k1000 owners club
May 25, 2010 at 12:48 PM Post #782 of 1,660

Quote:
The only two amps I've used with the K1000 are both very nice and fancy. That's why it may be odd for me to try with a dirt cheap Chinese amp, Meng Mini P1. It uses 6AQ5, and it will land home tomorrow. I do not expect much but who knows, maybe it does a thing or two fine.

Besides, I haven't got any taste of tubes nor poor amplification of the K1000. I'm thrilled. :) If the sound is bad, I can finally appreciate my Marantz the way I should have from the get go. It's a win win situation for some €200.

Ah, the Meng Mini P1. You're right, it isn't he best way to amp the K1000. It does the midrange very well (on par with the Marantz PM80) but lacks bass somewhat completely and the highs are shrill.

What it does right is the 3D imaginery! Holy damn, the guitar ... I can taste the sweaty handle from here.
beerchug.gif

Cute little amp, too.

May 25, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #784 of 1,660
That adapter should be fine, unless the Headphile phone XLR was wired in some odd way, which is unlikely. 
Ron

May 26, 2010 at 1:20 AM Post #785 of 1,660
and my birthday was yesterday :wink:

May 27, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #788 of 1,660
Quote:
Is it just me or did progo reply to himself?

:D Yeah I replied to myself so that others can follow easily. I used "you" there to point out those who knew that cheap tenwatters won't accompany K1000 well.

The Meng absolutely lacks everything below 100 Hz or so. In compressed pop music where the midbass has been exaggerated it sounds okay but with decent material or gaming for instance will take the K1000 to nowhere. It sounds too tinny. A great deal of distortion is present. Sure, tubes ought to distort more than solid state gear, but too much is too much. The Meng's 10 watts aren't the good watts.

Other than the lack of downstairs, I really enjoy the rock. Brings out the tube characteristics really well. It is a lot faster than the Marantz. Sounds more pure, less processed sound. Strictly no-nonsense. If I had decent 8-ohm speakers I would quite probably keep the thing. It's so adorable and cute!

May 29, 2010 at 8:30 AM Post #790 of 1,660
Humm, let's collect the final thoughts about this Meng. Now that I've grown to the sound, I find this little amp very good. Yes, if you don't mind the insane lack of bass (some will appear after a decent warm up and burn-in) I think the rest of the spectrum sounds just wonderful. At $200 or whatever it sells for new I think you've got a steal.

The Marantz may sound thicker in body but it also constitutes to a certain feel of slowness. I've listened to rock, metal, electronic and jazz. It performs fine! The initial shock has dissolved little by little. Against the well known 'truths', this extracts more detail from records than either Technics or Marantz and yet sounds like a stereotypical tube amp: smooth like hammond organ. Not a thing is left muffled. Outstanding!

I recommend. :)

Jun 4, 2010 at 9:54 AM Post #791 of 1,660
Hello all!  Another K1000 user here.  I had them modded with the full Stefan audio art cable.  http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/stefanaudioart2/k1000_2.html  (I hope its ok for me to post a link here.)  Not cheap to say the least, but these things clarity of detail is magical.  I am no a major amp guru.  I am actually powering these with a B&K power amp at 100 watts per channel.  I use these to reference my recording mixes.  They are great!  I have always found the bass to be a bit lacking, though.  So I always listen with a Velodyne subwoofer filling in the lows the lows.  A perfect marriage indeed.  Does anyone else hear augment with a sub?

Jun 4, 2010 at 8:25 PM Post #792 of 1,660

Quote:
Hello all!  Another K1000 user here.  I had them modded with the full Stefan audio art cable.  http://www.sixmoons.com/audioreviews/stefanaudioart2/k1000_2.html  (I hope its ok for me to post a link here.)  Not cheap to say the least, but these things clarity of detail is magical.  I am no a major amp guru.  I am actually powering these with a B&K power amp at 100 watts per channel.  I use these to reference my recording mixes.  They are great!  I have always found the bass to be a bit lacking, though.  So I always listen with a Velodyne subwoofer filling in the lows the lows.  A perfect marriage indeed.  Does anyone else hear augment with a sub?

If I had to use a sub to get decent sound out of headphones I would not be keeping them.I find it strange the number of people who buy/use open phones and expect good low end performance.

I find the K1000 wonderful for certain music genres but abysmal with others,and no source/amp on the planet is going to make up for those deficiencies.

I experimented greatly with the position of the cups even going to the extent of cutting numerous spacers to gauge the position,I now have them in a position that suits the type of music that I listen to.

Whenever I get the feeling that there is something missing I put the Headphile CD3000's on,they put the life back into it.

Anyone for K1000 Woodies.

Jun 5, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #793 of 1,660
Congrats to the new owners!

They are fine, just need the right source/amp combo, thats all, like any other high end headpones. I am not that good in tech details, deep and extended bass I mean, but when the record is well made and have the right amount of bass, man, nothing more that I need.

Jun 5, 2010 at 6:49 AM Post #794 of 1,660
I don't think my K1000 lacks bass either. I do love to listen to it while lying down on the couch with a pillow behind my head so the gap behind the head between the drivers and ears is closed. This makes the bass a bit deeper and the sound a bit warmer overall. 
I am still using my Marantz integrated amp though, I put the class A switch on and the sound isn't bad, but there is room for improvement. By the end of next week my Luxman SQ-N100 will arrive which I hope to be a serious improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back