k1000 owners club
Aug 18, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #843 of 1,660

Quote:
Bob, congratulations with the K1000! :k1000:

By the way, it sure took you a long time to add your first post. More than eight (8) years since you registered... he he

Ha, yeah...lurk, lurk, lurk.

Got the K1000s in early 2006. Wish I had the amp! Using a Kenwood KM-Z1 (and wasting the other four channels). Would like to try a little tube amp.

Aug 20, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #845 of 1,660

Quote:
Hi Everyone!

#08553 checking in!

also own the AKG Audiosphere BAP-1000 !!!
Together they are a great High-End SET!!! The sound is amazing and unbelivabel !
The only way to listen to music like a realistic auditory perspective when listening through headphones.
The music no longer plays inside your head but seems to come from the room, as if listening to a real orchestra!
LOVE IT!!!

Luppo
o2smile.gif

Welcome to Head-Fi!
Excellent combo you got there. Too bad you are going to part with it right away though...

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #846 of 1,660
Just got a pair of K1000 and wondering if my Parasound HCA-2200II is a good match (Have not received K1000, but will be here shortly). 

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #847 of 1,660
Hello to all,
I also have a question regarding amplification for the K1000. I finally got one on order (from super2003, it's on its way now
bigsmile_face.gif
), and unfortunately the vintage speaker I was able to get in a trip to London (JVC A-S5) is actually quite mediocre at best... it sounds really bright and bottomless, so I figured it will probably be a hideous match for the K1000. So I want to get some half-decent amplification for it, and right now (here in Brazil, sort of the land of no-audio), I have two options... I can either get a Yaqin MC-100B - which, prejudice aside, is supposedly a really great tube amplifier - or a Marantz 2226B vintage amplifier. Which do you guys think will be a better match?
Thanks in advance!

Aug 30, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #848 of 1,660
[size=10pt]I am sure you will be pleased with Yaqin, but from my own experience I am not sure if that will be the match, especially where we are talking about KT88, which are quite powerful valves. Don't get me wrong, KT88 are wonderful tubes, especially NOS GEC, if you can pay for a quad, but the power that this amp produce can be bit to much of a good, if you know what I mean. [/size]
[size=10pt]Me, I owned PrimaLuna Prologue Two and while it was a freaking good amp, after a while I realized that she is simply to powerful and not delicate enough to get K1000 up to the right level. I upgraded to 4 NOS GEC KT88 and all my pre amp section tubes were from NOS Mullard and Brimar: 2x 12AU7 and 2X 12AX7, but still having some "issues" with it. On the other hand, Yaqin have 2 modes: 1x Ultralinear and one pure triode, which is more interesting with his 32W p.ch., so, maybe this will be the winner by matching with K1000. Another aspect that plays up here, you have 10 tubes in total, a lot, if you ask me. One day, if you be so far, you may want to upgrade them and that's where your wallet will start really crying, cos some tubes can cost even more than your new amp with stock valves, so, be prepared..[/size]
[size=10pt]Other than that, amp looks great and I would say, if possible, get one used, less investment, less loss, but also more space for tubes upgrade.[/size]

Quote:
Hello to all,
I also have a question regarding amplification for the K1000. I finally got one on order (from super2003, it's on its way now
bigsmile_face.gif
), and unfortunately the vintage speaker I was able to get in a trip to London (JVC A-S5) is actually quite mediocre at best... it sounds really bright and bottomless, so I figured it will probably be a hideous match for the K1000. So I want to get some half-decent amplification for it, and right now (here in Brazil, sort of the land of no-audio), I have two options... I can either get a Yaqin MC-100B - which, prejudice aside, is supposedly a really great tube amplifier - or a Marantz 2226B vintage amplifier. Which do you guys think will be a better match?
Thanks in advance!

Aug 30, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #849 of 1,660
Blackmore, thanks a lot for your opinions!!
That's actually something I hadn't thought about, and it does make sense. Same for changing the tubes, also because they're pretty difficult to find here in Brazil. I would definitely get one used, but that's kind of impossible here because the MC-100B is sold for around 4.5K dollars by the official distributor, so even if I do find one, it will still be way too expensive. I am looking to buy one from this website: http://hi-end.on9mart.com/ - they have some other options as well, I had chosen the MC-100B as the contender because it's much praised by people in Brazil.
So maybe I can get some other amp from them, or the vintage Marantz, which will be the one with the least amount of hassle (I can buy it from a known guy). What do you think it's my best option? Are the chinese valve amps worth the trouble to get them, sound-wise, over the 2226B?

Aug 30, 2010 at 10:37 AM Post #850 of 1,660
[size=10pt]You are welcome.[/size]
[size=10pt] [/size]
[size=10pt]Not sure what your plans are, mean how long you will stay in Brazil or do you live there? Anyway, there is nothing wrong with Chinese made amps, however we are talking about K1000, so, like everything, the synergy is very important. I don't know how well this beautiful looking Marantz will do his job driving K1000, but I had some cheap T amp, called TrendsAudio T 10.1 and this little thing with his 15W p.ch. did a pretty decent job driving K1000. There are some other options, just search up here or Google. This particular TrendsAudio amp is pretty warm and full sounding one, not really refined, but for that kind of money its a steal. Basically you need an A Class amp for them, but even then you have to see if they match at the end. No matter what you budget may be, try to buy used from some trusty source, maybe from someone up here. You may want to take a look to the tube amps that running on EL84, like Almarro A205A, which been described as one of the good options and it doesn't cost fortune used or even new http://www.almarro.com/products.html[/size]
[size=10pt][/size]
[size=10pt]You may want to check this sale http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?intatube&1288359350&/Almarro-A205A-MkI-set-tube-amp Seems that MkI is differ from MkII and like this guy wrote, may be matches better with K1000. You can also find such info using the link below, but personaly I never tried any Almarro products, so, take it like an sugestion and not advise.[/size]

[size=10pt] http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/almarro4/mk2.html[/size]

Quote:
Blackmore, thanks a lot for your opinions!!
That's actually something I hadn't thought about, and it does make sense. Same for changing the tubes, also because they're pretty difficult to find here in Brazil. I would definitely get one used, but that's kind of impossible here because the MC-100B is sold for around 4.5K dollars by the official distributor, so even if I do find one, it will still be way too expensive. I am looking to buy one from this website: http://hi-end.on9mart.com/ - they have some other options as well, I had chosen the MC-100B as the contender because it's much praised by people in Brazil.
So maybe I can get some other amp from them, or the vintage Marantz, which will be the one with the least amount of hassle (I can buy it from a known guy). What do you think it's my best option? Are the chinese valve amps worth the trouble to get them, sound-wise, over the 2226B?

Aug 30, 2010 at 2:30 PM Post #851 of 1,660
...as a 5min-to-owner of the K1000, would my WA22 be a good match to them? With stock cable (the 4p xlr)? thanx

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #852 of 1,660

Hey hotubei, if this amp cant drive K1000 then I am an ballerina and do not worry about stock cable, do you think those Austrian engineers were dummy to use this one as basic, dont think so. Dont get me wrong, of course cables make changes, but the question is, what kind...

Quote:
...as a 5min-to-owner of the K1000, would my WA22 be a good match to them? With stock cable (the 4p xlr)? thanx

Aug 30, 2010 at 4:43 PM Post #853 of 1,660
I've been meaning to post this for a while, but I'm a happy k1k owner now too!

Pretty much one of the greatest listening experiences I've ever had, but now I'm on a chase for a new dac that can dual RCA output.  Very curious too to find a cheap vintage marantz power amp.

Stello DA100 Signature > Moth EC2a3 > HD800 or k1k
                                   > Melos Sha Gold > Hp-2

Aug 30, 2010 at 5:31 PM Post #854 of 1,660
Blackmore, I actually live here, so I usually buy electronics when I travel. That Almarro sounds interesting, I'll consider that! I think I read somewhere about a K1000 paired with an Almarro, although I'm not completely sure. Still, for that price, it's definitely worth considering.
About being Class A, I know it says that's needed in the manual, but you never know, could be more of a recommendation... is it really necessary? If it is, then there goes the Marantz... unfortunately. It does look very nice!

Aug 30, 2010 at 7:16 PM Post #855 of 1,660

Quote:
Blackmore, I actually live here, so I usually buy electronics when I travel. That Almarro sounds interesting, I'll consider that! I think I read somewhere about a K1000 paired with an Almarro, although I'm not completely sure. Still, for that price, it's definitely worth considering.
About being Class A, I know it says that's needed in the manual, but you never know, could be more of a recommendation... is it really necessary? If it is, then there goes the Marantz... unfortunately. It does look very nice!

If you want a blunt answer then NO,It is a complete fallacy that you need class A to get good sound.If you want an amp that doubles as a room heater and a hot plate then by all means buy one.

As a user of vintage amps I would not hesitate to buy the Marantz, if it is in good condition,remember these amps are old and can have problems, which can be expensive to fix.

Remember that the source (dac) is far more important than the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back