k1000 owners club
Nov 2, 2009 at 6:55 PM Post #526 of 1,660
Thanks for the replies guys. I ' ll go to a store as soon as possible. Maybe i 'll find some decent amps to test them like a FirstWatt, a Primaluna, a RWA or a 300b set
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 3, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #527 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by gomincha /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The problem is money actually. I know what amps are suitable for K1000 but i don't have the money to buy any of them. I also don't even think about selling them even though i am afraid that they might have some kind of driver problem (bass harshness) when i listened through them with a digital amp (Kingrex T20U).
I want to go to a store and test them with a proper amp like the RWA 30.2 to see if it was just Kingrex's insufficient power which i hope to be.

Oh, sorry to hear!
Sure hope you get ahold of a "perfect" matched amplifier some day.
bigsmile_face.gif

Until then you may want to look into a cheap used one (vintage 70-80's maybe?).
My second K1000 pair came with a Trends TA-10 and it does remarkably well, especially considering its ~$120 price tag. So a new digital amplifier may not be that bad of a match at all.

Quote:

By the way which one do you use when you listen to trance (big fan) K1000 or O2?

I am K1000 only these days. At home that is, as I use a K240 Sextett at the office.
The O2 have not seen use since the Stockholm meeting in early September...

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #528 of 1,660
krmathis, I think I've read somewhere there is a switch box which allows you to use your speaker amp to drive the speakers or the K1000, without having to swap wires.
What is it called, can you help?
Thanks

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:26 PM Post #529 of 1,660
It's called the K1000 Selector. Maybe spelled with a K. If you mean the official AKG one.

You could also easily make one with a wee metal case and some basic parts. Or buy a normal speaker switch and use a pigtail.

Nov 3, 2009 at 6:30 PM Post #530 of 1,660
Thanks a lot Duggeh.

Nov 7, 2009 at 2:24 PM Post #532 of 1,660
jigster, yes this is the one!

Nov 7, 2009 at 7:02 PM Post #534 of 1,660
HeadphoneAddict, Is this an amp or a selector switch?
Could you give me a link please?
Thanks

Nov 7, 2009 at 7:15 PM Post #535 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by rosgr63 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict, Is this an amp or a selector switch?
Could you give me a link please?
Thanks

It's a class-A amp and I don't have a lot of information about it. It is quite powerful, and I suspect I could even damage the K1000 if I turned it up all the way for a while. It has a bit better bass control and definition than my EC ZDT amp, and while the treble was better when I had a GE 5751 tube in the ZDT, now that I have a Sylvania gold pin 5751 in the ZDT the treble is pretty close now (but maybe too bright for the HD800 now).

It has balanced inputs, and universal 110-240v power supply with european plugs that needed an adapter to US plug. It actually stays warmed up all the time, and the power switch only turns on the headphone jack. It's a little bright with my re-cabled balanced HD800, but very nice with my balanced HD600. I have not tried it with my Grados or Denon yet, and also need to try my SFI woodied orthodynamics as well.

I bought it from HiFlight: F.S. SAC K-1000 Class A Amplifier (SAC amp SOLD!) - Head-Fi: Covering Headphones, Earphones and Portable Audio

Nov 7, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #538 of 1,660
krmathis, Thanks for the link!

Nov 7, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #539 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by pearljam5000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HeadphoneAddict i understand you like your HD800 more than the K1000,can you explain why?
sorry if this is off topic...

The HD800 seem to have more detail and transparency, speed and energy, with a more neutral tone and believability than my K1000 which seem a little colored in the midbass and less sparkly in the highs. The HD800 also seem to have more extension in the bass and treble. With the wrong amp the K1000 bass can be more "one-note" or a bass cloud with poor detail and definition in the bass, and the amp needs to be brighter for the K1000 but making it too bright for the HD800. It's easier to find an amp that drives the HD800 nicely than it is the K1000. The SAC beats my ZDT and wiatrob's EHHA with K1000, and I'm told the next step up is the RWA Signature 30.2 or a Firstwatt F1.

The HD800 soundstage is still pretty big with good imaging and instrument placement, while the K1000 image is a little more nebulous like the Stax Lambda or Sigma. It's weird but when I open the K1000 all the way, then the soundstage becomes more like "two blobs" with a hole in the middle (which shouldn't happen) and I have to close the wings to half-way to fill in the center with a good L/R spread. I have tried it with the pads extended as well, with no difference.

Nov 8, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #540 of 1,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's weird but when I open the K1000 all the way, then the soundstage becomes more like "two blobs" with a hole in the middle (which shouldn't happen) and I have to close the wings to half-way to fill in the center with a good L/R spread. I have tried it with the pads extended as well, with no difference.

Weird...not really...angled all the way open ,the drivers are simply firing past the ears with no natural crossfeed. I would be suprised if anyone listened to them this way for any amount of time.

I still have had the best results with 300b amplification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back