k1000 owners club
Aug 30, 2010 at 7:59 PM Post #856 of 1,660
ford2, to be brutally honest, that's what I wanted to hear! As much as I think it's at least interesting to have a Class A amplifier, I didn't quite like that restriction in the K1000's case. I'm inclined towards the Marantz because of the price, which is still a bit steep (650 dollars) but smaller than the alternatives nevertheless. I did find quite a good deal in a Brazilian amplifier though, made by two local brands (one of them being Audiopax, not that well known abroad but extremely well regarded), which is more expensive but very very interesting! If I'm able to afford it I'll get it; if not, I'll get the Marantz, since it can, like you said, have problems unexpectedly.
As a source I'm kind of limited to a DacMagic by now, do you think it will be a decent match? Still; I suppose I'll have a chance to upgrade it later on if I feel the need (very likely to happen).
And also, thank you very much for your opinions as well!

Aug 31, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #858 of 1,660

Quote:
ford2, to be brutally honest, that's what I wanted to hear! As much as I think it's at least interesting to have a Class A amplifier, I didn't quite like that restriction in the K1000's case. I'm inclined towards the Marantz because of the price, which is still a bit steep (650 dollars) but smaller than the alternatives nevertheless. I did find quite a good deal in a Brazilian amplifier though, made by two local brands (one of them being Audiopax, not that well known abroad but extremely well regarded), which is more expensive but very very interesting! If I'm able to afford it I'll get it; if not, I'll get the Marantz, since it can, like you said, have problems unexpectedly.
As a source I'm kind of limited to a DacMagic by now, do you think it will be a decent match? Still; I suppose I'll have a chance to upgrade it later on if I feel the need (very likely to happen).
And also, thank you very much for your opinions as well!

If you enjoy the DacMagic then there are no problems,there are a zillion different dacs out there,some costing a hell of a lot more than they are worth.In my opinion there are no better dacs only different flavours.

There are far to many dac's judged on what they cost not by how good they sound,same for amps but that is another story.

That local amp could be the best but remember the higher its output the less volume control you will have.

Aug 31, 2010 at 8:56 AM Post #859 of 1,660
That's a very interesting point indeed! Actually lately I've been thinking about that... that in the end, everything related to audio is a matter of preference, which is subjective, so if someone prefers their crappy ibuds to a Sony R10, then that's their (or their wallet's) gain. Same with speakers, amplification and so on... as far as audio goes, there's no such thing as better. Obviously, if there's a general agreement about something you can generalize and say that something is better regarded than something else and therefore more people are going to like it. But what's good audio anyway? People might argue that it's the most accurate representation of the musical event, but then again, in my mind, this is just an opinion. No correct answers for this one! Still... enough of my reflections hahaha!

As much as I like the DacMagic, I fear it can be a little aggressive sometimes. I realized this when I got an Electrocompaniet ECD-1 for the living room's system and plugged it in my bedroom's setup. The K701 changed significantly; every single negative aspect about it got better, including the sometimes piercing highs. So as much as it suits my laid back speakers, in this setup headphones are my priority, so I do have an eye on other DACs (Audio-gd, to be more specific), but that's something to think about later on.
Also, I did a little bit of research and found that this local amp seems like a good match, but I'll only know if I really buy it! I thought about what you said about the volume, and I actually at some point considererd a used Marantz PM8003, but it's a bit too powerful. That Lando Audiopax amp only has 30Wpc, so it should be ok!

Aug 31, 2010 at 6:03 PM Post #861 of 1,660

Quote:
That's a very interesting point indeed! Actually lately I've been thinking about that... that in the end, everything related to audio is a matter of preference, which is subjective, so if someone prefers their crappy ibuds to a Sony R10, then that's their (or their wallet's) gain. Same with speakers, amplification and so on... as far as audio goes, there's no such thing as better. Obviously, if there's a general agreement about something you can generalize and say that something is better regarded than something else and therefore more people are going to like it. But what's good audio anyway? People might argue that it's the most accurate representation of the musical event, but then again, in my mind, this is just an opinion. No correct answers for this one! Still... enough of my reflections hahaha!

As much as I like the DacMagic, I fear it can be a little aggressive sometimes. I realized this when I got an Electrocompaniet ECD-1 for the living room's system and plugged it in my bedroom's setup. The K701 changed significantly; every single negative aspect about it got better, including the sometimes piercing highs. So as much as it suits my laid back speakers, in this setup headphones are my priority, so I do have an eye on other DACs (Audio-gd, to be more specific), but that's something to think about later on.
Also, I did a little bit of research and found that this local amp seems like a good match, but I'll only know if I really buy it! I thought about what you said about the volume, and I actually at some point considererd a used Marantz PM8003, but it's a bit too powerful. That Lando Audiopax amp only has 30Wpc, so it should be ok!

One of the amps I run them from is 25wpc and I could only get to 7 o'clock on the volume,the main reason being the DAC puts out 2v and the amp wants an input of 300mv,so to get decent volume control 9-10 o'clock I had to fit two inline attenuators (12db).

I agree about the DAC,I have one with the Wolfson WM8740 (Same as DacMagic) and it can get a little harsh on some recordings,but the detail is astounding,and I do not like trading detail for musicality.

Some of the new Audio-gd dac's are using the Wolfson WM8741 maybe the harshness has been tamed,if so I will be getting one myself.

Aug 31, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #862 of 1,660
Thank you Blackmore!! That was very helpful, it's always nice to read some good reviews about it. And this is a particularly good one!!

ford2, that's interesting, I'll have a look at the in/output specs on my equipment. That actually "solved a problem" I had when used the living room's integrated amp with the DacMagic - I had to turn the volume up to as high as -16.0dB to get a loud volume, which is weird in a 100W amplifier. I didn't know why that happened, especially because I know other people that have the same amp (Marantz PM-11S2) and they all said that they wouldn't go past something like -40.0dB. Then, when I got the ECD-1, problem solved!
I really like the DacMagic's sound coupled with my bedroom's speakers, but with the K701 I find the highs to be a bit piercing sometimes. And, in my case, I would gladly trade some detail (not too much
wink.gif
) to have that extra edge on musicality!

Sep 2, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #864 of 1,660
Finally, checking in with #02583!
Even though I haven't yet got a decent amplification for it (I'm using my Cambridge 340A SE), it's already unbelievably fantastic! Also, thank you mrarroyo, the money I thought was coming actually isn't, so I'll be unable to get that Brazilian amp that I was considering - unless it stays in the classifieds for a while! Either way, my second option is easily a vintage Marantz, and I believe it will take quite a while to be sold. So, we'll see!

Sep 3, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #865 of 1,660
SN #4273 - these have belonged to at least 2 Head-fi'ers before me so lovingly cared for and respected.

Have not got a matching tube amp for them but trials on my MAD pre w. Audiolab monoblocks (SS) get the thumbs up. I cant believe how "out of the head" they sound!

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:54 AM Post #867 of 1,660
I have the same big and costly question, I am completely balanced and would like to maybe invest in this amp but until I can hear back from others whom exactly have one and can comment 100%,  that the WA22 can defintely drive the K1000 with authority it would be a risk to invest that kind of money and be disappointed if your primary phone was the K1000.

I pose this same question to Jack Wu from Woo Audio and this was his respond!

"K1000 works well in most situation except in high transcient response as extra power is needed".

Quote:
...as a 5min-to-owner of the K1000, would my WA22 be a good match to them? With stock cable (the 4p xlr)? thanx

Quote:
Hey hotubei, if this amp cant drive K1000 then I am an ballerina and do not worry about stock cable, do you think those Austrian engineers were dummy to use this one as basic, dont think so. Dont get me wrong, of course cables make changes, but the question is, what kind...

Sep 6, 2010 at 2:03 PM Post #868 of 1,660

I have the same big and costly question, I am completely balanced and would like to maybe invest in this amp but until I can hear back from others whom exactly have one and can comment 100%,  that the WA22 can defintely drive the K1000 with authority it would be a risk to invest that kind of money and be disappointed if your primary phone was the K1000.

I pose this same question to Jack Wu from Woo Audio and this was his respond!

"K1000 works well in most situation except in high transcient response as extra power is needed".

The WA22 with Sylvania 7236 tubes at RMAF Had good frequency response with K1000, and about as much power as the Eddie Current ZDT which seemed a little softer and duller sounding than the WA22. This was just a few minutes on the amp at a meet, and not my own amp.

I agree with Jack that it works well in most situations, but if you want to listen at high volumes or to music that jumps from very quiet to very loud levels, then more power is needed. Many people find something like the First Watt F1 or RWA 30.2 to be "optimal" for driving K1000. The WA22 (or ZDT) would likely fall into the "adequate" category.

Sep 6, 2010 at 4:24 PM Post #870 of 1,660
I have a condo on Biscayne Blvd that has a club room I will try and reserve time and place.

Miguel do you think on a Saturday and maybe Oct or Nov. I need some advance notice to find out availability to book space if possible.

Maybe I can get someone to bring a WA22 to try!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back