really tell you how great these are without having the best possible source (soon).

I really enjoy the nice deep tone and warmth from the tube amp. It really shines with the 340s. Its almost too smooth at points. Its clean though, all around good sounds.

The 340s arent mine. They are on loan from another member (Boomana). Ive been going back and forth between my Darkvoice and her Heed Canamp. Its really hard to pick between the two. I really enjoy the tight bass on the Heed..its really nice...however the warmy sound i get from tubes is just soo nice. I like thats is not as fast.

How would you say you liked your DV with your 340s?

Jan 9, 2007 at 7:57 AM Post #65 of 236
The DV is the best amp I have heard with it until now. I have has the chance to listen to the MPX3 Slam (with many upgrades) with my K340's a few times (premod - oth the K340's and the DV) and the DV is at the same level, just a bit diffrent in sound (can be changed with tubes). I have also heard it with LD2, LD2++, Corda HA1, Vincent KVH-111, and soon I'll have a chance to audition many other amps.

The DV 336i is a great value for money, It has the right amount of power, it has the looks, and the built quality of it is great. Yet, if you rally want to bring out the most out of your K340's with it, you have to make a few changes. You can see the mods I have made to mine in my sig. The 2 most important things are the Caps I added in the output stage (a mod that has a great affect on the detail and resolution) and the replacment of tubes. The cap I've added in the power supply only made a small diffrence (the sound is a bit more "clean") and the Alps was great because the original pot isn't logarithmic. Also, the Alps didn't fit the PCB, so it was a great reason for getting rid of it, and now the entire pot is P2P
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #66 of 236
I wish these were mine =) Nope, they are boomana's so no modding them for me =)

It does have the mods done to them and the woody upgrades. With the veloure pads which are nicccccceeeee. I cant stand pleather or even real leather on my ears..ewwwwww.

Here is a pic...the DV is now mine =) however its not stock tubes.

Its a Sylvania 6SN7GTB and the other i cant make out...its something -tronic 6080. Sorry...im new to the whole tube thing.

florida0018wo0.jpg

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #67 of 236
The wood is nice. I was wondering if I should get mine woodies as wel. But I decided 50$ to make the cans look better isn't something I want to spend right now, I think it'll be better to first finish recabling (which should get done in a week or so once the TRS connector and the wire arrive) and than if I'll think its worth it, I'll get them woodies. Especially since I am in the middle of upgrading my speakers which is alot of money as well
frown.gif
. (So far I have head many diffrent speakers including the Proac Responce 1SC, Vienna Haydn Grand and many others)

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:52 AM Post #68 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by KT88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The wood is nice. I was wondering if I should get mine woodies as wel. But I decided 50$ to make the cans look better isn't something I want to spend right now, I think it'll be better to first finish recabling (which should get done in a week or so once the TRS connector and the wire arrive) and than if I'll think its worth it, I'll get them woodies. Especially since I am in the middle of upgrading my speakers which is alot of money as well
frown.gif
. (So far I have head many diffrent speakers including the Proac Responce 1SC, Vienna Haydn Grand and many others)

My K 340 have the full headfile modd with the wood but the previous owner never put it on. I have it sitting on my dresser and can't deside. It is just a small wooden disk that you glue on!

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:57 AM Post #69 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish these were mine =) Nope, they are boomana's so no modding them for me =)

Here is a pic...the DV is now mine =) however its not stock tubes.

Its a Sylvania 6SN7GTB and the other i cant make out...its something -tronic 6080. Sorry...im new to the whole tube thing.

florida0018wo0.jpg

How do you like boomana's new Extreme with the K340s? I have a new amp coming from Singlepower next week Supra XLR with the Extreme output stage.

Jan 9, 2007 at 1:50 PM Post #70 of 236
Azure - The elastics have been replaced, but they are obviously not tight enough for you. You could look for smaller elastics or wrap the one end around the part that protrudes at the bottom to tighten it. I will show this in my guide as well as my preferred method which uses the original plastic pieces.
wink.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My K 340 have the full headfile modd with the wood but the previous owner never put it on. I have it sitting on my dresser and can't deside. It is just a small wooden disk that you glue on!

Put it on...

1.JPG

...you know you want to.

[And whats with the exclamation mark... what did you expect. Doing a 'full' woody on the K340 would be next to impossible given their design]

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:48 PM Post #71 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you like boomana's new Extreme with the K340s? I have a new amp coming from Singlepower next week Supra XLR with the Extreme output stage.

Ther extreme is INSANE. It sound very very nice. I didnt have a chance to use the 340s with the extreme for more then a few mins. However in that few the amp performed awesome. Its nice warm sound....i would say very detailed. Hi's are great...mids are very nice also. The bass is nice and clean...controlledper say.

All in all, i didnt have much time with the extreme...we had sooo much gear there we had to move stuff in and out to make room. I will get another good listen on the next SoFlo mini meet and post some more impression.

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #72 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[And whats with the exclamation mark... what did you expect. Doing a 'full' woody on the K340 would be next to impossible given their design]

Sorry did that sound snooty? I guess I did think there would be some other way to install the wood. Your wooden (pucks) Look alittle bigger let me see if I can use some double sided tape and snap a picture.
biggrin.gif

DSC01367.jpg

DSC01362.jpg

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #73 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by HighLife /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ther extreme is INSANE. It sound very very nice. I didnt have a chance to use the 340s with the extreme for more then a few mins. However in that few the amp performed awesome. Its nice warm sound....i would say very detailed. Hi's are great...mids are very nice also. The bass is nice and clean...controlledper say.

All in all, i didnt have much time with the extreme...we had sooo much gear there we had to move stuff in and out to make room. I will get another good listen on the next SoFlo mini meet and post some more impression.

Thanks for your impressions. I can't wait for the new amp, because these are the best headphones I have ever listened to. I think the new ballanced amp. is going to be way cool
icon10.gif
biggrin.gif
with the power hungery K340

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:15 PM Post #74 of 236
E 6000 is what I'd recommend for applying the wood trim pieces to the K340. It's kind of a cross between glue and caulk and you can find it at any craft store, WalMart too if I remember correctly. It also gives you a little working time to adjust it. Just a pea sized dollop in the center of the wood should do it. I'd recommend using Blue painters tape to hold it securley until the glue dries overnight.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:29 PM Post #75 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by swt61 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
E 6000 is what I'd recommend for applying the wood trim pieces to the K340. It's kind of a cross between glue and caulk and you can find it at any craft store, WalMart too if I remember correctly. It also gives you a little working time to adjust it. Just a pea sized dollop in the center of the wood should do it. I'd recommend using Blue painters tape to hold it securley until the glue dries overnight.

Thanks I needed someone to tell me what glue to use.

The Elmers rubber cement I used for the pictures, only lasted long enough to shoot the above photos.

PS. You do some great wood work. You did the headphone stands for Jeff? (vpivinylspinner) Thats who I got the K340s from. I may contact him for a stand. He no longer has anyheadphones to hang.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back