K340 KT88 mod guide :)
Jan 9, 2007 at 11:30 PM Post #76 of 236
Okay, I just fixed the elastics and the headband is now a bit tighter, but of course the headphones are still pretty loose around my ears. If I quickly look down the headphone slide forward at the ear cups.

Next is the pads. Is there anyone here with spare AKG velour pads or knows of a place that ship them out faster than AKG?

Jan 10, 2007 at 12:58 AM Post #77 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by markmaxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks I needed someone to tell me what glue to use.

The Elmers rubber cement I used for the pictures, only lasted long enough to shoot the above photos.

PS. You do some great wood work. You did the headphone stands for Jeff? (vpivinylspinner) Thats who I got the K340s from. I may contact him for a stand. He no longer has anyheadphones to hang.

Thanks Mark, yeah that was me that made his stands. He has 2 stands that I made for him. one is a single out of Walnut and Quilted Maple and the other is huge, it can hold 6 headphones easily, and it's out of Curly Maple and Macassar Ebony.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Okay, I just fixed the elastics and the headband is now a bit tighter, but of course the headphones are still pretty loose around my ears. If I quickly look down the headphone slide forward at the ear cups.

Next is the pads. Is there anyone here with spare AKG velour pads or knows of a place that ship them out faster than AKG?

AKG is the only supplier for them. I talked with Frank again today and he hopes to have them in by the 27th.

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:09 AM Post #78 of 236
Search feature turns up another gem
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks KT88 and all the contributers. I have a K340 on the way
340smile.gif

I would love to see a "megathread" for K340 modding.

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:12 AM Post #79 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Search feature turns up another gem
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks KT88 and all the contributers. I have a K340 on the way
340smile.gif

I would love to see a "megathread" for K340 modding.

Philodox and redleader were supposed to create such a detailed "megathread" on modding the K340 for some time. Not sure if they scrapped the idea or not, but I'm guessing it's just on the back burner for now.

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:14 AM Post #80 of 236
thank you for bumping this, I now noticed I didn't update
smily_headphones1.gif

I've finished moding, sold them, got another pair, and yesterday finished modding it as well (just need to put on the wooden panels).

here are some pics of the new pair:
some of the plastic parts
img2380yb3.jpg

some of the tools and parts:
img2381ly0.jpg

right side after finishing recable:
img2388gr1.jpg

the XO board after removing all the solder and using cardas solder instead:
img2390fk8.jpg

everything done:
img2395ot8.jpg

wooden plug cover close-up:
img2398kd5.jpg

The mods I did were:
copper wire on the outside
silver wire inside
wood cover on the plug
xo bypass
changing all solder to cardas
changing the filling as it was dry and lost its size and shape

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:17 AM Post #81 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by Azure /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Philodox and redleader were supposed to create such a detailed "megathread" on modding the K340 for some time. Not sure if they scrapped the idea or not, but I'm guessing it's just on the back burner for now.

Thats right I believe they are waiting for some parts from AKG.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KT88 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thank you for bumping this, I now noticed I didn't update
smily_headphones1.gif

I've finished moding, sold them, got another pair, and yesterday finished modding it as well (just need to put on the wooden panels).

Thanks for the update. I might send you a PM regarding Darkvoice tubes (if you don't mind).

Feb 10, 2007 at 8:49 AM Post #82 of 236
no problem, feel free to contact me.

Just want to add that these of you who are using the stock K340's are missing alot. I originally thought the K340's stock are great and after modding they are a bit better. after modding the first pair, the second pair (which I got stock) was just awfull, muddy, not detailed, no resolution in the bass, imaging was poor and stage size was much smaller.

after modding they just come to a whole diffrent level. In fact, I've bought a K1000's a few days ago (for such a low price that it almost made me cry
k1000smile.gif
) and the K340's after fully modded are at about the same level. They are diffrent and each has it strenghts but they are both demand being called "one of the best headphones in the world".

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:34 PM Post #84 of 236
that's intresting. what version was it?

I have the badd light version, and w/o the cotton I thoug they sounded really bas with no resolution.

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #85 of 236
Bass heavy version. With it in there was too much recession in the presence / clarity range of treble that made vocals almost impossible to understand without straining really hard.

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #86 of 236
so when you took it out it made the treble clearer or stronger?

Feb 10, 2007 at 3:52 PM Post #88 of 236
the strange thing is that unlike some people say that copper is "warmer" and silver has more treble, I found out diffrent with my K340's. The first pair used silver plated copper which had very nice sound, the new one with copper wire and just internal silver wiring is brigther (even yought I've put in some more cotton to avoid it).

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #89 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats right I believe they are waiting for some parts from AKG.

Thanks for the update. I might send you a PM regarding Darkvoice tubes (if you don't mind).

I'm the guy responsible for ordering the parts. It's taking AKG forever to get the pads in. I talk to Frank weekly. Hopefully soon, and they have not scrapped the idea yet.
cool.gif

Feb 10, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #90 of 236
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A little bit. Not as much as I'd like for some music, but I can listen to and enjoy them now.

Try also taping up the holes in the backs of the enclosures. I think that helped with the upper frequencies some more, made something in them less funky.

Hm, that makes me think that I also have the bass heavy version, which is weird because all the "signs" point to it being the bass light version. How is the bass compared to your K501?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back